Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Gaming

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Skillet

Hey,

This is the thread about gaming! There wasn't any particular thread about it so I figured I'd make one since I was talking about it on a different thread which was getting off-topic.

Yes, make a topic. Most of the threads I found were either very specific or very old.

;)

It's really odd about where to put this thread. I guess Tech Talk does fit, but it could go in Humor, Jokes & Games, although that is mostly referring to Forum Games. Pop culture? Maybe. I dunno, it's a bit ambiguous.

-------

Anyway, my console of choice is the Xbox 360. I used to have an NES and still do have a PSone, which does actually work! The only PC gaming I do is either for Sim City 2000, Age of Empires (yeah, oldschool) or F.E.A.R.

I'm not sure whether to get the PS4 or the Xbox One. I like features about both. I'll probably wait until late next year to make my choice. By then it will be a more informed choice and it will cost me less :)

The PS3 probably has better value and there are some cool exclusives on it that I've seen, and I prefer their approach to games Re: cloud. But I've always found the controller on PlayStations to be coutner-productive, and the Xbox to be much more natural in your hand. I do especially love the Xbox Live online community. Yes you pay for it but IMO you get what you pay for, and that privacy scare of Sony's and how they handled it puts me off getting a PS4.

At the moment I'm going for Xbox One, but I'm open-minded and will wait for the decision to become more clear.

It's really odd about where to put this thread. I guess Tech Talk does fit, but it could go in Humor, Jokes & Games, although that is mostly referring to Forum Games. Pop culture? Maybe. I dunno, it's a bit ambiguous.

-------

Anyway, my console of choice is the Xbox 360. I used to have an NES and still do have a PSone, which does actually work! The only PC gaming I do is either for Sim City 2000, Age of Empires (yeah, oldschool) or F.E.A.R.

I'm not sure whether to get the PS4 or the Xbox One. I like features about both. I'll probably wait until late next year to make my choice. By then it will be a more informed choice and it will cost me less :)

The PS3 probably has better value and there are some cool exclusives on it that I've seen, and I prefer their approach to games Re: cloud. But I've always found the controller on PlayStations to be coutner-productive, and the Xbox to be much more natural in your hand. I do especially love the Xbox Live online community. Yes you pay for it but IMO you get what you pay for, and that privacy scare of Sony's and how they handled it puts me off getting a PS4.

At the moment I'm going for Xbox One, but I'm open-minded and will wait for the decision to become more clear.
I thought it would fit the best in here since gaming is mostly "tech stuff" and "Humor, Jokes & Games" didn't seem like the right place.

Anyway,
Age Of Empires. I used to play that like so much! Good memories.

I'm not entirely sure about which console I'd get either. They both seem like good consoles to me, the Xbox probably having a better controller though. I like the Xbox 360 controller much more than the PS3 controller, and the Xbox 360 is more user-friendly as well.

Hardware wise, the PS4 has a much stronger GPU in it as well, which would make the games look better etc. but if the game is good it won't matter all that much.

For now I'll just stick to my laptop which does fine for most games, and might get either the PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One later on when needed.

Gaming is addictive. :-(
Very, I haven't got Battlefield 3 for all that long and I've already played it for about 25 hours in total (Multiplayer only)!

Used to play Need For Speed games loads as well when I was younger.

Hey,

This is the thread about gaming! There wasn't any particular thread about it so I figured I'd make one since I was talking about it on a different thread which was getting off-topic.

;)

Do you have a personal favorite game, Skillet? I guess mine was Skyrim.

Do you have a personal favorite game, Skillet? I guess mine was Skyrim.

I've played Skyrim like twice at a friend's house, pretty sweet game! At the moment, my favorite would be Battlefield 3. Been getting into it lately and it's just an amazing looking game and the multiplayer gameplay is just great, you have the ability to shoot down buildings with tanks etc. which is just really cool and all that. ;)

What other games do you like?

I've played Skyrim like twice at a friend's house, pretty sweet game! At the moment, my favorite would be Battlefield 3. Been getting into it lately and it's just an amazing looking game and the multiplayer gameplay is just great, you have the ability to shoot down buildings with tanks etc. which is just really cool and all that. ;)

What other games do you like?
Yes, the graphics of Elder Scrolls V are phenomenally realistic, and the AI and vast number of NPCs and side quests make for many hours of entertaining play.

Haven't tried Battlefield 3. Have enjoyed playing Black Ops and Black Ops II multi-player.

