Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Bible Study GOD Is A Spirit

Here is the problem with this site and the people on it that are so quick to jump to a point that they clearly do not understand and miss the beauty of a truth presented as a blessing to hearts that can understand.
God is the Eternal Self-existent Spirit Essence, the Majesty of Holiness. It should stand to reason that as a Spirit, God has to appear to His creatures in a form they may understand. And this has nothing to do with what I was saying. Look for the Beauty in the Price Jesus Paid. He did leave the PLACE OF THE ETERNAL GOD TO BE A MAN AND DIE IN MY PLACE. No Proof text you may find will improve on that BEAUTIFUL THOUGHT!

Let me know when you find that scripture that says God has no form.

Because God is spirit, He does not have a physical body. This means He is able to be omnipresent and is not limited by physical location. In John 4, Jesus tells the Samaritan woman at the well, "But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth" (John 4:23–24).

Jesus was a person with a physical body, and He was God on earth (John 1:1). Jesus is known as Immanuel, "God with us" (Matthew 1:23), but even Jesus, as the Son of God, was not able to be with every person in every place at once while on this earth. Jesus left earth so that we may have the Holy Spirit here with us: "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you" (John 16:7). It is necessary that God be spirit so that we are able to communicate with Him and be with Him at all times.

Anthropomorphism is "the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object." The Bible frequently utilizes this approach, ascribing human-like physical qualities to God. It mentions his eyes (2 Chronicles 16:9), mouth (Matthew 4:4), arm and hand (Psalm 89:13), and ear (Isaiah 59:1). This frequent use of anthropomorphism does not imply that God has a physical body, but it enables us to better understand His character and actions by viewing them through a lens that makes sense to us.

As spirit, God is invisible to our natural human eyes (Colossians 1:15; 1 Timothy 1:17), but He is nevertheless a living being, active in our lives and on the earth (Joshua 3:10; Psalm 84:2). As spirit, God is infinite, unlimited by any dimensions of time or space. He Himself was not created, but He is the self-existent one and the power that created all other beings and the entire universe. He described Himself to Moses in this way: "God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.' And he said, 'Say this to the people of Israel: "I AM has sent me to you"'" (Exodus 3:14).

Because God is spirit, He is with us at all times and is aware of our ways. David wrote, "Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me" (Psalm 139:7–10). Because God is spirit, we can be aware of and thankful for His constant presence with us in every situation.

Just because you do not believe it or understand the teaching does not change the fact " God is Spirit!"

Because God is spirit, He does not have a physical body. This means He is able to be omnipresent and is not limited by physical location. In John 4, Jesus tells the Samaritan woman at the well, "But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth" (John 4:23–24).

Jesus was a person with a physical body, and He was God on earth (John 1:1). Jesus is known as Immanuel, "God with us" (Matthew 1:23), but even Jesus, as the Son of God, was not able to be with every person in every place at once while on this earth. Jesus left earth so that we may have the Holy Spirit here with us: "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you" (John 16:7). It is necessary that God be spirit so that we are able to communicate with Him and be with Him at all times.

Anthropomorphism is "the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object." The Bible frequently utilizes this approach, ascribing human-like physical qualities to God. It mentions his eyes (2 Chronicles 16:9), mouth (Matthew 4:4), arm and hand (Psalm 89:13), and ear (Isaiah 59:1). This frequent use of anthropomorphism does not imply that God has a physical body, but it enables us to better understand His character and actions by viewing them through a lens that makes sense to us.

As spirit, God is invisible to our natural human eyes (Colossians 1:15; 1 Timothy 1:17), but He is nevertheless a living being, active in our lives and on the earth (Joshua 3:10; Psalm 84:2). As spirit, God is infinite, unlimited by any dimensions of time or space. He Himself was not created, but He is the self-existent one and the power that created all other beings and the entire universe. He described Himself to Moses in this way: "God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.' And he said, 'Say this to the people of Israel: "I AM has sent me to you"'" (Exodus 3:14).

Because God is spirit, He is with us at all times and is aware of our ways. David wrote, "Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me" (Psalm 139:7–10). Because God is spirit, we can be aware of and thankful for His constant presence with us in every situation.

Just because you do not believe it or understand the teaching does not change the fact " God is Spirit!"
I don’t read anywhere “God is an Anthropomorphism”

But I do read man was formed in the image and likeness of God.

The context of Jesus saying “God is a Spirit” refers NOT to his nature but to the nature of worship.

Did people worship Jesus?

Last edited:

Yes God is Spirit.

This of course does not mean God does not have a head and hands and legs and torso with which He is seated.

Just because you choose not to believe what the scriptures teach about God doesn’t change the truth that God has the attributes the scriptures ascribe to Him.

If we are made in His image then plainly we resemble Him.

Angels are spirits, and are sons of God, and they have features similar to ours.

The scriptures describes angels as men.

Now while I was speaking, praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God, yes, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, reached me about the time of the evening offering. Daniel 9:20-22

JLB

Yes God is Spirit.

This of course does not mean God does not have a head and hands and legs and torso with which He is seated.

Just because you choose not to believe what the scriptures teach about God doesn’t change the truth that God has the attributes the scriptures ascribe to Him.

Angels are spirits, and are sons of God, and they have features similar to ours.

The scriptures describes angels as men.

Now while I was speaking, praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God, yes, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, reached me about the time of the evening offering. Daniel 9:20-22

JLB
This is a shallow distinction without any positive meaning. Try reading the post #20 It is a praise to what salvation cost.
You may believe as you will, but so may I and others. It is a serious error to jump to such ideas and FAIL TO SEE THE BEAUTY OF SOMETHING WRITTEN HERE.

Last edited:
This is a shallow distinction without any positive meaning. Try reading the post #20 It is a praise to what salvation cost.
You may believe as you will, but so may I and others. It is a serious error to jump to such ideas and FAIL TO SEE THE BEAUTY OF SOMETHING WRITTEN HERE.

You made several statements accusing me of various things, yet you provided no scripture that teaches us God has no form, which was the claim you made.

Again -

Yes God is Spirit.

Read #25. I will not debate anyone that just wants to be right and will not respect other ideas.
In the future if you see something I post "JUST IGNORE IT!
I will offer you the same.
This is the end of this discussion, and any other between us.

Read #25. I will not debate anyone that just wants to be right and will not respect other ideas.
In the future if you see something I post "JUST IGNORE IT!
I will offer you the same.
This is the end of this discussion, and any other between us.

I will not debate anyone that just wants to be right and will not respect other ideas.

I posted the scriptures that shows us God has a head and hair and arms and hands and is seated on a throne.

Since then you refuse acknowledge these things and have resorted to ad hominiem.

Yes God is Spirit.

Adios.

Back