Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Favorite Non-Christian genre

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Rock & Metal music in general
Industrial Rock
Symphonic Metal/Rock
Alternative rock
Goth Metal/Rock
Dance
some pop

A lot of Christian bands can fall into those categories though.

Mainly pop/rock (Queen, ELO, Journey, Anna Nalick, Sarah McLachlan, Bob Dylan, Kansas, Asia, Pink Floyd).

Gabriel Ali said:
Rock & Metal music in general
Industrial Rock
Symphonic Metal/Rock
Alternative rock
Goth Metal/Rock
Dance
some pop

A lot of Christian bands can fall into those categories though.

I'm still amazed at how similar our musical taste is.

Me too. What can i say, other than.....you've got great taste in music! :biggrin

I live in the UK, and got fed up with British music, just got really boring and unoriginal.
I now listen on the internet an Adult Contempary Pop/Rock station and enjoy new bands unheard of in the UK

Daughtry
3 Doors Down
Lifehouse
Matchbox 20
Linkin Park
Buckcherry
and a cool Canadian Band called Theory of a Deadman

I now base all my music around The Adult Hot 40, and check The Billboard chart every week to see what is No.1, Been for 7 weeks now 'You Found Me' by The Fray

Most of the band members of The Fray are Christian, as well as the band Lifehouse and Chris Daughtry. Both bands score fairly well on the CCM charts. Chris Daughtry's "Home" has been played on the local Christian station here in NJ. Listen closely to some of Chris's lyrics; you can hear a very spiritual side to them.

The Fray
Beyond the angst

Critics have credited the band's success in part to their catchy hooks and melodies, but the power of Slade's lyrics also has been key to catapulting The Fray into the national limelight. HTSL is filled with songs that tell stories of depth and emotion that go beyond the ever-present angstâ€â€and Christianâ€â€bands.

The band members' lives were largely formed in Denver churches where they helped lead worship, and in the Christian school three of them attended. Slade, 24, and guitarist Joe King, 25, were several years ahead of drummer Ben Wysocki, 21, at Faith Christian Academy. Wysocki and guitarist David Welsh, 21, played in the same worship band.

The band avoided Christian record labels, saying God called them to the secular market instead. "I feel he would be disappointed with us if we limited ourselves," Wysocki says.

Slade says he used to "write all Christian lyrics" until he had an epiphany while working a shift at Starbucks: "None of my friends outside the church understood any of my songs; we had a different set of vocabulary," he says. "So I went home and threw away all those songs."
http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/ ... -0706.html

Lifehouse
Also relatively downplayed on this album is the lyrical spirituality. Though Lifehouse got its start in a Vineyard church out of Los Angeles, they've never been one to wear faith on their sleeve. Yet while they weren't overtly written and open to multiple interpretations, Christians could find enough to assume where Wade was coming from. This time, many of the songs reflect on Wade coming to grips with the divorce of his missionary parents when he was twelve, and his strained relationship with his father since then. "Better Luck Next Time" in particular touches on this: "Sometimes we fall/Ain't nothing new to me/Don't get me wrong/I'm a son you gave up for this child." There's similar melancholic reflection in "Walking Away," and "Into the Sun" seems to assess these relationships today.

Yet while the Christianity is more downplayed onLifehouse, listeners can't say these songs definitively aren't about faith, just as previous songs weren't necessarily only about faith either. "Come Back Down" is an example of encouragement and comfort to a friend or loved one: "I'll be there for you/Don't have to be alone with what you're going through … I hope that you can find your way back to the place where you belong." Wade primarily offers themes of perseverance ("Chapter One," "All in All") and overcoming heartache in order to live life ("Days Go By," "Undone"). The album closes with "The End," which notes that, "These times where the world falls apart make us who we are."
http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/ ... eview.html

About Chris Daughtry
Mandisa, you were one of the most outspoken contestants about their faith on TV. What was it like sharing your faith behind the scenes?

