Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study FORGIVENESS

Atonement wrote in another thread that there are two types of sins. Omission and Remission. I decided that it was about time that the subject of forgiveness was addressed in a thread.

I pretty much see it the same way, but I have always defined it as omission and commission. I have always expressed the sin of omission as 'you should have, but you did not', and the sin of commission as, 'you should not have, but you did'. Both can be in the category of transgressions.

However, there is another type of sin that is often overlooked. Iniquity. I define iniquity as sin that is done against us. Sometimes it is preached as generational curses, or something that is passed down in the family. If grandparents were pirates, perhaps that is where the bend toward stealing comes from. A weakness for gluttony might be traced back through the family tree. That sort of thing.

There is another way to look at iniquity though. Not necessarily something passed down from the family. Sin that has been done against us, committed by anyone else, that we have to deal with, sin that needs to be forgiven, and if you will hear it, sin that needs to be repented for.

If someone hits you and steals from you ~ they have committed a transgression.
You are suffering the pain and the loss ~ iniquity.

Scripture says that if we regard iniquity in our hearts, God will not hear us. Do we need to repent for iniquity? Ask for forgiveness for it? To me, it means to say to God the same thing about iniquity as we say about our transgressions. That is to say "Lord, it was wrong. It never should have happened. If we had it to do over again, I would choose that it not happen."

Duh?

Think of all of the people who are wanting to take vengance for themselves. Sometimes even hoping that the nemesis will do something to you just to give you a chance to do something back. Planning out what you are going to do the next time that they hurt you.

Forgiveness gives it up. They don't get away with it, but it takes your hands off of it and puts it in the hands of God. God, who knows all of the circumstances, sees the hearts of all the people involved, and understands why things happened, goes to work in the situation. He sees the root of it. He sees the fruit it bears. Giving it up to Him is showing that you trust Him to deal with it. It says that you are willing to receive any correction that you need, and are willing to accept any mercy or justice that comes into the life of the offender.

Forgiving the offender may not change the circumstances. If, for example, you are suffering because you have a broken leg because of being hit by a drunk driver, you can forgive them, but you still have a broken leg. Forgiveness leaves them in Gods hands. But it also begins a healing work in you.

Some real thoughtful views, Gabby. It got me to thinking about "iniquity."

I'm not sure I follow your meaning that, if an ancestor was a thief, this, some how will you more prone to be a thief. Is that what you are saying?

Then, I did a word study using a concordance and was enlightened as to how many meanings in the originals were all translated "iniquity' or "iniquities."

In the OT, without listing the Hebrew words, here they are:

Iniquity, vanity, mischief, calamity, desire, perversity, perversness, misery, wrong and wickedness.

In Psa. 66:18, which you alluded to: "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord wil not hear..", it means "iniquity" in the Hebrew.

Here they are in the NT: Unrighteousness, wrong, lawlessness, evil and wickedness.

Matt. 7:23 is a meaningful one: "Depart from me, ye that work iniquity.."
In this verse, the word in Greek is "anomia", meaning "lawlessness".

SO, "iniquity" in the Bible can mean any number of acts of wickedness.

Blessings on you, Bick

Bick said:
I'm not sure I follow your meaning that, if an ancestor was a thief, this, some how will you more prone to be a thief. Is that what you are saying?
The examples that I usually hear tends to be more along the lines of alcohol or drug abuse, or gluttony. The child of a drunk is prone to drinking more-so than a child of sober parents. That sort if thing.

However, any 'weakness' that parents and grandparents displayed are passed down through the generations. Have you ever noticed in the story of Abram and Sarai, (Gen. 12) how he wanted to portray her as his sister. Later on, in Gen 26:6 Isaac is in Gerar:

Gen 26:7 And the men of the place asked [him] of his wife; and he said, She [is] my sister: for he feared to say, [She is] my wife; lest, [said he], the men of the place should kill me for Rebekah; because she [was] fair to look upon.

King David had a woman problem. Way too many of them. Solomon followed in his footsteps.

Bick said:
Then, I did a word study using a concordance and was enlightened as to how many meanings in the originals were all translated "iniquity' or "iniquities."

Iniquity, vanity, mischief, calamity, desire, perversity, perversness, misery, wrong and wickedness.

In Psa. 66:18, which you alluded to: "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord wil not hear..", it means "iniquity" in the Hebrew.

Here they are in the NT: Unrighteousness, wrong, lawlessness, evil and wickedness.

Blessings on you, Bick

Good word study! :wink:

I was trying to define the sin that others have committed against you. That is the word that best seems to fit.

Scripture has a lot to say about forgiving others. It carries a lot of weight in our relationship with the Lord, .

Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

has a lot to do with getting our prayers answered,

1Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with [them] according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
(You can not honour someone and hold a grudge against them at the same time)

and forgiveness, or unforgiveness has an impact even on our health

Gen 20:17 So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare [children].

I once heard a testimony of a woman who had terrible arthritis. It had almost crippled her. Someone asked her who she was mad at. She began to speak of how resentful and bitter she was toward her husband. As she worked toward forgiving him, her health improved dramatically.

I spend a lot of time watching people who are still trying to "get even" with someone for wrongs that have been committed against them, or perceived to have been committed against them. As sad as it is to watch, it certainly helps me to give iniquity over to God. Trust Him to have mercy where He chooses to have mercy and bring vengance and justice where He sees fit to do so. It also gives Him the opportunity to restore the wrong done. Restoration is a major part of the forgiveness process. This is one of my favorite promises from His Word:

Joel 2:25 And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you.

What a mighty God we serve!

Yes, to have a forgiving heart is something everyone needs. It brings such health to the one forgiving, and hopefully to the one forgiven.

Isn't it interesting that we, as human beings, are encouraged to forgive no matter how many times someone has wronged us. Yet, we don't expect God to do the same.

Very insightful post Gabby! I can't say much more. Have you ever read John Bevere's Bait of Satan? The entire book is about what you just posted. If you have never heard of it look it up on Amazon. Great book.

God Bless,

~Josh

Bick said:
Some real thoughtful views, Gabby. It got me to thinking about "iniquity."

Blessings on you, Bick

Hate to jump in....sorry Gabby....but Bick stated something that is very incorrect and very important to correct.....I will bold it above....Anomia...

And in the case of the context of Mat 7:23...Anomia doesn't mean "lawlessness", rather it means "without law"....Big, Big, Big difference.

Torah Anomia.....doesn't mean sinning by not observing Torah (although it could), in this case it means that there is no Torah to sin against.

Here is the context of Mat 7:23

It has to do with false prophets teaching Torah negation (anomia)

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. (Tribe of Benjamin?)
Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. (By How?....Obeying Torah)
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Torah Negation)

Sound like anyone familiar? Someone from the tribe of benjamin...who is a wolf in sheeps clothing? Someone who prophesied in Jesus' name? Someone who cast out devils? Someone who did wonderful works? Someone who taught that the "Torah was negated (like nailed to the cross)"?

What did my favorite pseudo apostle say?

1Cr 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Sounds like Jesus descibes him perfectly....Lord, Lord did I preach...

the site below added as a reference to what Anomia means...

http://www.republika.pl/peenef2/angiels ... nomia.html

Sorry about the hijack...but the subject of anomia and it's misuse is a big deal.

Back