Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Evan Almighty

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
M

MrVersatile48

A sequel to 'Bruce Almighty'

A workaholic Dad and husband becomes a congressman and moves to a peaceful little rich town. At work there's something fishy and its 'wolf' eat 'wolf'.

He prays to fulfil his campaign promise - to change the world.

Weird things start happening to him including gopher wood being dropped outside his house and Gen 6:14 turning up everywhere. When he sees God himself (Morgan freeman) he thinks hes gone nuts, especially when God tells him to build an ark as a flood is coming.

Evan is unwilling to do it but after a little 'persuasion' from God almost involving him getting fired from work, Evan agrees.

This is a very sweet and funny film, it is especially heart-warming seeing Evan spending time with his kids building the ark and the animals joining in to help.

It has a very moral message: Trust in God. The slight twist at the end helps to enforce this.

Was slow and corny at times but still an entertaining film for all the family.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413099/

==================================================================

See also Genesis 6

5 The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.

6 The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.

7 So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earthâ€â€men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the airâ€â€for I am grieved that I have made them."

8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

9 This is the account of Noah.
Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God.

10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.

11 Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight and was full of violence.

12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways.

13 So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.

14 So make yourself an ark of cypress [c] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out.

15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [d]

16 Make a roof for it and finish [e] the ark to within 18 inches [f] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks.

17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.

18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the arkâ€â€you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you.

19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you.

20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive.

21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them."

22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.

& 2 Peter 3

The Day of the Lord

2 I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.
3 First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.

4They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation."

5But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.

6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.

7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Ian

Evan Almighty deemed a bomb

The Los Angeles Times sounds a bit gleeful over the lack of enthusiasm for Evan Almighty.

"Karma may not be a part of Christian theology, but it's awfully tempting to apply it to 'Evan Almighty's' underwhelming reception at the box office," Jay Fernandez writes.

"With its uneasy mixture of juvenile pratfall humor and shallow piety, the Most Expensive Comedy Ever Made isn't connecting with as many of the film faithful as the filmmakers hoped. …

The wreckage left in the wake of the screenplay's development  a more entertaining story than the film itself, if as convoluted as the bloodlines in Genesis  may hint at a little divine retribution."

From CT blog

Ian

What timing, CT:-

Bruce and the Almighty

Springsteen's religious imagery getting sharper.
Mark Moring

The first time I saw Bruce Springsteen in concert, as a 15-year-old back in 1974, I might've called it "a religious experience."

In the 16 times I've seen him since, I've often thought he resembles an evangelist on stageâ€â€whether he's extolling the virtues of rock or urging the crowd to donate to a local food bank. This guy grew up in a Catholic home and seems to understand the concepts of sin, the Cross, confession, and redemption. These themes have all shown up in his music over the years.

Springsteen's last three studio albumsâ€â€The Rising (2002), Devils & Dust (2005), and We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions (2006)â€â€are especially rife with spiritual imagery. And, by default, so is this summer's release, Live in Dublin, which includes many cuts from the Seeger CD.

The Seeger Sessions, all songs previously recorded by folk legend Pete Seeger, includes "How Can I Keep from Singing?", "O Mary Don't You Weep," "Jacob's Ladder," and "Eyes on the Prize," an old Holiness hymn that declares, "I got my hand on the gospel plow / Won't take nothing for my journey now / Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on."

Devils & Dust, meanwhile, is chock full of songs about hope, love, and redemption, as well as tales of sin, brokenness, and confession. The album's spiritual highlight is "Jesus Was an Only Son," which poignantly captures the bond between Mother and Child:

As he walked up Calvary Hill / His mother walking beside him / In the path where his blood spilled / Jesus was an only son / In the hills of Nazareth / As he lay reading the Psalms of David / At his mother's feet …
Well, Jesus kissed his mother's hands / Whispered, "Mother, still your tears" / For remember the soul of the universe / Willed a world and it appeared.

Springsteen told The New York Times that although he's "not a churchgoer," his music is "filled with Catholic imagery … a powerful world of potent imagery that became alive and vital and vibrant...

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/200 ... /8.59.html

See also

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/200 ... ml#related

God bless!

Ian

Back