Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study first mention principle

Y

yesha

I have a book called, "Interpreting the book of Revelations" by Kevin J Conner.
In it he mentions the hermeneutical principals that he feels should be used in interpreting scripture. One of them is the "first mention principle".

He defines it as "The first Mention Principle is defined as that principle by which the interpretation of any verse is aided by considering the first time its subject appears in Scripture"

Do you think this is good hermeneutics?

This works and will not change until a deffent interpretation is given in scripture.

Using the word death first mentioned in Gen. did not mean death like we think of it, it ment seperation from God.

And this does not change. when Paul speaks of people that have passed on he calls it sleep.

This is used in Rev.1:20 the word stars now mean angelic beings.

Darrell dunn said:
This is used in Rev.1:20 the word stars now mean angelic beings.

Howdy Darrell,

I believe the concordance will show that stars meant angelic beings in the OT as well. Here are a few references I picked up from Biblegateway.
http://www.biblegateway.com/topical/top ... 2&tid=8084

CALLED » The host of heaven (Deuteronomy 17:3; Jeremiah 33:22)
ILLUSTRATIVE » Of angels (Job 38:7)

While it may seem that the first mention rule changes, I believe it simply adds to our understanding with each mention in the Word. The first mention is the foundation. We discover new things about each topic as we study.
From time to time it could appear to change because our understanding of the first mention was wrong, and as we learn, our focus becomes corrected, or we learn how some thoughts that seem to contradict can both be true.

Yes they are altho the point that I was making is that in the book of Rev. the word angel is now used to mean the saints of God.

Rev. 5:11 the 10,000 X 10,000 are the glorifided saints of God, not angelic beings. That took part in the rapture.

And the stars in Rev.6:11 are the devils angels falling to earth.

Darrell dunn said:
Yes they are altho the point that I was making is that in the book of Rev. the word angel is now used to mean the saints of God.

Rev. 5:11 the 10,000 X 10,000 are the glorifided saints of God, not angelic beings. That took part in the rapture.

And the stars in Rev.6:11 are the devils angels falling to earth.

A rose by any other name...
But then I would have to start a new thread

Back