Mandisa: There were several people who were Christians in my season. Chris Daughtry and Paris Bennett, of course, as well as Kellie Pickler and Katharine McPhee, who had both recently become Christians at that time. There were others who were outspoken that didn't make the Top 12, like Brooke Barrettsmith. The two of us latched on to each other immediately. We prayed and fasted together for three days before going to Hollywood, because we felt like the Lord was going to do something mighty. And he certainly did, not just in my life, but in hers as well. [Brooke Barrettsmith releases her debut through Essential Records on June 10.]

There was great camaraderie overall. We would always pray together before we would go on stage to sing, and we'd always talk about the Lord. We would even have Bible studies on the tour. Many of them were at a point where they wanted to learn and grow [in their faith], and it was really great that any time they needed prayer, they knew that they could come to me. To this day, I still get phone calls from them saying, "Hey, I'm going through such and such. Would you mind praying for me?" That means a lot to me, because I know we point people to the Lord by the love that we show. It's not even about preaching at them, but how you treat others. I think that's vitally important for the body of Christâ€â€to learn how to love others.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/ ... ml?start=2

I agree here, Chris Daughtry is a great guy and very talented
Regarding The Fray, it is quiet coinscedental that the lyrics 'You Found Me' is a bit Christiany also.
Lifehouse song 'Broken' has hidden messsages towards God I think also.

There are no coincidences. :amen Both bands formed through friendships started in churches.

As for Chris, well, just watch this:

[youtube:gkodqu7h]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8Yavu0FPs[/youtube:gkodqu7h]

A lot of secular songs are spiritually less dangerous than some Christian music. Creedence Clearwater Revival is a good band. Also..

"Simple Man"
[youtube:2y81loky]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQ_aTjXObs[/youtube:2y81loky]

I once read an article pointing out the vast differences between "Simple Man" and "Freebird". It was written by a pastor.

BTW, CCR (particularly John Fogerty) gets a big :thumb from me. I don't always agree with his politics like I did in the 70s, but he just a good ol' boy from the Bay area... still wears them bluejeans and flannel shirts too. :biggrin Imagine a group of boys from the Berkley, Ca. area, who never really left the Berkley area, playing Bayou swamp music. :lol

Man, now I want to hear some "Cosmo's Factory"! :biglaugh

Oh, my favorite genre is Southern Rock/Country Rock and The Blues!

A quote from an old Sunday night radio station here in NJ:

"Rock and Roll didn't come from out of the blue; it came from the Blues." :headphones

Vic.. I bet "simple man" is the cleanest song they've written, it is a lot different than the others in that sense. Fur sure.
I don't know anything about the politics of John Foggerty, but I do like their music for the most part.
You could even say that "bad moon rising" is prophetic! :rolling

Oh, my favorite genre is Southern Rock/Country Rock and The Blues!
I like them too, Vic (except the country).. so when I do pick out christian music I go for those sounds. Third Day has the southern rock sound. :thumb

Third Day by no stretch IS Southern Rock, fer sure! They are in a class of their own too. :clap

You could even say that "bad moon rising" is prophetic!
Yes!... but it's really apolitical and anti war. :yes

I like country, but I specified country rock, because it is a genre of it's own. Think Eagles, Poco, Loggins and Messina, Jackson Browne, etc.

Yes!... but it's really apolitical and anti war.
I had no idea! Oh brother. I choose to go on in my own personal naive interpretation then. :shades

Ohhh, if that's what you meant by country rock then I definitely like those too, but I try to filter out the good from the bad when I listen to it. My selection is kinda small right now.

I too love the Blues Vic. Here's a all time great...
[youtube:20rz497f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWz2jEk8HI[/youtube:20rz497f]

Yeah!

Here's the man that Eric Clapton and the late Stevie Ray said is the best blues guitar in the business. :clap Jonnny Lang's no slouch either. ;)

Man, I got to see Stevie Ray and Buddy Guy jam together in 1983. :biggrin

Be careful people, Buddy says the s-word near the end of the song. :shame

[youtube:2k2y6kgb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmdgfsEkCw&feature=PlayList&p=004CBED0B38FABE6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1[/youtube:2k2y6kgb]

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back