Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Gardening

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
G

gingercat

I enjoy gardening in most of my spare time. I don't have a big yard, so I made most of it a garden.

I have a lot of annuals, perenials, bushes and trees. Plants names are so difficult for me to remember, so I don't know most of them.

I have been giving away a lot of baby plants because they produce a lot every year. It has been my "getting to know neighborhood" tool. :biggrin

gingercat said:
I enjoy gardening in most of my spare time. I don't have a big yard, so I made most of it a garden.

I don't have a big yard either and unlike you I don't like gardening or cutting grass. Less than a month ago I solved a big part of that problem by laying 20 yards of reinforced concrete. Portland is the solution to your yard maintainance issues.

I have noticed that many men don't like doing gadening. When I think about the digging, I get energized. I have developped a lot of leg muscles. :biggrin I believe one of the main reason why my husband left us because of my big gaden to help me up. :roll:

I've forgotten what lawns look like since mine has been converted into a jungle. Now this is what I call a work of faith. I didn't have to do a thing. I believed it would turn into a jungle without doing any works to prove my faith. And since it is now a jungle I am firmly convinced that faith by itself can achieve much.

On the other hand I'm having trouble with the sort of faith that requires the resurrection of the lawn. It has been buried for some time and it probably smells but no matter how much I believe, it is just not coming forth. Someone suggested I get down on my knees but they got dirty so I gave up. Now I'm starting to doubt certain aspects of my faith.

Some fundamentalist gardner told me that it is necessary to believe in a trinity of elements in order that life might be restored to my lawn. These three are The Soil, The Water and The Air. I believe! I believe! I told him. He then said, "you need to lay hands on it." And I was just about to try this out when someone whispered in my ear, "do you REALLY need a lawn?" Well, this was the first time I had even thought about it. I always believed that the lawn was the only way to go. Now it seems that some people think you don't need a lawn. They have converted to concrete! Heresy!! But then again . . .

Oh this is all too much. I think I'll go to bed now.

:smt043 , thank you for your input, mutz :-D :-D :-D :-D

God gave us beautiful flowers to enjoy. Those flowers will not be beautifully blossom if we don't take super care of them.

I believe Christianity is the same way. If we are not commited to Him completely we will never learn to know Him and therefore we will not know His blessings.

What kind of faith is it if we don't know His blessings fully?

garden

gingercat said:
. I have developped a lot of leg muscles. :biggrin I believe one of the main reason why my husband left us because of my big gaden to help me up. :roll:

Somehow I don't think that was it.

Re: garden

reznwerks said:
Somehow I don't think that was it.

You don't how much he hated being dirty :sad our house was like construction site for a long time. :-D

Anyways, of course there are many, many reasons. 8-) When I was a non believer and he is non-committed churchgoer, we accumulated humongouse problems.

Thanks to Jesus, we are now a big happy family :angel:. Unfortunately, my husband does not want to join us. :sad

I despise annuals, I really do. They are such a pain to have to rebuy every year. GRRR..

I prefer flowering shrubs, hostas, ferns and trees. I work for Plant Essentials, a gardenning group thing that is employed through lowes. If you have any questions I might be able to help you out with them :-p

wait, the only annual I like, is salvia.. just because it looks cool, and alsot celosia (or coleis, I cant remember the exact name of it, and i get the 2 confused)

Thank you peace for your offer. :biggrin

You know those annuals keep comimg back from last year's dropped seeds. :tongue

yes, usualy. But then they don't always come back where you exactly wanted them, or, if you have lots of Mulch or stones or whatever to keep weeds from coming up, they also have a lower chance of rebirth :-(... I attempt to keep all teh gardens at my house mulched, to prevent weeds.. and it works (90% of the time)... so the few annuals my mom plants, RARELY come back.

If you have mulched, it is hard for them to come back. I don't mulch my garden.

oo why not?

I cant stand pulling weeds. It really really ticks me off. I mean, 1 or 2, not a problem. But i hate havign to go out 3 times a week, and pull them before they get huge, and I really don't want to risk weedkillers that might touch my plants, or ruin the soil.

How do you have the patience?

I don't know, I just don't mind pulling weeds too much :biggrin

I have so many plants that I don't bother with the mulch.

Gardening is such a lonely subject. :crying: anyone else would like to join?

I love to garden.

I have planted many trees on my property, including dogwood, pear (both fruit and cleveland), peach, apple, magnolia, willow and even have a grapefruit tree that I keep in a pot to bring indoors during winter.

I planted a vege garden recently with peppers and other stuff.

I really need to work on my grass now, it is terrible.

I am a member of the Weather Channel's Green Thumb Club (link)

I love to talk and learn. Some some message boards I post on I go by the name Bonsai and my brother almost has a bachelor's degree in botany and horticulture.

Kris,

Do you have flowers and bushes too? I have such small yard that I cannot afford to have fruit trees. We did not have any plants and trees at first. I planted everything from scratch. I planted a lot of shade trees; it has been for seven years and starting to have nice shady yard now. :biggrin

Ginger

Thought I'd better post something serious after my last effort.

We (family of 6) live rurally west of Auckland NZ. We are 10 minutes from the west coast. It is very rugged but beautiful and windswept. We are in a valley and consequently suffer the effects of the prevailing and sometimes very strong westerlies from the Tasman Sea.

I have put in what I thought would be a nice shelter belt of Feijoa trees about 8 years ago and only in the last couple of years have they produced anything worthwhile.

We also have persimmon and lemon trees. Vegetables and herbs have to be grown in raised beds or pots and in shelter because of the wind.

And then there are the pets - trying to protect from dogs, cats, chook, as well as wild ducks and pukeko (a native flightless swamp bird).

And then there is the lawn . . . ugh!!

Thank you Ed,

It seems that you have to work hard to get them going. I live in Texas and we have to work hard and put a lot of fertilizer to grow everything. The soil is very poor. It is all rocky soil. I have been composting tons of leaves corrected in the neighborhood. I finally have decent soil after 7 years.

my house is the old servants house from the 1830's on a farm :-P lol.

We know our soil is pretty good, because whenever we till a garden, we used to find cow or horse bones :-P

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back