Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Esteem others higher than yourself?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

cyberjosh

I've been thinking about Romans 12:10 which says to give preference to others meaning to esteem them higher than yourself. But is there any qualifying factors to this? I can easily see this as applied to other believers, and not having a "holier than thou" attitude, but am I to esteem the unregenerate drunken fornicator better than myself? I know I am only saved through Christ's power but I can hardly think of the drunk in a better position than I who am standing in Christ's marvelous light as he cleanses me from sin (and ofcourse I do my part in sanctification). But do you see what I am asking? How or am I even supposed to esteem such a one better than myself? I can't see how in honesty (nothing to do with emotion or opinions) I could admit that they are in a better position than I, for I know it is not true if they are dead in their sin. For I know that if I were in that position I would be worse off than I am now, not better.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

God Bless,

~Josh

I found this quote by a Christian author not too long ago. I think it sums up this issue nicely:

Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.

Veritas said:
I found this quote by a Christian author not too long ago. I think it sums up this issue nicely:

That's a nice quote on humility, however that does not address the question concerning the active operation of esteeming someone else.

Veritas said:

I heard something similiar:

Humility is knowing who and whose you are; no more and no less

cybershark5886 said:
That's a nice quote on humility, however that does not address the question concerning the active operation of esteeming someone else.

If I may suggest quickly - and this is not implying that you haven't - however, put it in the context of the whole passage of Romans 12

aLoneVoice said:
If I may suggest quickly - and this is not implying that you haven't - however, put it in the context of the whole passage of Romans 12

Yes. I actually have Romans 12:9-18 on the front and back of my door, and its been there for a year or so, so that I see it every day when I go in and when I leave.

P.S. I hope later when people have more time that some one could post a decently long post to explore this in depth. Thanks.

~Josh

cybershark5886 said:
...Can anyone shed some light on this please?

You esteem others more highly by having the heart of a servant. The hypothetical drunk is in need of your service. By putting aside your own wants and needs, and helping him, you esteem him more highly.

In the same way that Jesus Christ left glory to walk this earth, heal the sick, feed the hungry, forgive sin, and preach the love of God.

You esteem others more highly by having the heart of a servant. The hypothetical drunk is in need of your service. By putting aside your own wants and needs, and helping him, you esteem him more highly.

Ah, so its more about doing than actually an opinion or thought about someone? Is it saying not that we should necessarily think of them as better than ourselves but rather more deserving of our service than we should serve ourselves (in other words thinking of others more than we think of ourself)? Because if you are right then this makes more sense and is in keeping with the following command of "associate with the lowly", meaning to serve those who may not be in as good a position as you.

God Bless,

~Josh

cybershark5886 said:
Ah, so its more about doing than actually an opinion or thought about someone? Is it saying not that we should necessarily think of them as better than ourselves but rather more deserving of our service than we should serve ourselves (in other words thinking of others more than we think of ourself)? Because if you are right then this makes more sense and is in keeping with the following command of "associate with the lowly", meaning to serve those who may not be in as good a position as you.

God Bless,

~Josh

The thoughts tend to follow. You hear their story. Find out why they are like they are. Hear of the abuse that they have been through. Or why they abuse others. Your thinking changes. Your heart changes. You find yourslef wanting to make a difference, and lead them to the Lord.

“Humility is like underwear, essential, but indecent if it shows†Helen Nielsen

I am sorry, I just couldn't resist. Seriously, we are to esteem others as greater then ourselves, because it is the model and the example we have in Jesus, though equal with God condescended and became man (Phil2:1-11).
GMS

Romans 12

Hi Cyber,

I always thought that it meant that we should be willing to honor others before ourselves...specifically brethren, but I think it may even go farther than that into other relationships (throughout the passage he seems to bounce back and forth between the church and all men.)...like bosses, non-believing friends, family, etc. We should be willing to hear them, not feel as if we can't possibly learn from them...even in our very different doctrines and lifestyles. Even unbelievers practice some principals of God, and are blessed by the consequence of doing that...we should always be gleaning for God's Truth at every turn and with every encounter. Basically we should have a heart to not seek to be right, or to be prideful in any thoughts or actions, but rather to have a lowly heart, like Christ, filled with compassion. And a spirit open to the leading of the Spirit, and a willingness to learn.

