Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Fishers of Men

C

cly

I know this is rather long, but I felt I should share it.

I am here at school, and being from a small school in a small town, my college - ATU - seems...enormous. There is around thirty buildings spread across the campus. When going from one side to the other, it often feels like I'm walking a half-mile, carrying a heavy backpack to boot.

Well, today, it's raining, and as I was walking from one building to another, which is clear across the campus from one another, I decided that I feel like a fish. My pants were wet up to my knees, and even with an umbrella, the upper part of my body was getting wet. Of course, everything else that I have with me - my backpack, my purse, and my sweater - were all getting soaked too. To say the least, I was complaining - a lot. Now, we need rain around here, but does it really have to rain on Tuesdays and Thursdays? I mean, come on, that leaves five other days for it to rain on...

Well, as I was thinking of how I should just grow gills and swim to class, I remembered something: to somebody (or a group of somebodies, which is my case) I am a fish. There is someone out there who influenced me enough that I decided to accept Christ as my Savior, making me that person's catch of the day. I am the reason that person is called a fisher of men.

Now, this realization got me thinking, since I once was a fish, I now am called to be a fisher of men myself. I have been told to spread the gospel to all the world. It is my duty as a child of God to do this. So my question to you is this: are you a fish? Would you like to be a fish? Maybe you are a fish, but have never became a fisher of men yourself. Maybe you are a fish who has led someone to Christ, but guess what...your job still isn't done. We are called to be fishers of MEN. This means that even after we lead one person to Christ, we're supposed to bait our hooks and send it out into the waters again...and again...and again...and...well, you get the picture.

I don't know about you, but I haven't done much fishing lately. I'm rather shy and afraid, but you know what? All I have to do is to ask God to give me confidence and courage to do His will, and He will grant me that. If you're like me, the same applies to you. Just ask, and God will give you the resources you need to catch fish for Him. It's God granting me courage and confidence that is helping me write this today.

As for those who aren't even fish, I've got some pleasant news for you too. You can be caught; you can become a child of God. Believe me, there are no hooks involved, no jerking of the line, or no being forcefully pulled through the water. All you have to do is have faith. The Bible says that faith is "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." It means believeing without having any physical evidence, but that doesn't mean that there isn't proof. That still small voice that's in your head is God. It's Him directing your conscience. All the coincidences of life, aren't coincidences - they're God being subtle and sometimes humorous. God is everywhere at all times. He is omnipitent and omnipresent. He's rather incredible, actually.

However, with this knowledge of God alone, you can't be saved. To be saved, you must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, that He died for our sins, so that we might be saved to live forever with Him in Heaven. We must have faith that what the Bible says about Him is true: He was born to a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross, rose again three days later, and ascended into Heaven where He sits at the right hand of God. We must have faith that He is our sacrifical lamb. Once you have believed that, then you must confess that you are a sinner, and that you need Jesus to save you. Then ask Jesus to come into your heart and life and make you a new creation in Him: become a fish. It's that simple, and all that has to be done is to ask. He's a great and loving God who will not deny you salvation, and He will change your life.

Love in Christ,

Crystal

Some Biblical references:

Fishers of Men: Matthew 4:19
Spreading the gospel: Matthew 28:19-20
Being given confidence and courage: Matthew 7:7 and Joshua 1:9
Being saved: John 3:16-17
"Roman Road" (plan of salvation): Romans 3:23, Romans 5:12, Romans 6:23, Romans 10:9-10, and Romans 10:13

Back