Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Give But Don't Be Taken

He must have seen me coming. It was like I just got off the boat, like I just fell off of the turnip truck. I was as green as an army conscript who asks, “Why are you giving me a gun?” He must have seen me coming. I was right out of seminary, just starting out in my first full time church. I had no idea that there were people in the world who would take advantage of me.

Yes, my friends, he must have seen me coming. Earl called me on the phone and said he had no more food and that he was starving. I raced into action. Rushing to my wife I screamed that there was an emergency and we had to help. We started to dig into our pantry. We grabbed all kinds of food and threw it into bags. We pulled stuff out of the refrigerator. I grabbed some cash and stuffed it into an envelope. We loaded it into the car and off I went. I dropped it off at Earl’s humble apartment – mission accomplished. I did my job; I helped a person in distress. I felt like superman after a successful day of battling the forces of evil. When I graduated seminary I was determined to change the world and make everyone happy. And here I was fulfilling that lofty goal.

However, there were a few things that bothered me about this encounter. When I reached Earl’s apartment there was someone there ahead of me. Someone else had responded to Earl’s call and rushed to his side. I had to get on line, take a number, and wait my turn to be a superhero. When I entered the flat I couldn’t help but notice all of the bags on the floor. There wasn’t much in the way of furniture, but there were grocery bags all over the place. I could see that Earl was poor, but he certainly collected a lot of stuff.

He also had several people in the apartment with him. His mother and wife were there to greet me. They were certainly not on anyone’s best dressed list. But they looked fairly healthy. Certainly not like people who were starving. They looked like they could have helped me bring the groceries in, which they did not do. I left the building with some lingering questions. How did these people get into this dire predicament? And how can they get out of it? I didn’t find answers to these questions, but I would discover quite a lot about Earl soon enough.

Earl became my buddy. He would call regularly pleading for help from starvation. I tried to counsel him on getting help from social services. There was always an excellent reason why he couldn’t go to the government offices and fill out the papers. I remember him being afraid of vast governmental forces conspiring against him. I tried to get him to be more independent. I told him about helping agencies that were within walking distance of his apartment. He complained about the distance. But distance didn’t stop him from walking to other churches in the search for hand outs. I would see him from time to time entering a church many miles from home. I continued to help him but I knew there was something that wasn’t right about my buddy Earl.

When I approached other Pastor’s I found out that everyone knew Earl. Pastor Al from the Methodist Church up the street had been helping Earl for years. Other Pastor’s said that Earl had been calling them as well. But I found out I was in the presence of greatness when I called the Salvation Army to ask for help and advice. They told me that they had a file on Earl going back to the late 1950’s. This was not an ordinary person struggling to make ends meet. This was a true professional – a master of his craft. He had honed his skills for 40 years, working tirelessly to live off of the kindness of others. In that time he had known many pastors just like me who had rushed to his call. He definitely saw me coming.

When I look back I realize that Earl could have asked me for anything and I would have given it to him. When I first met him I was so desperate to please and to help that he could have robbed me blind. If he asked for clothes I would have given him my wardrobe. If he asked for transportation I would have given him my car. I would have swum across the widest ocean and climbed the highest mountain. But would that have been the wisest thing to do? Would God have wanted me to give Earl everything leaving myself and my family with nothing? Does God want us to give everything we have away?

Well, the answer is no. You and I were not put on this earth to make everybody happy. I consider that I have been given some responsibility over the individuals around me. But that leaves me with competing responsibilities. First things first, I have a responsibility to myself. Jesus took care of his basic needs. We see him eating and drinking in the gospel records. He lived a frugal life but he took care of the necessities of life. Therefore, all of us need to take care of number one. A starving man isn’t much use to anyone.

All of us have a responsibility to take care of our family’s as well. The story of Joseph in the book of Genesis is a good example of this. Joseph had the chance to get even with his brothers for their betrayal. But instead he provides for them, thus ensuring Israel’s future. I need to be mindful of my family’s future as well. My wife and I have at times opened our home to a few needy people. However, we have been very careful about who we let in. Some homeless people I have met would put terrible pressure on my family and possibly ruin my home. In all of Jesus’ statements to his supporters I don’t see any that say give to the poor even if it means destroying your own family. We have a responsibility to our family first, and then we balance that out with our responsibility to ministering to those in need.

When it comes to ministering to the poor there is one passage that has helped more than any other. Jesus tells his followers in Matthew 10:16 to, “be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.” At that time snakes were considered to be wise and cunning. Doves were looked upon as faithful to their mates. I have thought of this passage as telling me to be a faithful minister of mercy to everyone God places in my path. But I shouldn’t allow myself to be used. I wasn’t given a commission to make everyone happy. I can be a friend to people but not a puppet. If I allow myself to be used it makes my life miserable. If I allow myself to be taken advantage of it takes away from my family. This one passage gives me the balance I seek when I reach out to people. Give but don’t be taken.

In the end I didn’t continue to make my buddy Earl happy. I realized that Earl could take care of his needs without my help. He was within walking distance of the soup kitchen that served a wonderful high calorie meal everyday. He could also walk to all of the social service offices in town as well as local food banks. I also realized that by making things easier for him I was enabling him to continue his life of subsistence. I told him that I thought he could take care of himself and I stopped helping him. I hope that was a wise decision. After all, Jesus provided hope for the entire world, but he did not provide everyone with a free lunch.

Peace,
Pastor Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike

BUMP - Delayed in being approved.

Do you have reason to disagree with this post? Do you think that the one verse he quotes is taken out of context? Do you think that maybe the idea of snakes and doves has nothing to do with the matter at hand? Or do you think that maybe the account of Joseph had a more to do with than just family? Do you think that if someone asks for our coat we should give him our shirt as well? Do you think that loving our enemies means that we should let them take us for everything we’re worth? Do you think this guy maybe bumped his head when he fell off the turnip truck? That maybe he should have done a better job of hanging on so he wouldn’t have fell out of the turnip truck in the first place? Do you think the Seminary was negligent in not having taught him about these people who took advantage of him? Do you think the Seminary officials were as lacking as this guy was? Do you think this guy was a little bereft in not exercising a little common sense? And where is this guy from that he had no knowledge of people who take advantage? Wouldn’t you like to live there? I sure would. Sounds like heaven to me.

FC

Last edited by a moderator:
Back