Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

God and the Bible

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The Lord would find a way to make you understand it was his voice and not Satan’s. He can do anything.

From personal experience, we all learn what the Lord is all about, one way or another. He is motivated only by love, he is perfect, just, etc. etc. If the “voice†inside your head is suggesting something that is contrary to the qualities of the Lord, then don’t listen to it. Right?

Remember when satan was tempting Jesus in the widerness? Satan sounded so reasonable, and yet Jesus answered him with Scripture. While here, Jesus never told us to listen to voices in our head but to search Scripture. Notice this....the man of God is "thoroughly furnished" with Scripture. The Bible is not a partial revelation, but the full revelation. It's all right there, and that's how He speaks to us.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 said:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Jesus said...
John 18:21 said:
Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me, what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said.

Remember when satan was tempting Jesus in the widerness? Satan sounded so reasonable, and yet Jesus answered him with Scripture. While here, Jesus never told us to listen to voices in our head but to search Scripture. Notice this....the man of God is "thoroughly furnished" with Scripture. The Bible is not a partial revelation, but the full revelation. It's all right there, and that's how He speaks to us.

Jesus said...

The great commandment is to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls. How can we do that without having a personal relationship with him?

Here is something that might help you understand Satan:

Now the serpent was more subtle than any other wild creature that the LORD God had made. Gen 3:1 RSV

From experience we learn what hurts. We learn that if we don’t want people to hurt us, we mustn’t hurt them. We believe God is perfect and believe he, therefore, lives by the same rules.

What if my experience teaches me that sin is good? How do I know what is sin and what isn't sin?

What if my experience teaches me that sin is good? How do I know what is sin and what isn't sin?

Sins are acts of selfishness that bring tribulation into our lives. Example: I rob a bank and spend five years in prison. We learn from experience not to commit sins. We save ourselves a lot of trouble if we listen to the Lord when he tells us ahead of time not to do these things.

Sins are acts of selfishness that bring tribulation into our lives. Example: I rob a bank and spend five years in prison. We learn from experience not to commit sins. We save ourselves a lot of trouble if we listen to the Lord when he tells us ahead of time not to do these things.

Some sins bring me a good benefit? What then?

Here's another example:

An unmarried man has sex with an unmarried woman. Later, they get married. There are no apparent bad effects - no STDs, no legal consequences. The only bad thing about it is that it's sinful. It doesn't bring any tribulation into their lives. It wasn't even selfis, as they were expressing their love to each other. The fact is that the definition of sin is not "a selfish act that hurts someone", but

Sin is the transgression of the law. (I John 3:4 KJV)​

Since sin is a transgression of the law, then the only way to know what sin is is to know the law. Guess which book we can find that in.

Sin does hurt us. We can have lifelong psychological effects from any sin we commit---and that includes fornication. Love between unmarried people having sex doesn't mitigate the sin in any way.

Sin does hurt us. We can have lifelong psychological effects from any sin we commit---and that includes fornication. Love between unmarried people having sex doesn't mitigate the sin in any way.

That was my point. I said there were no apparent ill effects. Elija said that sin was some selfish act that brought some tribulation into our lives. I'm just showing that sin doesn't allways have to be selfish and it does sometimes seem to be good. It is, however, always sin and does hurt our relationship with God. We need to know what the Bible says about sin to be able to recognize it and avoid it.

What if I don't know what sin is?
The Lord tells us ahead of time not to do this or do that. If we don’t listen, then we know by the awful consequences of the sin we’ve committed. Right?

You cannot sin and be happy.

That is why the Lord told us not to sin—he wants what is best for us.

When we sin, we are uncomfortable, which is reasonable for a Christian. Happiness is based on one's circumstances, but joy supersedes them. Even when I sin, I still have joy in Christ.

God doesn't tell us not to sin for happiness' sake. In the scheme of things, God doesn't give a rip whether you or I are happy or not. He cares about our righteous standing with Him, and whether He can use us or not--whether or not we are malleable to His touch, and obedient to His will. His ultimate will is that we lead others to Him.

The Lord tells us ahead of time not to do this or do that. If we don’t listen, then we know by the awful consequences of the sin we’ve committed. Right?

How is it possible for the Lord to tell me ahead of time?

There are plenty of sins that make people feel good and many people enjoy sinning and some sins have no consequences but produce nothing but ecstatic pleasure.