Another multi-player game I'm currently playing, which is surprising good for being completely free is Star Wars the Old Republic.

Yes, the graphics of Elder Scrolls V are phenomenally realistic, and the AI and vast number of NPCs and side quests make for many hours of entertaining play.

Haven't tried Battlefield 3. Have enjoyed playing Black Ops and Black Ops II multi-player.

Another multi-player game I'm currently playing, which is surprising good for being completely free is Star Wars the Old Republic.

Ah I've played a lot and a lot of Call of Duty, but just got a bit tired of it now, just run > shoot > level up etc. etc. and in Battlefield it's not just about getting kills which I like a bit more currently, but CoD has some great games!

I've played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, haven't played the new free one yet, but it looked like a really nice game!

I'd love to play Skyrim, everything I've heard and seen about it seems amazing. But my computer won't be able to handle the graphics. Once I get a new computer with an up to date graphic card I will be much more tempted to try the Elder Scrolls games, probably resulting in me falling for some gaming addiction again. :sad
I can imagine SW:TOR is great. Seems it has a decent PvP system. Same problem with my graphic card and my tendency to get addicted to immersive games.

I'd love to play Skyrim, everything I've heard and seen about it seems amazing. But my computer won't be able to handle the graphics. Once I get a new computer with an up to date graphic card I will be much more tempted to try the Elder Scrolls games, probably resulting in me falling for some gaming addiction again. :sad
I can imagine SW:TOR is great. Seems it has a decent PvP system. Same problem with my graphic card and my tendency to get addicted to immersive games.

If your computer came with Windows 7 or 8, you should be OK for both games. They automatically set the graphics to work with your computer's graphics card. With Skyrim, you can also manually set the game's graphics to the lowest setting. Has some drawbacks, as some things (like the webs of giant spiders) are no longer visible and NPCs shooting arrows or spells from too far away can no longer be seen, but the game is still enjoyable. The makers of Skyrim also have a new online game currently in beta testing, which is called Elder Scrolls Online, I think. Not sure when it will be available to the full public. If you decide to try Skyrim, I'd recommend using an XBox 360 controller with a USB connection.

Ah I've played a lot and a lot of Call of Duty, but just got a bit tired of it now, just run > shoot > level up etc. etc. and in Battlefield it's not just about getting kills which I like a bit more currently, but CoD has some great games!

I've played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, haven't played the new free one yet, but it looked like a really nice game!

Story line is interesting. You can play as a Jedi or Sith, and you can play player vs player, if you choose. Combat is all point and click, but if you choose a character that is focused more on the force than the light saber, there are several good options available to make for more variety. There are also options to switch sides and become a double agent, but I haven't advanced that far, yet. I'm doing all the side quests to level up, as players ignoring these quests report their characters are too weak to survive long on other planets.

If your computer came with Windows 7 or 8, you should be OK for both games. They automatically set the graphics to work with your computer's graphics card. With Skyrim, you can also manually set the game's graphics to the lowest setting. Has some drawbacks, as some things (like the webs of giant spiders) are no longer visible and NPCs shooting arrows or spells from too far away can no longer be seen, but the game is still enjoyable. The makers of Skyrim also have a new online game currently in beta testing, which is called Elder Scrolls Online, I think. Not sure when it will be available to the full public. If you decide to try Skyrim, I'd recommend using an XBox 360 controller with a USB connection.
My computer came with windows vista... 5 years ago. :sad It was a rather cheap laptop. I played World of Warcraft on it for 3 years, and it worked because WoW's graphic engine was made in 2005 or so. But their graphics got more and more demanding over time and in the end I could only play with my graphics reduced to a minimum and having more than maybe ten players on one spot reduced my frame per second rates down to a level where I could not act or react any more, making me a useless player for most group situations (and group situations are what mmorpgs are about, right? And I used to love PvP, but my poor graphics just didn't allow for a good performance in many cases).
Now I haven't been playing a graphically intense game for more than a year, but I'm noticing how my computer is starting to struggle even with everyday internet business. I'm thinking about updating drivers and maybe using a different OS, but this computer is just growing old. Sooner or later the hardware will start failing, and then I'll be much better and cheaper off just buying an up-to-date new computer. And maybe I'm gonna play skyrim then. :) Or skyrim online.

It was a rather cheap laptop. I played World of Warcraft on it for 3 years,

WoW stole 3 years of my life also......

