Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

FW seminary passes resolution against speaking in tongues

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

destiny

FW seminary passes resolution against speaking in tongues

12:12 AM CDT on Thursday, October 19, 2006
Associated Press

FORT WORTH – Trustees at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary have put it in writing: They will not tolerate any promotion of speaking in tongues on their campus.

The 36-1 vote Tuesday came nearly two months after the Rev. Dwight McKissic of Arlington said during a chapel service that he sometimes speaks in tongues while praying. Paige Patterson, president of the Fort Worth school, responded by not allowing the video of McKissic's sermon to be posted online or saved in the seminary's archives.

McKissic, a new trustee, passed the lone dissenting vote on the resolution.

It states: "Southwestern will not knowingly endorse in any way, advertise, or commend the conclusions of the contemporary charismatic movement including private prayer language. Neither will Southwestern knowingly employ professors or administrators who promote such practices."

McKissic called for the Southern Baptist Convention to weigh in on the matter.

Asked whether the convention will make a statement, SBC executive committee spokesman John Revell told The Associated Press by e-mail: "We will all find out the answer to that question in June when Southern Baptist messengers gather in San Antonio for their annual convention."

In McKissic's sermon at the school's chapel, he describes experiencing a "private prayer language."

Leaders at the seminary have said the statement conflicts with the SBC's International Mission Board, which voted in November to ban missionaries from speaking in tongues in private. Previously, missionaries were discouraged from speaking in tongues publicly, but private prayer was not monitored.

The controversy has erupted as some Baptist churches become more accepting of charismatic forms of worship.

Speaking in tongues is common among Pentecostals, whose more exuberant brand of Christianity is spreading in the United States and in foreign countries where Southern Baptist missionaries work.

"I have opposed (speaking in tongues) for all of these years because I think it's an erroneous interpretation of the Bible," Patterson said. "Southern Baptists traditionally have stood against what we feel like are the excesses of the charismatic movement. All we're doing is restating where we've always been."

Patterson said he defends the right of other Christians to believe in speaking in tongues.

"But don't wear a Yankee uniform when you play for the Mets," he said.

The Rev. Eric Redmond of Temple Hills, Md., a board member, said trustees made the right decision.

"We interpret the scriptures in such a way that we do not see room for a private prayer language and we're saying we will not waver on that," Redmond said.

Although it has been a painful experience, McKissic said he has no plans to resign as a trustee of the seminary. He said he has received many supportive e-mails and phone calls from like-minded Baptists.

"My flesh wants to quit, but the spirit of God tells me that I've been called to this hour to do this," he said.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I wonder if they'll eventually outlaw God?

Destiny, Didn't you hear about the black Preacher Willie? He went to a Southern church and was told to leave because the Pastor and the elders told him he couldn't preach in their church. Well, he looked up in the sky and told God that they wouldn't let in the church. God answered back and said, they won't let me in there either.

May God bless, golfjack

Re: reply

golfjack said:
Destiny, Didn't you hear about the black Preacher Willie? He went to a Southern church and was told to leave because the Pastor and the elders told him he couldn't preach in their church. Well, he looked up in the sky and told God that they wouldn't let in the church. God answered back and said, they won't let me in there either.

May God bless, golfjack
LOL....yeah, I heard that one. :-D

The sad thing is, through lack of understanding of the spiritual, I believe God will eventually be given the complete boot at the institutional level.
Truth without spirit isn't a good thing, neither is Spirt without truth.
Man can't seem to find the middle ground where the balance is. It's usually one way or another but seldom is there balance.
I do realize its their right to ban tongues...but still theres a lack of understanding there because its a spiritual issue.
What concerns me is, 'God' is Spirit.

destiny said:
1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I wonder if they'll eventually outlaw God?

Wait just a minute. It is quite possible Southwestern has a good reason for their actions. Please consider the following also found in 1 Corinthiansâ€â€1 Corinthians 14:6-19:

6But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking in tongues, what will I profit you unless I speak to you either by way of revelation or of knowledge or of prophecy or of teaching?

7Yet even lifeless things, either flute or harp, in producing a sound, if they do not produce a distinction in the tones, how will it be known what is played on the flute or on the harp?

8For if the bugle produces an indistinct sound, who will prepare himself for battle?

9So also you, unless you utter by the tongue speech that is clear, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be (F)speaking into the air.

10There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of languages in the world, and no kind is without meaning.

11If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me.

12So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.

13Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.

15What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

16Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying?

17For you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not edified.

18I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all;

19however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.

What can we learn from those verses? Among other things we learn that if one speaks in tongues they much have someone else interpret the message otherwise the speaking in tongues is useless and not edifying to the church.

What I gather from the article you gave, destiny, is that he pastor spoke in tongues and did not have someone else interpret it. Such actions is clearly unbiblical and in direct contradictions to 1 Corinthians 14:6-19.

It is good you are concerned, Destiny, but more then likely if Southwestern decides to take such action they have good reason to do so. I say that with confidence because Dr. Patterson was the former President of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (where I attend now) and he played a big part in turning the seminary into more of a conservative seminary (before that Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary was more of a liberal seminary).

I read that article a few weeks back and was deeply saddened. While I do know that many practice fake and even demonic tongues, certainly there are some who do it the right way.

In my church sadly I have not heard anyone speak in tongues, while I do know many have the gift, and its used right in their own private devotional time. I have only seen the gift of tongues used properly once about 29 years ago.. A women during service started speaking in tongues and a few minutes later the Girl who was given the message of interpretation ran out the door because she was scared, She was 12 years old at the time as was I. Well when the pastors caught up with her outside and she explained what happened she then proceeded to share the message of exhortation. It was really awsome..

The reason I was sad when I read the article is because I have studied much of Norman Geislers material including his theology books which I think are great. At the time I read that article I came to find out that Norman Geisler does not believe in the gifts of the spirit. He believes that they were a first century gift.. When I heard this I started to look through his books that I own. I own all but two. In none of the books was there ever a single mention of spiritual gifts. Now this does not take away from his teaching on theology and oppologetics, because those are taught systematically. Anyway, I sent an e mail to hm and never even got a response back from anyone.
So I started to do more research and found that many baptist seminaries don't believe in the gifts of the spirit are for today...

I will tell you though. When Adrian Rodgers passed away, the evil one weaseled his way into the SBC... Now the best thing that has happened to the Southern Baptist Seminary is Al Mohler. He has started to set atleast his seminary straight, but still, its sad whats happening over there.

:crying:

jgredline said:
I will tell you though. When Adrian Rodgers passed away, the evil one weaseled his way into the SBC... Now the best thing that has happened to the Southern Baptist Seminary is Al Mohler. He has started to set atleast his seminary straight, but still, its sad whats happening over there.

:crying:

I hear ya, however; I am currently attending Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary and it truly is an awesome Seminary with a wonderful President named Dr. Akin. I must agree there are problems with the SBC, however; there are still a lot of great things about it as well. One thing is for certain, I am glad for the conservative resurgence (aka the fundamentalist take over) in the SBC.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back