Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

ELIJAH AND ZERUBBABEL ARE THE TWO WITNESSES

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Jesus told us that Elijah will be one of the two witnesses in Mal 4:5-6 when He told Malachi He is going to send Elijah before the great and terrible day of the Lord, which takes place at Armageddon when Jesus throws the Antichrist and the False Prophet into the lake of fire alive and destroys his armies.
Mal 4:5-6 "Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. 6 "And he will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse."

According to Mat 17:10-12 and Mark 9:12 John the Baptist was not the returning Elijah. After John the Baptist had already been beheaded Jesus stated that Elijah is still coming I Mat 17:11 and Mark 9:12.
Matt. 17:10 And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?” 11 And He answered and said, “Elijah is coming and will restore all things; 12 but I say to you, that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.”
Mark 9:11-12 And they asked Him, saying, "Why is it that the scribes say that Elijah must come first?" 12 And He said to them, "Elijah does first come and restore all things. And yet how is it written of the Son of Man that He should suffer many things and be treated with contempt?

The answer to why Jesus said that Elijah had already come and that he will come in the future is found when we compare the effect that John was having at the time and the effect that Elijah will have when he comes, which as is stated in Luke 1:13-17 and Mal 4:5-6 is that both caused the hearts of fathers to turn back to the children.
Luke 1:13 But the angel said to him, “ Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your petition has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will give him the name John. 14 “And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. 15 “For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine or liquor; and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, while yet in his mother’s womb. 16 “And he will turn back many of the sons of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 “And it is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, TO TURN THE HEARTS OF THE FATHERS BACK TO THE CHILDREN, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous; so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
Mal 4:5-6 "Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. 6 "And he will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse."

John himself said he was not Elijah who is to come.
John 1:19-21 And this is the witness of John, when the Jews sent to him priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?" 20 And he confessed, and did not deny, and he confessed, "I am not the Christ." 21 And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" And he said^, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."

If anybody has an ear, another correlation pointing out Elijah as one of the two witnesses is found in the number 3 ½ years, which is the number of years that He will prophesy during the time the antichrist rules over Jerusalem.
James 5:17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain; and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months.
Rev 11:3-4 "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth." 4 These are he two olive trees and the two lamp stands that stand before the Lord of the earth.
Rev. 11:6 These have the power to shut up the sky, so that rain will not fall during the days of their prophesying; and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.

After Elijah had been taken to heaven the prophet Malachi prophesied in Mal 4:5-6 that Elijah would be sent in the future before the great and terrible day of the Lord or the time when Jesus throws the antichrist and the false prophet into the lake of fire and destroy his armies.

1Kings 17:1 and James 5:17 correlate with Rev 11:3 & 6 in two ways that point out that Elijah is one of the two witnesses. During the time of King Ahab Elijah was given the power to shut up the rain (1King 17:1), which according to Rev 11:6 the same power is given to the two witnesses. The length of time that Elijah shut up the rain during the reign of King Ahab was 3 ½ years (James 5:17), which according to Rev 11:3 is the same length of time that the two witnesses are given the same power.
1Kings 17:1 Now Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the settlers of Gilead, said to Ahab, “As the LORD, the God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, surely there shall be neither dew nor rain these years, except by my word.”
James 5:17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months.
Rev 11:3 “And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.”
Rev 11:6 These have the power to shut up the sky, so that rain will not fall during the days of their prophesying; and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.

Jesus tells us that Zerubbabel is be one of the two witnesses in Hag 2:21-23 when He says that He will make Zerubbabel a signet ring at the time He shakes the heavens and the earth.
Hag. 2:21 “Speak to Zerubbabel governor of Judah saying, ‘I am going to shake the heavens and the earth. 22 ‘And I will overthrow the thrones of kingdoms and destroy the power of the kingdoms of the nations; and I will overthrow the chariots and their riders, and the horses and their riders will go down, everyone by the sword of another.’ 23 ‘On that day,’ declares the LORD of hosts, ‘I will take you, Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, My servant,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will make you like a signet ring, for I have chosen you,’” declares the LORD of hosts.

