Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

God and the Bible

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
E

elijah23

It seems to me that the purpose of the Bible is to lead us to God. However, it also seems to me that some people are not interested in finding God—they are satisfied to have just found the Bible.

It seems to me that the purpose of the Bible is to lead us to God. However, it also seems to me that some people are not interested in finding God—they are satisfied to have just found the Bible.

We can't find God without the Bible. It came forth from the mouth of God, so, of course, we look to it to know Him.
Isaiah 55:11 said:
"So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
Without the Word, we would be unable to understand ourselves...much less God.
Hebrews 4:12 said:
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
The Word of God is as powerful as if God were speaking directly to each of us.
1 Thessalonians 1:5 said:
For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

He also speaks directly to us, I believe.

Yes, but how to be sure it's His voice if not supported by the written Word? It's as the written Word is quickened to our hearts that we have assurance of the truth of what we hear. Not only do we have Satan whispering in our ear appearing as an angel of light, but our own heart and mind can play powerful tricks.

Divine revelation comes through the written Word. The Spirit can prompt us to "go" or "whoa", but the Bible is where we find out why.

Yes, but how to be sure it's His voice if not supported by the written Word? It's as the written Word is quickened to our hearts that we have assurance of the truth of what we hear. Not only do we have Satan whispering in our ear appearing as an angel of light, but our own heart and mind can play powerful tricks.

Divine revelation comes through the written Word. The Spirit can prompt us to "go" or "whoa", but the Bible is where we find out why.

We do need to learn to distinguish the Lord’s voice from the other voices in our heads.

I think the inner voice is the devil !
How do you know it is the Lord, when Paul says it is evil talking in us.
That is why I put my trust in the word of God not the inner voice.

Psa 119:9 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed [thereto] according to thy word.

Psa 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Psa 119:16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Psa 119:17 GIMEL. Deal bountifully with thy servant, [that] I may live, and keep thy word.
Psa 119:25 DALETH. My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.

Psa 119:28 My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.
] Psa 119:38 Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who [is devoted] to thy fear.

Psa 119:41 VAU. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, [even] thy salvation, according to thy word.
Psa 119:42 So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.

Psa 119:50 This [is] my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
Psa 119:58 I intreated thy favour with [my] whole heart: be merciful unto me according to thy word.

Psa 119:65 TETH. Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O LORD, according unto thy word.
Psa 119:67 Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word.

Psa 119:74 They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word.

As for me and my house we will follow the word.

We do need to learn to distinguish the Lord’s voice from the other voices in our heads.

How does one do this without the Bible?

The Lord would teach you.

Imagine this conversation.

How do you know that what you believe / do is right?
Because God told me.
How did He tell you? Was it through the Bible?
No. He spoke to me directly.
How do you know it was God's voice?
Because God told me.
How did He tell you that?
He spoke to me directly.
How do you know that was God's voice.
Because God told me.

Am I the onlyl one that sees a problem here?

Because God told me.
Because God told me.
He spoke to me directly.
Because God told me.

:yes

This is a very dangerous place to play.

How would you know it was the Lord and not the devil disguised as an "angel of light"?

The Lord would find a way to make you understand it was his voice and not Satan’s. He can do anything.

From personal experience, we all learn what the Lord is all about, one way or another. He is motivated only by love, he is perfect, just, etc. etc. If the “voice†inside your head is suggesting something that is contrary to the qualities of the Lord, then don’t listen to it. Right?

The Lord would find a way to make you understand it was his voice and not Satan’s. He can do anything.

From personal experience, we all learn what the Lord is all about, one way or another. He is motivated only by love, he is perfect, just, etc. etc. If the “voice†inside your head is suggesting something that is contrary to the qualities of the Lord, then don’t listen to it. Right?

How do I find out what the qualities of the Lord are?

I think the inner voice is the devil !
How do you know it is the Lord, when Paul says it is evil talking in us.
That is why I put my trust in the word of God not the inner voice.

As for me and my house we will follow the word.

The great commandment is that we are to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls. I think that means we need to develop a personal relationship with the Lord.

Because God told me.
Because God told me.
He spoke to me directly.
Because God told me.

As I just told Elvispelvis, the great commandment is that we are to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls. I think that means we need to develop a personal relationship with the Lord.

As I just told Elvispelvis, the great commandment is that we are to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls. I think that means we need to develop a personal relationship with the Lord.

How can we do that without knowing what He has revealed about Himself in His word?

How do I find out what the qualities of the Lord are?

From experience we learn what hurts. We learn that if we don’t want people to hurt us, we mustn’t hurt them. We believe God is perfect and believe he, therefore, lives by the same rules.

How can we do that without knowing what He has revealed about Himself in His word?

The Lord communicates with us. It isn’t something we come to understand overnight, I don’t believe. It takes time to learn how to understand him. Certainly I am not a master at it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back