Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Foundations, growth, and doubt

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yeah, I think that was also a simular conclusion to what my pastor had thought. Some doubt will help you seek answers which will aid in strengthening one's resolve and trust. That said, I don't have any personal stories where this is the case. Where doubt has shed more answers and strengthened my faith. The few stories I have are where God reassured me, and those moments being my strength, my stabile reassurance in faith. What about you thoug Rob? Do you have some experiences that you'd be willing to share? Where a strong foundation became an anchor for you? Or where doubt helped you find answers, or correct you to a better path?
Sure I don't mind sharing. As long as it edifies, I think sharing experiences are necessary. Hey just look at the Bible! I just posted a thread that I think is on point with this. It's "Unmerited Favor". Simply put my wife and I had doubt over a home we believed God led us to. In the end God still provided and we were gently reminded that He is and will always be in control. As far as strength anchoring me through tough times, let's just say we'd be here all day. I was born into a very religious family, not perfect but was raised within the Word of God. My whole life no matter how far I strayed or how close I felt to God, my faith just knowing He is and would never leave me got me through some of the most trying times of my life. My sister committed suicide in 2007, my brother whom I was very close to died unexpectedly in 2010 for medical reasons. I have never done well with death or hospitals. But having faith God is there has done great things for me. At my lowest times in my life, when Satan wanted to convince me to just give up, that anchor of just knowing God exists and is always with me caused me to overcome many major obstacles. Today I am still learning the great wonders of our God. Still passing and failing tests and trials yet am the stronger becaused whether I pass or fail, I learn from each experience. Thus building a stronger relationship with our Lord. I've doubted and questioned God, He answered. I've repented and grown stronger in Him because of my faults. That is the hope that lies within us all. Fallible creatures who are able to be washed clean and be white as snow. So yes my anchor is simplistic faith that God is and will ever be with me.

I grow through doubt. The only reason i have grown in faith is through doubt and questioning everything.

I would rather lack knowledge and gain wisdom than having a closed mind and think i know something i really know nothing about and become a fool because its written in a book or someone told me.

Sorry Kiwiden, I wanted to let you and Mike have your conversation before jumping in and asking questions. But if you'd be willing, would you be able to share an experience where doubt has helped you, or where a foundation in Christianity was your strengths?

Sure I don't mind sharing. As long as it edifies, I think sharing experiences are necessary. Hey just look at the Bible! I just posted a thread that I think is on point with this. It's "Unmerited Favor". Simply put my wife and I had doubt over a home we believed God led us to. In the end God still provided and we were gently reminded that He is and will always be in control. As far as strength anchoring me through tough times, let's just say we'd be here all day. I was born into a very religious family, not perfect but was raised within the Word of God. My whole life no matter how far I strayed or how close I felt to God, my faith just knowing He is and would never leave me got me through some of the most trying times of my life. My sister committed suicide in 2007, my brother whom I was very close to died unexpectedly in 2010 for medical reasons. I have never done well with death or hospitals. But having faith God is there has done great things for me. At my lowest times in my life, when Satan wanted to convince me to just give up, that anchor of just knowing God exists and is always with me caused me to overcome many major obstacles. Today I am still learning the great wonders of our God. Still passing and failing tests and trials yet am the stronger becaused whether I pass or fail, I learn from each experience. Thus building a stronger relationship with our Lord. I've doubted and questioned God, He answered. I've repented and grown stronger in Him because of my faults. That is the hope that lies within us all. Fallible creatures who are able to be washed clean and be white as snow. So yes my anchor is simplistic faith that God is and will ever be with me.

I'm glad your still here Rob. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about those hardships in your life. Sucide is hard to face.

Well, I started this thread. Might as well answer it myself too.

For me I have had the foundation of God being in my life. A knowledge that he is real, not just a belief. From there I went to try and find God, His teachings and if any are His, which religion was from Him, and was the latest that made it's own religion. That path lead me to becoming a Christian, not not farther then the bible. Islam has ideas that reject the bible, aspects of it being corrupted and no longer true. Seems like a slap in the face to me, and one I doubted that God would allow. From there my foundations grew as a philosopher. Asking things about what is right, what is the correct understanding, and even the daunting question what is a true Christian, and could that have already been something that I passed on? Without a church foundation I studied mostly on my own, talked with my dad, and a few other about religious topics, and enjoyed the differing churches I had gone to on the occasions that I woke up for them. It's only recently that I've got a church community that I really feel apart of, (my fault, no one else's) so I'm sorry that isn't a stronger foundation in me that I have strong fellowship bonds in my faith,

From all of that though, I have as part of my foundations in my faith, are bible verses, and bibical reasoning. Prayers and what I count and hope as miracles, and hopefully soon with the church community I'm hopefully going to stay apart of, I'll hopefully have some good fellowship, and gospel music that can keep me growing in faith and keep me strong.

In my life there are also doubts. Cautions in my life that may have helped shape my path, but I don't know if I'd call them good or deterrents with regard to my faith. First doubt was before becoming a Christian a concept of whether the church body is actually still from God, or if it's not because of the actions of those in it. Only going off of a stereotype that negatively portrays Christians, this doubt grew, and stayed persist ant till I decide do I have no right to judge who is a good Christian and who isn't. Because one that's God's discretion, and two, because no one is a finished product. They keep changing and growing. Their path might be better then mine, so I have no right to judge. That conclusion came much later after becoming a Christian, but it may have roots in my doubt in Christians, or in my growing understanding as a Christian. Another doubt is from my friends and some family. Not all of which are Christians, and those that aren't I see how good people they are. In any aspect I can point to any of them and say they are a better person then me. So another doubt stems from how could they be rejected by God because they aren't Christian. I still have that doubt, but nowadays it's more of a worry then a doubt. Along the line of "I hope they will be accepted." Instead of " how can they be rejected," a third doubt in my oath is from my grandmother's path being taken advantage of several times by those who self professed themselves as Christians, having prophesies concerning her life, and the ability to heal, which she continually sought.

These are my foundations and doubts that I can recognize in my life that I think has taken their matters to make the path of my faith, and direct the kinds of understandings I adopted or searched after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. So my question is about our foundations, our doubts and overall our growth. In our live, and in our spiritual outlook, there's a lot of things to keep us steady, a foundation in a sence. And that's good. There's also doubts that challenge our foundations and our thoughts, and even break away from some of them. Which can be healthy and help us grow stronger in our perspectives, or they can break us away from those perspectives. Depending on the perspective it could be healthy to break away from it, or it could be turning away from something that is good.

So my question is, what are some doubts you've faced that in your opinion has helped you, and what are some foundations in your live that have held you strong, or helped you hold your faith?
Doubt itself is what I had to face, but doubt is dead now.

I do not doubt the Lord i do very much doubt myself... As in 'how ever could the Lord God love me'.. O i know the scriptures that tell me otherwise... but satan jabs away.... So i put my trust in His Word... the doubts come less and less Christ is the Victor AMEN

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back