God could have said to someone "make yourself feel good today."

That means that fornication would have been a "yay", and going to school would have been a "nay."

There obedience to the the voice of "God" speaking. :yes

"Every man did that which was right in his own eyes."
[Judges 17:6]

Take care that none today return to the same condition that Israel was in during the time of the judges. This statement in Judges 17:6 and 21:25 is not a positive statement about Israel, but a negative one. This sin of "doing that which was right in (their) own eyes" was what accounted for the sin of Micah in continuing in idol worship. There were no judges in the land to point out this sin or restrain the people from it. This resulted in many departing the truth and following after subjectivism. Self-worship is idolatry. It seems that some advocate "Bump and Learn" blind man theology. The "college of hard knocks" is not the only method that God chooses. It is not even the primary way. God does work in all things for the good of them that love Him, it's true. Do what is right in His sight. But some will not hear this simple message.

[2 Timothy 3:16 KJV said:
All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
  • Matthew 7:15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.
  • Acts 20:29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.
  • 1 Timothy 4:16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.
  • Galatians 5:24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

2 Timothy 4:3 said:
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

David Wilkerson said:
"You see, Paul was calling God’s people everywhere to love the truth - to search it out, study it and obey it. He wrote, in essence, "Let the truth be your guide! Don’t turn aside from it. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you eyes to see it, ears to hear it, and a heart to love it. Otherwise, you’ll open yourself to deception...

Partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of GOOD and Evil was the first sin. The remedy for that sin in the Garden of Eden was "Yes, God HATH said!" Today, the remedy is still the same --> God has said of His Word that it is good."

~Sparrow

It seems to me that the purpose of the Bible is to lead us to God. However, it also seems to me that some people are not interested in finding God—they are satisfied to have just found the Bible.

Some people are satisfied to find salvation, but are not interested in growing in God's grace, and reject the deeper things of God, the meat of the word that God provides so we can grow from spiritual babyhood to become spiritual giants, gaining freedom from bondage and healing and victory and taking these things to the world.

Hebrews 5:12-14 NLT
You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God’s word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food. For someone who lives on milk is still an infant and doesn’t know how to do what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong.

"Every man did that which was right in his own eyes."
[Judges 17:6]

Take care that none today return to the same condition that Israel was in during the time of the judges. This statement in Judges 17:6 and 21:25 is not a positive statement about Israel, but a negative one. This sin of "doing that which was right in (their) own eyes" was what accounted for the sin of Micah in continuing in idol worship. There were no judges in the land to point out this sin or restrain the people from it. This resulted in many departing the truth and following after subjectivism. Self-worship is idolatry. It seems that some advocate "Bump and Learn" blind man theology. The "college of hard knocks" is not the only method that God chooses. It is not even the primary way. God does work in all things for the good of them that love Him, it's true. Do what is right in His sight. But some will not hear this simple message.

• Matthew 7:15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.
  • Acts 20:29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.
  • 1 Timothy 4:16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.
  • Galatians 5:24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

Partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of GOOD and Evil was the first sin. The remedy for that sin in the Garden of Eden was "Yes, God HATH said!" Today, the remedy is still the same --> God has said of His Word that it is good."

~Sparrow

Excellentpost.gif

When we sin, we are uncomfortable, which is reasonable for a Christian. Happiness is based on one's circumstances, but joy supersedes them. Even when I sin, I still have joy in Christ.

God doesn't tell us not to sin for happiness' sake. In the scheme of things, God doesn't give a rip whether you or I are happy or not. He cares about our righteous standing with Him, and whether He can use us or not--whether or not we are malleable to His touch, and obedient to His will. His ultimate will is that we lead others to Him.

The Lord wants what is best for us.

How is it possible for the Lord to tell me ahead of time?

The Lord can anticipate what is going to happen. He looks ahead and sees temptation coming your way. He warns you.

It takes time to develop a relationship with the Lord. Be patient.

There are plenty of sins that make people feel good and many people enjoy sinning and some sins have no consequences but produce nothing but ecstatic pleasure.

The ecstatic pleasure is very short-lived, and then misery sets in.

God could have said to someone "make yourself feel good today."

That means that fornication would have been a "yay", and going to school would have been a "nay."

There obedience to the the voice of "God" speaking. :yes

The Lord is perfect—he would never issue such a command.

We must to learn to differentiate between the Lord’s voice and Satan’s.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back