Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

GERD seems to be getting progressively worse

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
For years I would get acid reflux/heartburn when lying down or after drinking, like, acidic fruit juice. It was occasional and of no concern.

Last year it started to get to where I'd literally wake up choking on stomach acid and struggling to breathe in the middle of the night, or multiple times a night.

Lately, it seems I get acid reflux while standing. Two or three times now in the past week, I've burped and some nasty stuff that feels like acid comes up into my throat. I end up having to sip water for a few minutes to get rid of it.

For years I would get acid reflux/heartburn when lying down or after drinking, like, acidic fruit juice. It was occasional and of no concern.

Last year it started to get to where I'd literally wake up choking on stomach acid and struggling to breathe in the middle of the night, or multiple times a night.

Lately, it seems I get acid reflux while standing. Two or three times now in the past week, I've burped and some nasty stuff that feels like acid comes up into my throat. I end up having to sip water for a few minutes to get rid of it.
You know you have gerd and they don't surgerically fix it.my wife has her esophagus scar tissue removed when they saw it as she had severe acid reflux and was told there is no gerd as that is what happens when the stomach penetrates the diaphragm .

She had problems swallowing and they did a endoscopy to see what was going on

Have you tried taking antacids and do they help clear it up. They usually work pretty quick for me.

Eliminating things from your diet that you know can cause it, might be a good start. It's like the old joke where a guy visits his doctor and says, "Hey Doc. It hurts when I do this." To which his doctor replies, "Then don't do that!"

For example. I've learned that caffein will give me heartburn. If I drink caffeinated coffee, I have to be sure to have antacids nearby because within a couple hours I'll feel it. So, I eliminated caffeinated coffee and stick to decaf.

Have you tried taking antacids and do they help clear it up. They usually work pretty quick for me.

Eliminating things from your diet that you know can cause it, might be a good start. It's like the old joke where a guy visits his doctor and says, "Hey Doc. It hurts when I do this." To which his doctor replies, "Then don't do that!"

For example. I've learned that caffein will give me heartburn. If I drink caffeinated coffee, I have to be sure to have antacids nearby because within a couple hours I'll feel it. So, I eliminated caffeinated coffee and stick to decaf.
When I am getting reflux standing up, I tend to think it's likely gone beyond simple life changes to fix it.
Antacids.... I'm guessing not, but does Omeprazole count

When I am getting reflux standing up, I tend to think it's likely gone beyond simple life changes to fix it.
Antacids.... I'm guessing not, but does Omeprazole count
Omeprazole is basically a prescription strength antacid.

As far as getting reflux when standing, my heartburn comes whether I'm standing, sitting, or laying down. One time it was so bad I stopped in the ER on my way home from working late. Fortunately, it was just heartburn and my doctor prescribe a prescription strength antacid. I only discovered by accident that it was caused by caffein.

Lifestyle changes can have a profound impact on our health. I was drinking a lot of coffee throughout the day at work and one day decided I should switch to decaf for the health benefits. It was either that or cut back on the coffee but I chose the decaf route. Very soon I began to notice that I was not experiencing heartburn anymore, which is odd because when searching for the side-effects of too much caffeinated coffee, heartburn is the first thing listed because the acid is still present in the coffee. That was about 15 years ago and to this day, if I drink regular coffee I can expect issues within a short time.

About 15 years ago during one of my semi-annual doctor visits where we evaluated my blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride medications my doctor asked how I was feeling overall. I told him I was having some issues with what seemed to be excess fatigue but I was extra busy at work so I was getting up at 4:00 am every day and figured that was probably the cause. He recommended a blood test just to be sure and the result was that my potassium levels were very low. Potassium is one of the primary electrolytes used by our body for regulating muscle control and the heart being a muscle, he said it was probably lacking what it needed to function properly. He prescribed a 400mg supplement but I did some research and figured I could adjust my diet a little and get the potassium I needed. He agreed to let me try it for two weeks. Two weeks later my potassium levels were back to normal and all I did was change my dietary balance to lean more toward vegetables and fruits.

