Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

For the Lords

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

mcgyver

Hey there! :)

You asked me a question in another thread, and I wasn't able to get back to it, so rather than derailing the other thread (which has pretty much run its course), though that I'd bring it here.

I have a question for you, (I don't want to debate, I just want your opinion) pretty soon the law of the land in America will allow for the marriage of homosexuals. This is going to degrade the definition of holy marriage between man and wife. Do you think following the law of the land will matter as much then. Will we as Christians still be required to follow the law of a corrupt land that is trying to define marriage?
I don't think that it will affect our duties as Christians at all. Might make it harder to stand up for the truth...but then again standing for the truth has never been easy.

Interestingly, for the first 500 years of the Roman Republic, there was not a single recorded divorce (at least from what I've seen), but by the time that Paul and Peter wrote their epistles there were high-born Roman women who counted years not by the Olympiad; but by the number of husbands they had gone through. Homosexuality among certain Caesars was rampant, and morality was crumbling. Rome first fell from corruption within...allowing the Visigoths to conquer from without in the 5th century.

I guess that it boils down to the old saying that: "Changing the rules has never changed the truth". Fortunately we know the truth: John 14:6

Full circle: As long as the law of the land does not cause us to blaspheme our Lord, or demand that we as individuals break God's "higher moral law", then IMO we are bound to obey the laws of the land.

I have to agree with you, Mcgyver...the only ones that I can see being impacted by such a law would be pastors who will be put into the position of telling a homosexual couple he won't marry them...but as I understand it, pastors are not forced to marry anyone. My own brother-in-law is a pastor (he no longer pastors a church, he's the principle of a Christian school, but he is still ordained) and he has stated that he will not marry anyone unless a: both are Christians and b: both attend the pre-marital counseling he requires.

Also, I know that this is a sticky issue, and believe me when I say I mean no disrespect or judgments on anyone...but divorce far more impacts the definition of "holy marriage" than unions between homosexuals that aren't married in the church ever will. We Christians irreparably damaged "marriage" when we started be so OK with divorce that the divorce rates among Christians are almost the same as that out in the world.

Back