Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Eternal Conscious Torment and Justice

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Introduction

An often overlooked issue (though I try to bring it up in discussions) is the Justice involved with the Eternal Conscious Torment perspective regarding God's final punishment of the wicked.

A frequent objection to my own position is an appeal to how the wicked somehow get off "easy" by being utterly destroyed. Which is a rather odd objection and would only be found by those who have conceptualized God as being an eternal tormentor. However, the objection remains nonetheless, but I think it misses the point. The point isn't what is the worst punishment imaginable, instead it is what is the Just punishment for the crime committed.

What is Just about Eternal Conscious Torment?

It is first important to understand that people don't send themselves to Hell. It is not the wicked who choose to go into hell, they are punished and cast in. For example, if I said, "I cast a rock into the lake," who would believe that the rock cast itself into the lake? The language is clear that those being cast into the lake of fire are being acted upon, they themselves could not possibly be acting on themselves and casting themselves in based upon the grammar.

Next, we must understand that people are sent in because they are being punished. The key component to this punishment according to those who hold to the ECT view, is their torment.

This is in line with the definition of torture as seen here: "the act of causing severe physical pain as a form of punishment."[1] (Please note that mental suffering and anguish also falls under the definition of this word)

It fits the description because they are..

1. Experiencing severe physical and/or mental anguish.
2. As a punishment for what they have done.

Now what is made right by this type of punishment? Is the sinner's way reformed? No. It is said to be for God to satisfy his wrath.

Think on this for a moment... our Lord Jesus Christ, our compassionate, gentle and loving savior has a deep need to see his wrath poured out on billions of people for all eternity.

Beloved, there is nothing Just about this concept. Tyrants and dictators are just by this standard, who torture those who oppose them and satisfy their own anger and fury. No wrong is made right by the anguish of billions of people suffering torment for quadrillions of years.

Conclusion

We would not afford any earthly dominion to exact justice via torture and torment, and this is because this merciless and barbaric form of punishment goes against every concept of justice we hold dear. God is righteous and therefore will do what is right, and there is nothing righteous about billions of human beings created in the image of God suffering torment for an infinite duration.

My challenge for those who hold to the Eternal Conscious Torment view is this, how is the torment of billions of people for an infinite duration a Just punishment?

Regards,
DI

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/torture

Introduction

An often overlooked issue (though I try to bring it up in discussions) is the Justice involved with the Eternal Conscious Torment perspective regarding God's final punishment of the wicked.

A frequent objection to my own position is an appeal to how the wicked somehow get off "easy" by being utterly destroyed. Which is a rather odd objection and would only be found by those who have conceptualized God as being an eternal tormentor. However, the objection remains nonetheless, but I think it misses the point. The point isn't what is the worst punishment imaginable, instead it is what is the Just punishment for the crime committed.

What is Just about Eternal Conscious Torment?

It is first important to understand that people don't send themselves to Hell. It is not the wicked who choose to go into hell, they are punished and cast in. For example, if I said, "I cast a rock into the lake," who would believe that the rock cast itself into the lake? The language is clear that those being cast into the lake of fire are being acted upon, they themselves could not possibly be acting on themselves and casting themselves in based upon the grammar.

Next, we must understand that people are sent in because they are being punished. The key component to this punishment according to those who hold to the ECT view, is their torment.

This is in line with the definition of torture as seen here: "the act of causing severe physical pain as a form of punishment."[1] (Please note that mental suffering and anguish also falls under the definition of this word)

It fits the description because they are..

1. Experiencing severe physical and/or mental anguish.
2. As a punishment for what they have done.

Now what is made right by this type of punishment? Is the sinner's way reformed? No. It is said to be for God to satisfy his wrath.

Think on this for a moment... our Lord Jesus Christ, our compassionate, gentle and loving savior has a deep need to see his wrath poured out on billions of people for all eternity.

Beloved, there is nothing Just about this concept. Tyrants and dictators are just by this standard, who torture those who oppose them and satisfy their own anger and fury. No wrong is made right by the anguish of billions of people suffering torment for quadrillions of years.

Conclusion

We would not afford any earthly dominion to exact justice via torture and torment, and this is because this merciless and barbaric form of punishment goes against every concept of justice we hold dear. God is righteous and therefore will do what is right, and there is nothing righteous about billions of human beings created in the image of God suffering torment for an infinite duration.

My challenge for those who hold to the Eternal Conscious Torment view is this, how is the torment of billions of people for an infinite duration a Just punishment?

Regards,
DI

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/torture

Not only is it unjust, but it is unreasonable. What would be the purpose of such a condition?

Oh. Okay.

I'm sarcastically impaired. No matter how bizarre something is, you can always find someone on the web who believes it. There is probably a holiness movement out there where people beat themselves senseless in order to get to heaven.

"You know got to go through hell before you get to heaven", Steve Miller
(I don't agree with that, by the way! You got to go to Christ to get eternal life)

Back