Zech 4:6 tells us that Zerubbabel will be one of the two witnesses when after referring to him as one of the two olive trees beside the lamp stand in Zech 4:3 it states that the deeds described in Zech 4: 7 represent the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel.
Zech. 4:1 Then the angel who was speaking with me returned, and roused me as a man who is awakened from his sleep. 2 And he said to me, “ What do you see?” And I said, “I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it; 3 also two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl and the other on its left side.” 4 Then I answered and said to the angel who was speaking with me saying, “What are these, my lord?” 5 So the angel who was speaking with me answered and said to me, “ Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 6 Then he answered and said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, ‘ Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts. 7 ‘What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”’” 8 Also the word of the LORD came to me saying, 9 “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house, and his hands will finish it. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you. 10 “For who has despised the day of small things? But these seven will be glad when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel — these are the eyes of the LORD which range to and fro throughout the earth.” 11 Then I answered and said to him, “What are these two olive trees on the right of the lampstand and on its left?” 12 And I answered the second time and said to him, “What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?” 13 So he answered me saying, “ Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 14 Then he said, “These are the two anointed ones, who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth.”

Zec 4:14 and Rev 11:3-4 point out that Zerubbabel is one of the two witnesses when they both refer to him as one the two olive trees that stand before the Lord.
Zec 4:12-14 And I answered the second time and said to him, "What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?" 13 So he answered me saying, "Do you not know what these are?" And I said, "No, my lord." 14 Then he said, "These are the two anointed ones, who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth."
Rev 11:3-4 "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth." 4 These are the two olive trees and the two lamp stands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

I should know the names of the two witnesses after the king of the north send them to Israel. Untill then I don't think I will know their names.

Jesus told us that Elijah will be one of the two witnesses in Mal 4:5-6 when He told Malachi He is going to send Elijah before the great and terrible day of the Lord, which takes place at Armageddon when Jesus throws the Antichrist and the False Prophet into the lake of fire alive and destroys his armies.

According to Mat 17:10-12 and Mark 9:12 John the Baptist was not the returning Elijah. After John the Baptist had already been beheaded Jesus stated that Elijah is still coming I Mat 17:11 and Mark 9:12.
Matt. 17:10 And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?” 11 And He answered and said, “Elijah is coming and will restore all things; 12 but I say to you, that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.”
Mark 9:11-12 And they asked Him, saying, "Why is it that the scribes say that Elijah must come first?" 12 And He said to them, "Elijah does first come and restore all things. And yet how is it written of the Son of Man that He should suffer many things and be treated with contempt?

The answer to why Jesus said that Elijah had already come and that he will come in the future is found when we compare the effect that John was having at the time and the effect that Elijah will have when he comes, which as is stated in Luke 1:13-17 and Mal 4:5-6 is that both caused the hearts of fathers to turn back to the children.
Luke 1:13 But the angel said to him, “ Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your petition has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will give him the name John. 14 “And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. 15 “For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine or liquor; and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, while yet in his mother’s womb. 16 “And he will turn back many of the sons of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 “And it is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, TO TURN THE HEARTS OF THE FATHERS BACK TO THE CHILDREN, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous; so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

John himself said he was not Elijah who is to come.
John 1:19-21 And this is the witness of John, when the Jews sent to him priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?" 20 And he confessed, and did not deny, and he confessed, "I am not the Christ." 21 And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" And he said^, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."

If anybody has an ear, another correlation pointing out Elijah as one of the two witnesses is found in the number 3 ½ years, which is the number of years that He will prophesy during the time the antichrist rules over Jerusalem.
James 5:17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain; and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months.
Rev 11:3-4 "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth." 4 These are he two olive trees and the two lamp stands that stand before the Lord of the earth.
Rev. 11:6 These have the power to shut up the sky, so that rain will not fall during the days of their prophesying; and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.

