Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Free Sermon On Tithes and Offerings

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

rwbovee

Did Jesus Christ teach much about tithing? No. It seemed the hypocrites were tithing. These same people, much as now, were giving little to nothing in alms to the poor. Jesus said "when ye give alms" in the Sermon on the Mount. "When ye fast" also important. "When ye pray," also very important. It seemed the early converts were expected to sell all they had, give it to the poor, and then come and take up their cross daily in a life of self denial and follow Jesus. These were conditions for discipleship.

"Likewise whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he has, he cannot be my disciple," our Lord and Master taught us. "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." Jesus Christ taught that the rich are headed for hell. I'm sorry. The only exception to this rule are those few rich people, like Zacchaeus and Gaius in the New Testament, who were freely giving very generously of their wealth to all the poor, both Christians and non-Christians, who asked them for help.

We as Christians are still under the law, my friends. Jesus taught that he didn't come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. Yes, we shouldn't be eating pork or that Easter ham. The rich young ruler came and asked Jesus what good thing he must do to inherit eternal life and he first told him to keep the commandments, both some of the ten commandments but also where it says, "love thy neighbour as thyself." Then when the man said all these things had he kept from his youth, Jesus told him to sell all he had, give it to the poor to lay up treasures in heaven for himself, and then come, take up his cross daily in a life of self denial, and to follow him as his disciple. This same pattern holds true for us all today, whatever your particular church or denomination may happen to preach.

Jesus warned us living in these last days before his second coming to "take heed that no man deceive you." All of us Christians are brothers and sisters. There are no reverends, masters, rabbis, doctors, fathers, etc. among us. Jesus is the father, the master, and the rabbi. We are to read the King James Bible (1611) and do what it says literally every day. To preach the gospel (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). So we need to know the gospels and the law especially by meditating in it day and night and doing everything it says, not what our traditions say.

The law says in Deuteronomy chapter 15 that we are to help the poor among us. Jonathan Edwards taught that this is our duty. Notice it says among us. Some ministers such as James Robison want to help the poor in Africa or Haiti. They live in luxury themselves and will not help the poor people that write to them or ask for help down the street or in their neighborhood. That's not going to do it, my friend. Also the Jews by their Talmud were teaching that the law only applied to other Jews. Jesus Christ told them plainly that their Talmud is NOT the oral law from Moses but a work of man that often contradicts the law. The law teaches against occultism (thou shalt not suffer a witch to live) while the Kabbalah is a mass of occultism and witchcraft, for example.

Moses prophesied about that Prophet that would come, and that Prophet is none other than Jesus Christ. Moses said Jesus would be speaking the words of God the Father and the Jews would be required to follow them. Jesus was asked "who is my neighbor" and he replied with the story of the good Samaritan. In other words, all people are our neighbors, the Palestinians, blacks, whites, Orientals, etc. We are expected to love all of our neighbors on earth as ourselves, even our enemies. Jesus Christ taught to "give to him that asketh thee." See http://www.squidoo.com/tithes-and-offerings

Agreed. People get the 10% to the church from Paul's writings on Melchizedek mentioned in Genesis and Psalms where Abraham gave Melchizedek 10% of his spoils of war. Then Paul compares Jesus to Melchizedek, some believe that Paul is eluding that they are one in the same. With all this said, if I ever meet Melchizedek, I'll give him 10% of all I own. Otherwise, there is nothing to guarentee that God endorces a paticular church or religious leader.

I agree that the Law was not done away with, but rather the penalty for breaking them. However, one filled by the Spirit will tend to emulate the spirit of the Law. Take for example the ten commandments. The first 4 deals with our relationship to Yahweh. The last 6 to our fellow man. Yahshua summarized it nicely: LOVE. I know nobody who loves Yahweh or his fellow man and would NOT want to do the commands. Rather, with His Spirit, they come more naturally. If we do sin, we have an Advocate.

So the so-called old/new covenants is not a "new set of rules" and "the old done away with" as much as it has to do with who pays the penalty. Before Yahshua one had to do it by flesh power "do this an you shall live". Of course nobody made it. This is why you had nobody saved in the OT days, except those few leaders or prophets that Yahweh called. The rest will be saved and given their chance after they are raised (since they never had one) at the Great White Throne Judgement.

Now, since Yahshua came, he paid the penalty --- not so that we can keep sinning as Paul would say heaven forbid! but we are now free in righteousness to produce the fruits of righteousness.

Considering these hard times, my wife said to me how blessed we were to send our BOTH sons to prestigious colleges for mechanical engineering degrees. How did we pay for all this with no loans??? And I'm "only" a technician and my wife a medical biller. I said this is one more tithing story for the books --- Yahweh never let us down. But I'm sure there are some here who will give a story a mile long why tithing is no longer needed (the human mind is great at rationalizing). I'd believe them if that was an excuse to give even more (now being free in the Spirit), but we know that's not the case as most "Christians" give something like a measly 1-2%. And while the likes of you and me are getting knocked at, the same ones will complain in another thread of a relationship problem, or a money problem or some other issue no different than the unregenerate population has, but they are going still tell you not to give to Yahweh. :rolleyes:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back