In February, 2012, during my semi-annual physical/checkup it was noted that my blood glucose was over 350mg/dL and my A1C was 10.4%. Normal glucose should be somewhere between 70 - 100mg/dL and normal A1C should be below 5.7%. These are both quite high. I was diagnosed type II diabetic. I was prescribed medication and asked to attend a diabetic training held at the clinic to teach me how to manage my diet. When I evaluated the amount of simple carbohydrates I consumed every day, it was an eye-opener. I began to manage my diet and limit my intake of simple carbohydrates down to about a maximum of 150g spread out throughout the day. By September of that year, just 6 months later, I had lost almost 30 lbs. and when we went to visit in-laws over the Labor day weekend I forgot my medication. While monitoring my glucose levels I noticed they were holding pretty much normal. I decided not to continue with my meds for another couple weeks and see if things continued to remain controlled. They did so I called my doctor and he said I could stop taking the meds and continue monitoring to be sure things remain okay. To this day I am still not requiring medication for my diabetes. The combination of dietary adjustments and weight loss paid off very well.

As an added benefit, losing those 30 lbs. has made it possible to reduce the dosages for my blood pressure and cholesterol meds.

Omeprazole is basically a prescription strength antacid.

As far as getting reflux when standing, my heartburn comes whether I'm standing, sitting, or laying down. One time it was so bad I stopped in the ER on my way home from working late. Fortunately, it was just heartburn and my doctor prescribe a prescription strength antacid. I only discovered by accident that it was caused by caffein.

Lifestyle changes can have a profound impact on our health. I was drinking a lot of coffee throughout the day at work and one day decided I should switch to decaf for the health benefits. It was either that or cut back on the coffee but I chose the decaf route. Very soon I began to notice that I was not experiencing heartburn anymore, which is odd because when searching for the side-effects of too much caffeinated coffee, heartburn is the first thing listed because the acid is still present in the coffee. That was about 15 years ago and to this day, if I drink regular coffee I can expect issues within a short time.

About 15 years ago during one of my semi-annual doctor visits where we evaluated my blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride medications my doctor asked how I was feeling overall. I told him I was having some issues with what seemed to be excess fatigue but I was extra busy at work so I was getting up at 4:00 am every day and figured that was probably the cause. He recommended a blood test just to be sure and the result was that my potassium levels were very low. Potassium is one of the primary electrolytes used by our body for regulating muscle control and the heart being a muscle, he said it was probably lacking what it needed to function properly. He prescribed a 400mg supplement but I did some research and figured I could adjust my diet a little and get the potassium I needed. He agreed to let me try it for two weeks. Two weeks later my potassium levels were back to normal and all I did was change my dietary balance to lean more toward vegetables and fruits.

In February, 2012, during my semi-annual physical/checkup it was noted that my blood glucose was over 350 and my A1C was 10.4. These are both quite high. I was diagnosed type II diabetic. I was prescribed medication and asked to attend a diabetic training held at the clinic to teach me how to manage my diet. When I evaluated the amount of simple carbohydrates I consumed every day, it was an eye-opener. I began to manage my diet and limit my intake of simple carbohydrates down to about a maximum of 150g spread out throughout the day. By September of that year, just 6 months later, I had lost almost 30 lbs. and when we went to visit in-laws over the Labor day weekend I forgot my medication. While monitoring my glucose levels I noticed they were holding pretty much normal. I decided not to continue with my meds for another couple weeks and see if things continued to remain controlled. They did so I called my doctor and he said I could stop taking the meds and continue monitoring to be sure things remain okay. To this day I am still not requiring medication for my diabetes. The combination of dietary adjustments and weight loss paid off very well.

As an added benefit, losing those 30 lbs. has made it possible to reduce the dosages for my blood pressure and cholesterol meds.
Ok. It's just that the progression from extremely mild GERD to more severe GERD over the coure of about 5 years would seem to indiciate that something is wrong that may be beyond my control.
I do plan to ask my dr about it, but he does tend to push meds a lot so that makes me a little wary.

Ok. It's just that the progression from extremely mild GERD to more severe GERD over the coure of about 5 years would seem to indiciate that something is wrong that may be beyond my control.
I do plan to ask my dr about it, but he does tend to push meds a lot so that makes me a little wary.
Even if the problem is unable to be totally resolved by lifestyle changes, making changes can be extremely beneficial. Notice that my blood pressure and cholesterol meds have not been eliminated but they have been reduced considerably. But, if you are just looking for an excuse to not make the changes, well, that's your choice.

Even if the problem is unable to be totally resolved by lifestyle changes, making changes can be extremely beneficial. Notice that my blood pressure and cholesterol meds have not been eliminated but they have been reduced considerably. But, if you are just looking for an excuse to not make the changes, well, that's your choice.
Nah, that wasn't my intention. I'll try to do what I can, it's just I don't know if it'll cure it and if I may need more treatment than just not eating or drinking certain things

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back