Sooner or later the hardware will start failing, and then I'll be much better and cheaper off just buying an up-to-date new computer. And maybe I'm gonna play skyrim then. :) Or skyrim online.

been play Borderlands 2................ Just was not able to get into Skyrim. I might later, but Borderlands 2 has lots of guns and action.

Story line is interesting. You can play as a Jedi or Sith, and you can play player vs player, if you choose. Combat is all point and click, but if you choose a character that is focused more on the force than the light saber, there are several good options available to make for more variety. There are also options to switch sides and become a double agent, but I haven't advanced that far, yet. I'm doing all the side quests to level up, as players ignoring these quests report their characters are too weak to survive long on other planets.

Sounds pretty sweet! :)
Ah, was it good? I never really played it because when I was younger I wasn't allowed to (for various reasons) and I'm actually quite happy that I didn't because I'd have probably spent a lot of money on it (it costs a lot of money a month to play right). Used to always play games like Need For Speed Underground 1/2, Taz Wanted, Call of Duty 1 (YES THE FIRST ONE OUT OF ALL ;) ) and Age Of Empires 2.

Sounds pretty sweet! :)

Ah, was it good? I never really played it because when I was younger I wasn't allowed to (for various reasons) and I'm actually quite happy that I didn't because I'd have probably spent a lot of money on it (it costs a lot of money a month to play right). Used to always play games like Need For Speed Underground 1/2, Taz Wanted, Call of Duty 1 (YES THE FIRST ONE OUT OF ALL ;) ) and Age Of Empires 2.

I liked Age of Empires. There are actually private servers if you want to play WoW for free. It's sort of limited because I think the expansions go up to Cat, but it's free and fun..

Better yet, spend the time reading the Word. Never waste of time doing that.

Mike.

My computer came with windows vista... 5 years ago. :sad It was a rather cheap laptop. I played World of Warcraft on it for 3 years, and it worked because WoW's graphic engine was made in 2005 or so. But their graphics got more and more demanding over time and in the end I could only play with my graphics reduced to a minimum and having more than maybe ten players on one spot reduced my frame per second rates down to a level where I could not act or react any more, making me a useless player for most group situations (and group situations are what mmorpgs are about, right? And I used to love PvP, but my poor graphics just didn't allow for a good performance in many cases).
Now I haven't been playing a graphically intense game for more than a year, but I'm noticing how my computer is starting to struggle even with everyday internet business. I'm thinking about updating drivers and maybe using a different OS, but this computer is just growing old. Sooner or later the hardware will start failing, and then I'll be much better and cheaper off just buying an up-to-date new computer. And maybe I'm gonna play skyrim then. :) Or skyrim online.

It's possible you have too many programs running at once taking up resources. Also programs that crash can prevent memory from being freed up so that it's not available until the computer restarts. Before playing a game, try restarting your computer and then closing any programs that you don't need at the moment.

If you want to invest in one of the best gaming computers, they are pricy, with the DELL XPS being the most reasonable. Here's a PC Magazine article from a couple of years ago:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393552,00.asp

been play Borderlands 2................ Just was not able to get into Skyrim. I might later, but Borderlands 2 has lots of guns and action.
I've played Borderlands 2, some. Liked the armed vehicles. Hated the story line and graphics. You might like Fallout New Vegas. It has a good variety of guns, and other weapons, good graphics and story line. Excellent AI, with many side quests. The choices the player makes determines the options available later in the game, so it requires some thinking.

Last edited:
I liked Age of Empires. There are actually private servers if you want to play WoW for free. It's sort of limited because I think the expansions go up to Cat, but it's free and fun..

Better yet, spend the time reading the Word. Never waste of time doing that.

Mike.

I'd like to see someone create a biblical game set during the Old Testament. Lots of epic battles! You could play tactical and command the armies of Israel, or first person and be a warrior like David or a prophet like Elijah, calling down fiery artillery from the heavens.

:thumbsup

Hey, it could happen.

;)

Last edited:
It's possible you have too many programs running at once taking up resources. Also programs that crash can prevent memory from being freed up so that it's not available until the computer restarts. Before playing a game, try restarting your computer and then closing any programs that you don't need at the moment.

If you want to invest in one of the best gaming computers, they are pricy, with the DELL XPS being the most reasonable. Here's a PC Magazine article from a couple of years ago:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393552,00.asp
I would never buy a gaming computer of a "brand" e.g. Dell, HP, Acer etc. since they are usually way overpriced than that the hardware inside of them is worth.
Buying the parts and then assembling it is the best way to go! For $750 you can get a gaming desktop that can run about all games on high-max! :)

Back