After Elijah had been taken to heaven the prophet Malachi prophesied in Mal 4:5-6 that Elijah would be sent in the future before the great and terrible day of the Lord or the time when Jesus throws the antichrist and the false prophet into the lake of fire and destroy his armies.

1Kings 17:1 and James 5:17 correlate with Rev 11:3 & 6 in two ways that point out that Elijah is one of the two witnesses. During the time of King Ahab Elijah was given the power to shut up the rain (1King 17:1), which according to Rev 11:6 the same power is given to the two witnesses. The length of time that Elijah shut up the rain during the reign of King Ahab was 3 ½ years (James 5:17), which according to Rev 11:3 is the same length of time that the two witnesses are given the same power.
1Kings 17:1 Now Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the settlers of Gilead, said to Ahab, “As the LORD, the God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, surely there shall be neither dew nor rain these years, except by my word.”
James 5:17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months.
Rev 11:3 “And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.”
Rev 11:6 These have the power to shut up the sky, so that rain will not fall during the days of their prophesying; and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.

Jesus tells us that Zerubbabel is be one of the two witnesses in Hag 2:21-23 when He says that He will make Zerubbabel a signet ring at the time He shakes the heavens and the earth.
Hag. 2:21 “Speak to Zerubbabel governor of Judah saying, ‘I am going to shake the heavens and the earth. 22 ‘And I will overthrow the thrones of kingdoms and destroy the power of the kingdoms of the nations; and I will overthrow the chariots and their riders, and the horses and their riders will go down, everyone by the sword of another.’ 23 ‘On that day,’ declares the LORD of hosts, ‘I will take you, Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, My servant,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will make you like a signet ring, for I have chosen you,’” declares the LORD of hosts.

Zech 4:6 tells us that Zerubbabel will be one of the two witnesses when after referring to him as one of the two olive trees beside the lamp stand in Zech 4:3 it states that the deeds described in Zech 4: 7 represent the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel.
Zech. 4:1 Then the angel who was speaking with me returned, and roused me as a man who is awakened from his sleep. 2 And he said to me, “ What do you see?” And I said, “I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it; 3 also two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl and the other on its left side.” 4 Then I answered and said to the angel who was speaking with me saying, “What are these, my lord?” 5 So the angel who was speaking with me answered and said to me, “ Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 6 Then he answered and said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, ‘ Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts. 7 ‘What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”’” 8 Also the word of the LORD came to me saying, 9 “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house, and his hands will finish it. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you. 10 “For who has despised the day of small things? But these seven will be glad when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel — these are the eyes of the LORD which range to and fro throughout the earth.” 11 Then I answered and said to him, “What are these two olive trees on the right of the lampstand and on its left?” 12 And I answered the second time and said to him, “What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?” 13 So he answered me saying, “ Do you not know what these are?” And I said, “No, my lord.” 14 Then he said, “These are the two anointed ones, who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth.”

Zec 4:14 and Rev 11:3-4 point out that Zerubbabel is one of the two witnesses when they both refer to him as one the two olive trees that stand before the Lord.
Zec 4:12-14 And I answered the second time and said to him, "What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?" 13 So he answered me saying, "Do you not know what these are?" And I said, "No, my lord." 14 Then he said, "These are the two anointed ones, who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth."
Rev 11:3-4 "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth." 4 These are the two olive trees and the two lamp stands that stand before the Lord of the earth.

I should know the names of the two witnesses after the king of the north send them to Israel. Untill then I don't think I will know their names.

However I would say that it needs to be considered that God is not going to allow a man to die, experience heaven and then come back to physically die a second time. That would go against severaal Scriptures one being .........Hebrews 9:27 = "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment".

That is why it will not be Elija or Zerubbabel or Moses or John the Baptist.

Personally I am one who believes that the Two witness will be converted Jewish Rabbi's who are saved at the time of the Rapture.

Back