Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hating the Rapture

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Malachi

David Cloud of Way of Life Ministries has posted a very thought-provoking article on his website http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/hating_the_rapture.html. He ties in hating the Rapture with the emerging/emergent church movement, some of whose proponents are Brian McLaren, Mark Driscoll, Ed Stetzer, Dan Kimball and others of like mind, such as Tony Campolo.

The emergent church movement tries to incorporate mysticism, sacramentalism, and "Contextual Theology" into its practices, and promotes "engagement" (whatever that means) with the existing culture surrounding Christians. Basically, it is a movement away from Bible Christianty, and has been summed up nicely as follows (http://www.ericbarger.com/errors.emergent.htm):
To Emergents, Christianity is:
* Experience over Reason
* Images over Words
* Spirituality over Doctrine
* Subjective Feelings over Absolute Truth
* Earthly Justice over Salvation
* Social Action over Eternity

Today, it is even more critical than ever before, for believers to search the Scriptures daily, and seek the Holy Spirit's assistance and guidance into "all truth".
The Rapture is a solid Bible doctrine, and we need to hold fast to it, along with "the faith once delivered to the saints".

The title suggests this thread is about the rapture, but within it I see separate topics in their own right capable of long discussion, i.e. the six things listed there. Not sure what you want to elaborate on -- but I agree that this list is the way the church is going, no doubt. As for the rapture, unless I missed something, you do not mention the timing which seems to rile Christians more than its existence. When Christ returns again, those who are alive will meet him in the air, and we'll forever be with the Lord. That's pretty straightforward. The debates seems to center around when that occurs. Of course, those who do not believe in a literal second coming may deny such an event altogether, somehow spiritualizing it. But then they deny more than just the "rapture". It's most of eschatology.

The title suggests this thread is about the rapture, but within it I see separate topics in their own right capable of long discussion, i.e. the six things listed there. Not sure what you want to elaborate on -- but I agree that this list is the way the church is going, no doubt. As for the rapture, unless I missed something, you do not mention the timing which seems to rile Christians more than its existence. When Christ returns again, those who are alive will meet him in the air, and we'll forever be with the Lord. That's pretty straightforward. The debates seems to center around when that occurs. Of course, those who do not believe in a literal second coming may deny such an event altogether, somehow spiritualizing it. But then they deny more than just the "rapture". It's most of eschatology.
A very wise and reflective understanding. So refreshing amid our usual flood of reactive defensiveness.

David Cloud of Way of Life Ministries has posted a very thought-provoking article on his website http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/hating_the_rapture.html. He ties in hating the Rapture with the emerging/emergent church movement, some of whose proponents are Brian McLaren, Mark Driscoll, Ed Stetzer, Dan Kimball and others of like mind, such as Tony Campolo.

The emergent church movement tries to incorporate mysticism, sacramentalism, and "Contextual Theology" into its practices, and promotes "engagement" (whatever that means) with the existing culture surrounding Christians. Basically, it is a movement away from Bible Christianty, and has been summed up nicely as follows (http://www.ericbarger.com/errors.emergent.htm):
To Emergents, Christianity is:
* Experience over Reason
* Images over Words
* Spirituality over Doctrine
* Subjective Feelings over Absolute Truth
* Earthly Justice over Salvation
* Social Action over Eternity

Today, it is even more critical than ever before, for believers to search the Scriptures daily, and seek the Holy Spirit's assistance and guidance into "all truth".
The Rapture is a solid Bible doctrine, and we need to hold fast to it, along with "the faith once delivered to the saints".
I do have to say THAT explains a lot.

The first link is not working for me.

I surely can't support the emergent church movement as it has been characterized, but I do believe that 'rapture doctrine' has become a divisive quagmire of distraction within fundamental Christianity.

As Christians we should not "hate" anything.We should be tolerant of the other end time views.Put out there what you believe and then let it be.

As Christians we should not "hate" anything.We should be tolerant of the other end time views.Put out there what you believe and then let it be.
uhm I hate false doctrines that cause one to see hell. I don't like the lies of Mormonism to say the least and other faiths. so you don't hate islam?

Kathi,

With all due respect, you will not find any Scripture to support this conclusion of yours. We are commanded not to hate people, but we are commanded to hate sin, unrighteousness, false doctrine, false practice, and sinful associations. Christ hates iniquity (Heb 1:9).

The emergent church movement is doing serious damage to Bible Christianity, and so is every form of false Christianity. We are to hate their teachings: "But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate" (Rev 2:6).

The Lord commends the church at Ephesus for hating the deeds of the Nicolaitans. Not much is known about them, other than that they held to the "teaching of Balaam" which was idolatry, fornication, and licentiousness (Rev 2:14,15). They also ate things sacrificed to idols, and the name suggests that they desired to dominate ordinary believers.

Kathi,

With all due respect, you will not find any Scripture to support this conclusion of yours. We are commanded not to hate people, but we are commanded to hate sin, unrighteousness, false doctrine, false practice, and sinful associations. Christ hates iniquity (Heb 1:9).

The emergent church movement is doing serious damage to Bible Christianity, and so is every form of false Christianity. We are to hate their teachings: "But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate" (Rev 2:6).

The Lord commends the church at Ephesus for hating the deeds of the Nicolaitans. Not much is known about them, other than that they held to the "teaching of Balaam" which was idolatry, fornication, and licentiousness (Rev 2:14,15). They also ate things sacrificed to idols, and the name suggests that they desired to dominate ordinary believers.
Yes,we are to hate sin.But people use the word too freely.It is a strong word.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back