Even the drunkard that you refer to should be honored and esteemed, and what would that do to someone in that situation to be esteemed? Prepare them to hear the Gospel maybe? I can't remember the exact details about the man who deliberately lived in a homeless situation to learn more about it, but I understand that one of his observations was that people did not make eye contact with him...people won't even look at them. I think Christ would have reached out to such people, and esteemed them. The Good Samaritan comes to mind. Once outside a Christian coffee shop I ran into a homeless man, and I offered to buy him a coffee...he said, no. As I started to walk away, he said I would take any old Bibles you may have, though. I asked him what he did with them, and he said that he gives them to other people who are homeless. He told me that God has called him to live among them and share the Gospel. I thought it was an amazing ministry.

Two short stories. Once while I was visiting in New York with my dad we were down near the Grand Central when a man asked him for a few dollars. He was wearing layers of clothing, and it was quite cold that day. I was sixteen at the time. Anyway, my dad handed him a few dollars. While he was getting the money out, the man told my dad he looked like Burt Renyolds :biggrin ...trying to flatter him maybe?...and engaged in a little small talk for a bit. Anyway, my dad told him it was kind of him to compliment him, that he had a few dollars to spare, wished him a wonderful night and told him it was nice chatting. When he left, I told my dad he was probably just saying those things to get money, and would end up spending it for a drink or something. My dad said that he had been low in his life before, and that a few dollars and a small chat go along way in that type of situation...anyone could wake up one day in a bad situation, and it could lead them way down, and so it's better to show kindness...it could be me, or you. He also told me that that drink might keep him warm. My dad was not a believer, and I was, and I was ashamed that I only looked at that man with thoughts of detest...not even seeing him as human really, and certainly not thinking that I...or my dad...could ever be like him. I suppose I didn't really keep it forefront that I stand only by the grace of God.

Second story. My younger brother once got in to a fight as a young child with few older boys at a park near his house. (we were separated at a young age) The police walked him home, and his mom was prepared to hear something awful. The policeman told her that they were patrolling near the park when he saw some older boys pestering a homeless man, and saw my brother trying to get them to stop. The police ended up ultimately taking the homeless man in. My brother was upset over this and began to cry, then he ran over to his things to get a susie Q to give to the man. It was the only thing he could think to do, and for a little guy it was a kind act...the tears, and the treat, were both offered on this man's behalf. The policeman told his mom that he was very impressed with his caring heart, and assured my brother that they were going to take him to a shelter and not jail. I think that is courage, and compassion, and honoring.

I hope you don't mind the stories, but I thought they could be examples of keeping our thoughts, and our actions, lowly. In doctrines, an in life situations, we have all fallen short and not one of us should seek self-esteem or honor for ourselves, but be aware that our steadiness, and righteousness, are because of Christ alone, and that we should be sacrificial in our mindset because of Him...for His sake. I hope this helps answer your question a bit. The Lord bless you.

lovely said:
Romans 12

Hi Cyber,

I always thought that it meant that we should be willing to honor others before ourselves...specifically brethren, but I think it may even go farther than that into other relationships (throughout the passage he seems to bounce back and forth between the church and all men.)...like bosses, non-believing friends, family, etc. We should be willing to hear them, not feel as if we can't possibly learn from them...even in our very different doctrines and lifestyles. Even unbelievers practice some principals of God, and are blessed by the consequence of doing that...we should always be gleaning for God's Truth at every turn and with every encounter. Basically we should have a heart to not seek to be right, or to be prideful in any thoughts or actions, but rather to have a lowly heart, like Christ, filled with compassion. And a spirit open to the leading of the Spirit, and a willingness to learn.

Even the drunkard that you refer to should be honored and esteemed, and what would that do to someone in that situation to be esteemed? Prepare them to hear the Gospel maybe? I can't remember the exact details about the man who deliberately lived in a homeless situation to learn more about it, but I understand that one of his observations was that people did not make eye contact with him...people won't even look at them. I think Christ would have reached out to such people, and esteemed them. The Good Samaritan comes to mind. Once outside a Christian coffee shop I ran into a homeless man, and I offered to buy him a coffee...he said, no. As I started to walk away, he said I would take any old Bibles you may have, though. I asked him what he did with them, and he said that he gives them to other people who are homeless. He told me that God has called him to live among them and share the Gospel. I thought it was an amazing ministry.

