Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Godly living: Healthy and eternal

RBDERRICK

Supporter
1 Tim{4:8} For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

Exercise is good, but living healthy and active is better. Diet and exercise plans come and go, but godly living is good for now and forever.

Psa 96:9O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.

Looking good is by living well.

Pro 23:1When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.

Feed the hunger, not the face.

Rom 12:11Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

Pro 19:24A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.

An active person can be seen abroad, but the dormant are hidden sloths.

And finally, nutrition, vitamins, and minerals are best found in foods and drinks, not in pills. (That too is a bloated market alongside diet and exercise plans...)

1 Tim{4:8} For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

Exercise is good, but living healthy and active is better.
Isn't exercise "living healthy and active"? What do you think Paul means by "profiteth little," especially when science tells us of how substantially beneficial exercise actually is?

Isn't exercise "living healthy and active"?
Living healthy is eat, drink, and sleep. Activity is exercise.

What do you think Paul means by "profiteth little,"
Purposed exercise is for training, and has some profit to the body, but only if we are living healthy with it.

Godly living is healthy eating, drinking, and sleeping, with good activity in life.

Deu 34:7And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.

Nothing is said of Moses doing his exercises, but only of living godly unto the Lord.

especially when science tells us of how substantially beneficial exercise actually is?
All such science are to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially if relied on in place of standard healthy and active lifestyles. Unless someone is training for career or sport, then it's not necessary to know the science of such things. Common sense is enough to know that bodily exercise is better than lethargy.

The worst snare is to try and 'lose weight' by exercise, while gaining fat daily by eating and drinking.

Living well is for good health. Purposed exercise only produces extra lung capacity and muscular strength.

Last edited:
Living healthy is eat, drink, and sleep. Activity is exercise.

Purposed exercise is for training, and has some profit to the body, but only if we are living healthy with it.

Godly living is healthy eating, drinking, and sleeping, with good activity in life.

Deu 34:7And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.

Nothing is said of Moses doing his exercises, but only of living godly unto the Lord.

All such science are to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially if relied on in place of standard healthy and active lifestyles. Unless someone is training for career or sport, then it's not necessary to know the science of such things. Common sense is enough to know that bodily exercise is better than lethargy.
This is confusing as you seem to be arguing against exercise but say that people should have a “healthy and active lifestyle.” But exercise is a necessary part of a healthy and active lifestyle.

Physical exercise is not only necessary for living a long and healthy life, it has significant cognitive and mental health benefits at every age. And different types of exercise can produce different benefits. Of course nothing is said of Moses, or anyone else in the Bible, doing exercise, as they spent a lot of time walking and doing physical labour just to survive.

If more people actually knew just how beneficial exercise is, many more people would likely make it a habit.

The worst snare is to try and 'lose weight' by exercise, while gaining fat daily by eating and drinking.
I agree.

Living well is for good health. Purposed exercise only produces extra lung capacity and muscular strength.
As with other things above, this is confusing as you seem to be creating a false dichotomy between “living well” and “purposed exercise.” The irony of your statement is that VO2 max and grip strength (which is an indicator of muscular strength), are the two top factors in determining lifespan and healthspan.

This is confusing as you seem to be arguing against exercise but say that people should have a “healthy and active lifestyle.” But exercise is a necessary part of a healthy and active lifestyle. As with other things above, this is confusing as you seem to be creating a false dichotomy between “living well” and “purposed exercise.”
I've explained the difference between an active life, and purposed exercise. Being active is good for healthy living. Getting exercise helps a little, but is not necessary.

Godliness is profitable in this life, because it is moderation in all things, as well as active in daily affairs, both in business and in service to Christ.

No Scripture ever speaks of Moses nor Jesus ever 'getting' exercise. They lived good by the law, and were active in daily life.

The irony of your statement is that VO2 max and grip strength (which is an indicator of muscular strength), are the two top factors in determining lifespan and healthspan.
Which is sufficient by an active daily life. Adding exercise to it is a little better, but not necessary.

Godly living with profit in the mountains, on the plain, on the sea, in the city, and in the new Jersualem.

I've explained the difference between an active life, and purposed exercise. Being active is good for healthy living. Getting exercise helps a little, but is not necessary.
If someone wants to live as healthily as possible for as long as possible, it is necessary.

Godliness is profitable in this life, because it is moderation in all things, as well as active in daily affairs, both in business and in service to Christ.
Of course.

No Scripture ever speaks of Moses nor Jesus ever 'getting' exercise. They lived good by the law, and were active in daily life.
Which is not relevant, as I have explained.

Which is sufficient by an active daily life. Adding exercise to it is a little better, but not necessary.
Adding exercise is far better. One can significantly limit sarcopenia, at least until much older, if they maintain purposeful resistance training. Maintaining muscle mass helps to prevent falls or serious damage if one falls. It also helps maintain cognitive functioning and can help ameliorate the effects of diseases such as Alzheimers.

With all due respect, I don’t think you have looked very deeply into the benefits of exercise, whereas I have and do so regularly. As I stated before, many more people would exercise regularly if they actually knew just how beneficial it is. Most, it seems, are quite clueless.

Godly living with profit in the mountains, on the plain, on the sea, in the city, and in the new Jersualem.
Of course.

With all due respect, I don’t think you have looked very deeply into the benefits of exercise, whereas I have and do so regularly.
Having been in elite military units, construction contracts requiring great physical endurance and strength, and a personal trainer into older age, I'm not interested in your 'due respect'.

I am teaching on Christ's wisdom of physical health in this life by godliness that endures forever, where purposed bodily exercise helps a little. Which you've had nothing to say about.

Afteall, the thread is supposed to be what God says about it, not the science of resistance training.

I knew a marathon runner, that dropped dead during a run without warning. Go figure.

I believe they can be one and the same. Exercise builds the mind, and produces a more productive and stronger faith to harmful resistance.

Back