Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Elegant Universe -- Can String Theory detect God?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I just wanted to share this U tube video with like minded people and talk about it later if you want.
[youtube:2jcmjzt8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzMEAkI-yrQ[/youtube:2jcmjzt8]

I have a vast knowledge concerning String Theory, I read Brian Greene's book in fact (the guy in the video), it was pretty good.

At this time String Theory is in it's developing stages, there haven't been any independently predicted then later verified predictions yet.

That said, String Theory can't detect God, and if it did it would be a Deistic god, it wouldn't be the Christian one.

azlan88 said:
Since God is outside our universe, I don't think we can "detect" Him...

Well if he has any effect at all on our lives then yes, we can. Jesus coming down and having a beer IS something we can video tape.

The thing is, for us to detect him (or Him, whatever) he has to manifest himself in a natural form. Therefore it's impossible for you to detect him in a supernatural form without first ourselves being supernatural (eg; if the Bible is true then after we're dead.

Physicist said:
I would be happy if String Theory advocates could just show how to detect the reality of Strings. :)

Maybe the strings aren't strings anymore? Let's say a string bent himself over and pulled himself through then messed up his hair?? Is he still a string? No, a frayed knot!! :biggrin

String theory and M-theory are highly theoretical at the moment, but could give us enormous insight some time down the line. As any hypothesis it makes certain predictions (i.e. it is falsifiable), but we do not yet have the technology to test it.

To quote wikipedia: "String theory as a theory of everything has been criticized as unscientific because it is so difficult to test by experiments. The controversy concerns two properties:

1.It is widely believed that any theory of quantum gravity would require extremely high energies to probe directly, higher by orders of magnitude than those that current experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider can reach.
2.String theory as it is currently understood has a huge number of equally possible solutions, called string vacua and these vacua might be sufficiently diverse to explain almost any phenomena we might observe at lower energies.
If these properties are true, string theory as a theory of everything would have little or no predictive power for low energy particle physics experiments. Because the theory is so difficult to test, some theoretical physicists have asked if it can even be called a scientific theory. Notable critics include Peter Woit, Lee Smolin, Philip Warren Anderson, Sheldon Glashow, Lawrence Krauss, and Carlo Rovelli.

All string theory models are quantum mechanical, Lorentz invariant, unitary and contain Einstein's General Relativity as a low energy limit. Therefore to falsify string theory, it would suffice to falsify quantum mechanics, Lorentz invariance, or general relativity. Hence string theory is falsifiable and meets the definition of scientific theory according to the Popperian criterion. However to constitute a convincing potential verification of string theory, a prediction should be specific to it, not shared by any quantum field theory model or by General Relativity.

One such unique prediction is string harmonics: at sufficiently high energies—probably near the quantum gravity scale—the string-like nature of particles would become obvious. There should be heavier copies of all particles corresponding to higher vibrational states of the string. But it is not clear how high these energies are. In the most likely case, they would be 10^15 times higher than those accessible in the newest particle accelerator, the LHC, making this prediction impossible to test with a particle accelerator in the foreseeable future."

In other words; unless you are seriously interested in physics, and more accurately quantum physics, I would wait until we have something more solid to go on here. ;)

I agree that, where it may be fun to speculate on various hypothesis, it should be left to the theoretical. From viewing the video, however, if what they say is true, [again, as I speculate] it could be a possible theory to address things that seem to be "supernatural". Sightings of ghosts, UFOs, . . . faeries, . . . . . whatever people claim to have "seen".

Interesting video.

parrell universes, that would explain alot for me. Say for instance there is this house down the road from me I sit and watched them work on this thing for months. I went by the other day and the paint looked like it has been on it for decades.

Or the paint on my appartment sign, once it was white the next day it was black then back white again.

Just little stuff that make me think I was nuts. Little unnoticeable things to the everyday person. I'm a drater so I notice the little things.

As for my input to string theory, Logarithmic spiral encompassing up the DNA column (tetrahedron) into a Kline bottle of sorts. You'd have to know sacred geometry to understand it.

Back