Two short stories. Once while I was visiting in New York with my dad we were down near the Grand Central when a man asked him for a few dollars. He was wearing layers of clothing, and it was quite cold that day. I was sixteen at the time. Anyway, my dad handed him a few dollars. While he was getting the money out, the man told my dad he looked like Burt Renyolds :biggrin ...trying to flatter him maybe?...and engaged in a little small talk for a bit. Anyway, my dad told him it was kind of him to compliment him, that he had a few dollars to spare, wished him a wonderful night and told him it was nice chatting. When he left, I told my dad he was probably just saying those things to get money, and would end up spending it for a drink or something. My dad said that he had been low in his life before, and that a few dollars and a small chat go along way in that type of situation...anyone could wake up one day in a bad situation, and it could lead them way down, and so it's better to show kindness...it could be me, or you. He also told me that that drink might keep him warm. My dad was not a believer, and I was, and I was ashamed that I only looked at that man with thoughts of detest...not even seeing him as human really, and certainly not thinking that I...or my dad...could ever be like him. I suppose I didn't really keep it forefront that I stand only by the grace of God.

Second story. My younger brother once got in to a fight as a young child with few older boys at a park near his house. (we were separated at a young age) The police walked him home, and his mom was prepared to hear something awful. The policeman told her that they were patrolling near the park when he saw some older boys pestering a homeless man, and saw my brother trying to get them to stop. The police ended up ultimately taking the homeless man in. My brother was upset over this and began to cry, then he ran over to his things to get a susie Q to give to the man. It was the only thing he could think to do, and for a little guy it was a kind act...the tears, and the treat, were both offered on this man's behalf. The policeman told his mom that he was very impressed with his caring heart, and assured my brother that they were going to take him to a shelter and not jail. I think that is courage, and compassion, and honoring.

I hope you don't mind the stories, but I thought they could be examples of keeping our thoughts, and our actions, lowly. In doctrines, an in life situations, we have all fallen short and not one of us should seek self-esteem or honor for ourselves, but be aware that our steadiness, and righteousness, are because of Christ alone, and that we should be sacrificial in our mindset because of Him...for His sake. I hope this helps answer your question a bit. The Lord bless you.

thanks for sharing!

The prince of preachers, Charles Spurgeon, defined humility as, “making a right estimate of one’s self.†Another person wrote, “Humility is not denying the power or gifting you have, but admitting that the gifting is from God, and the power comes through you and not from you.†And Micah 6:8 says “..,what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, to love mercy, and walk humbly with your God.†So, how does one accomplish this requirement?
According to Scripture we are to imitate Christ's Humility and in Phil. 2:1-11 we have a description of that process:
1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,
2then make my joy complete by being likeminded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death– even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Probably the hardest, most difficult task we have as believers is to live a life in humility, by placing others first, above our “selfish ambitions†and “vain conceitâ€Â. Fortunately, for us, the first 2 verses tell us how we are to accomplish a humble life. “Encouragementâ€Â, “comfort from His love†and “fellowship with the Spiritâ€Â, enables us to have tenderness and compassion for our fellow man. Jesus states, “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit, for without Me you can do nothing.†So, the very first understanding, we must have, is that our strength comes from the vine or Jesus as we abide or place others first.
From verse 5 to verse 8, we have the incredible example of our Lord Jesus in what epitomizes humility, though equal with God from the beginning of time, He humbles Himself and becomes man. The creator of the universe subjects Himself to the realm of the created and does what the first Adam could not do and lives a life without sin, though tempted in every way. As the second Adam, He takes upon Himself the sins of the world and dies the humiliating death of a Roman cross. We as the faithful must come to a realization of this ultimate humility, to live a life even remotely like our Saviour’s. From Andrew Murray’s book “Humility†we read about the importance of a sound knowledge of Christ’s humility: “In this view it is of inconceivable importance that we should have the right thoughts of what Christ is- of what really constitutes Him the Christ- and specially of what may be counted His chief characteristic, the root and essence of all His character as our Redeemer. There can be but one answer: it is His humility. What is the incarnation but His heavenly humility, His emptying Himself and becoming man? What is His life on earth but humility, His taking the form of a servant? And what is His atonement but humility? “He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death.†And what is His ascension and His glory but humility exalted to the throne and crowned with glory? “He humbled Himself, therefore God highly exalted Him.†In heaven (where He was) with the Father, in His birth, in His life, in His death, in His sitting on the throne, it is all- it is nothing but humility. Christ is the humility of God embodied in human nature: the Eternal Love humbling itself, clothing itself in the garb of meekness and gentleness, to win and serve and save us. … And so He is still in the midst of the throne, the meek and lowly Lamb of God.â€Â
By having an understanding of the humility of our High Priest Jesus, we are more inclined to imitate our Lord by placing or honoring the other person above ourselves, which we in our own strength can never do. Thanks are to our God, that what is impossible for man is not impossible for God as He works in and through us, His saints.
Bubba

BRAINS! MASTER?
zombie_embarassed.gif
zombie_smiley.gif
zombie_grin.gif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back