Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Carly Mac

Esther 5: 1-8 NLT

We are continuing with our series, “Esther: The Story of Purim”. Part 11 is called, “God Saves the Humble”, and we discuss how Esther obtains favor with King Xerxes. The question we will address today is, what happens when we humble ourselves before God?

Prayer and fasting:

Mordecai’s intercession opened up the door for God to soften the hearts of the Jewish population in all of the Persian empire. Many Jews turned to God and prayed in unity for their deliverance.

Mordecai’s intercession also allowed God to work on Esther’s heart. When Esther heard the cause of Mordecai’s mourning, she was deeply distressed. She struggled with her foster father’s command to go to the king and mediate on behalf of her people. But, she humbled herself before God and realized that she was crowned queen at this time and in this place, to save her people.

But she needed courage that could only come from God. At Esther’s command, Mordecai rounded up all the Jews of Susa and told them to fast for her. He revealed to them that their queen was a Jew and she will represent them to the king and plead for their lives. Many of the Jews were already in mourning and in prayer. When they combined those elements with fasting, they watched God perform miracle after miracle.

Esther 5:1

On the third day of the fast, Esther put on her royal robes and entered the inner court of the palace, just across from the king’s hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne, facing the entrance.

On the third day:

Three is significant because it refers to the Trinity. Three also means resurrection. Jesus arose from the dead on the third day and reversed the situation that was meant to destroy His movement. On the third day, Esther marched into the inner court of the palace to reverse the decree that would annihilate her people.

Moving forward in God’s will:

Without an invitation from the king, and under the penalty of death, the time has come for Esther to move forward in God’s will. Using her authority as queen, she dressed in her royal robes because she was visiting the king in a business capacity as she entered the royal court. Robes also represent righteousness and justice in the Bible (Job 29:14 & Isaiah 61:10). Representing God’s people and His agenda, Esther entered the inner court of Persia to rectify an egregious wrong and to dispense justice.

Esther 5:2

When he saw Queen Esther standing there in the inner court, he welcomed her and held out the gold scepter to her. So Esther approached and touched the end of the scepter.

The results of prayer and fasting:

I always heard that fasting is for the individual in order to amplify the voice of God in our own spirit. And certainly that is true. However, fasting combined with prayer also opens the spiritual door for God to work on the heart’s of others. The book of Esther is proof positive of this.

Prayer and fasting is the ultimate act of humility before God. It shows Him that there is nothing in this world that can change a heart or alter dire circumstances so we can only depend on Him for an answer. Esther just experienced a miracle! The 3 days of prayer and fasting softened the king’s heart.

Remember, if the king did not extend his scepter to someone who was not invited into the inner court, they would be put to death. Esther made a bold move by coming into the court without an invitation. But, Xerxes didn’t interpret her action as an act of defiance. His eyes were open to what a jewel he had in Esther. He didn’t want to repeat the same mistake he made with Vashti. Esther was warmly received into his presence and he immediately extended his golden scepter to preserve her life.

Esther 5:3

Then the king asked her, “What do you want, Queen Esther? What is your request? I will give it to you, even if it is half the kingdom!”

Favor brings salvation:

Humility produced the grace of God, His divine favor enveloped Esther. Divine favor brings salvation, the deliverance of a person or an entire people from peril. Not only did Xerxes publicly honor her and preserve her life, but he was determined to fulfill her desire.

Titus 2:11

For the grace (divine favor) of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men...

Esther 5:4

And Esther replied, “If it pleases the king, let the king and Haman come today to a banquet I have prepared for the king.”

Esther believed God answers prayer:

Esther definitely believed that God would answer the prayers of His people and respond to their fast. Ready for the occasion, she entered the inner court in the capacity of queen, but appealed to Xerxes as a loving wife who respected her husband. She did not come empty handed but arranged for her servants to prepare all his favorite foods! Not only that, Esther invited his best friend, Haman, to the feast.

Esther 5:5

The king turned to his attendants and said, “Tell Haman to come quickly to a banquet, as Esther has requested.” So the king and Haman went to Esther’s banquet.

Go get Haman!

Xerxes stopped all orders of business and responded to her request. Immediately, he dispatched his men to drive Haman over to Esther’s banquet. He probably thought that Esther was in need of his services to divine the future.

Esther 5:6

And while they were drinking wine, the king said to Esther, “Now tell me what you really want. What is your request? I will give it to you, even if it is half the kingdom!”

Wine:

Xerxes and his wine. Yep. He firmly believed that truth could only be revealed when wine was flowing in the veins. He appreciated Esther’s respectful and generous gesture. But he knew his wife had a very personal need that only he could meet. Filled with love towards his bride, he was determined to take care of her problem and was willing to give her half of his kingdom. He said it twice and he really meant it.

Esther 5: 7, 8

Esther replied, “This is my request and deepest wish. If I have found favor with the king, and if it pleases the king to grant my request and do what I ask, please come with Haman tomorrow to the banquet I will prepare for you. Then I will explain what this is all about.”

The number 2:

Twice, the king offered Esther half of his kingdom, and twice she requested that he attend her banquet. Esther’s response was revealing. In other words, she is about to tell him the entire truth and it wouldn’t require wine to do so.

The number 2 can mean division. In this case, Xerxes is certainly taking action against God’s will while Esther is in the process of reestablishing God’s will. Two can also mean that two become one physically, emotionally, in spirit, and in purpose.

It is my opinion that the Holy Spirit prompted Esther not to make her request the first time around, but to prepare another banquet the following day. Fasting and prayer does amplify the voice of God in our hearts and Esther was listening and submitting to her heavenly Father just as she has submitted to her earthly father all her life.

Let’s pray:

Father,

Fasting with prayer amplifies Your voice in my spirit and softens the hearts of those I am praying for. I humble myself before You. Thank You for surrounding me with Your divine favor that brings salvation, my deliverance from danger. In Jesus name, Amen.

© 2020 Foundedonthebible.com

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back