Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hello

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Randomly happened upon your forum in one of the evolution threads but I don't have permssion to post there. I was raised RC but now I do not believe in the existence of one or many gods. Given this I am an atheist. I took a look at the TOS and it looks pretty restrictive for atheists. I'd probably run afoul of it. Your mission statements are pretty clear. So this is probably a hi and goodbye.

Hi ExChristian. We've had and do have atheists and agnostics here. Thanks for reading the ToS and Mission Statement, Statement of Faith, Doctrinal Statement, etc. It's surprising how many people don't read those things even though they say the did and agree to them in order to join! (I know, I know, it's a lot of reading!!!) There is no problem with you being here at all, and our hope is that you might find a different version of Christianity than you may have learned about in the Roman Catholic church. Who knows, you may even find things you didn't know in the past that you agree with! Even if you don't, at least you will have more information to base your own personal decisions on.

Many times non-Christians will ask questions or make statements here (within the rules, of course) that stimulate us Christians to think through our beliefs and ask ourselves WHY we believe what we do. I think that's healthy! I've never liked the attitude of "I believe this just because this is what I've always believed and been told." I like to be able to know WHY I believe it based on scripture, not just what I've been told by other people. More times than not, it has been non-Christians who have stimulated me to research my beliefs and find out just why I hold to them (or sometimes to realize my belief was in error!) Stimulating someone to explain why they believe something is fine. Most people who get in trouble (Christians and non-Christians alike) get in trouble when they start going from asking "why...", to comments that accuse the poster of lying, being stupid, purposely holding to false beliefs, and other things that are considered personal attacks or belittling them. There is always a way to interact without these things.

We only ask that you remember this IS a Christian web site and being a private site we do restrict non-Christians from any comments intended to put down Christianity or intended to draw our Christian members away from their faith. We also watch for and remove disguised attempts to do this as well. But since you've read the ToS and understand it (thank you!!!), I can't see why you would have to say goodbye. Other non-Christians have done fine here and have been able to stay within the rules. I hope you will give us a chance.

Nice response. Well, being inquisitive and examining everything I've been told as a child were a major part of what caused me to drop religious beliefs. You mention that comments intended to draw your Christian members away from faith are restricted. I saw some posts by a member who was having doubts and "struggling with their faith" so to speak. As an example my responses to this person would be to encourage him/her to continue doubting their beliefs and that this is ok. That there can be psychologically excrusiating pain when one is in the process of doubting and losing closely held false beliefs that where instilled in childhood. With this I think I would run afoul of 1) the claiming of false beliefs and 2) drawing member away from faith. Am I correct here?

Hi ExChristian and welcome. I certainly agree with what Obadiah said above. I too am ex Catholic and found when challenged a much different presentation of God than I had ever heard. In any event I appreciate your truthfulness, and with no semblance of being a troll. I hope you'll stay around and learn what we have to offer, and we're not the only ones that care for you.

:wave2

Hi ExChristian and welcome. I certainly agree with what Obadiah said above. I too am ex Catholic and found when challenged a much different presentation of God than I had ever heard. In any event I appreciate your truthfulness, and with no semblance of being a troll. I hope you'll stay around and learn what we have to offer, and we're not the only ones that care for you.
:wave2
I'm sure you'll agree though that an experienced troll would leave no trail of semblance. :) I've never been part of any religion forums where I participate heavily but to be direct about my intentions - I am not a "seeker" so there isn't anything to offer me from any theistic belief system. So my presence would probably be one of sowing doubt, which I don't think you guys want. But Obadiah did express a like for scepticism.

Hi ExChristian welcome aboard.. :)

ExChristian said:
I saw some posts by a member who was having doubts and "struggling with their faith" so to speak. As an example my responses to this person would be to encourage him/her to continue doubting their beliefs and that this is ok

Absolutely not..

tob

Welcome to you friend. I think you'll be ok asking questions here and so forth, just keep it in the spirit of peace. Our board is pretty darn forgiving and pleasant with regard to the members. While there's always an exception or two, this board is not really like your typical hostile Christians, so you should be received with more love than hostility.

Let me apologize to you for you having been treated poorly by the church in your past. We're not all like that. :wave

I'm sure you'll agree though that an experienced troll would leave no trail of semblance. :) I've never been part of any religion forums where I participate heavily but to be direct about my intentions - I am not a "seeker" so there isn't anything to offer me from any theistic belief system. So my presence would probably be one of sowing doubt, which I don't think you guys want. But Obadiah did express a like for scepticism.

Welcome to CF! :wave

It's OK to be a non-seeker, and skeptical. We just ask respect for our faith while you're here.

Nice response. Well, being inquisitive and examining everything I've been told as a child were a major part of what caused me to drop religious beliefs. You mention that comments intended to draw your Christian members away from faith are restricted. I saw some posts by a member who was having doubts and "struggling with their faith" so to speak. As an example my responses to this person would be to encourage him/her to continue doubting their beliefs and that this is ok. That there can be psychologically excrusiating pain when one is in the process of doubting and losing closely held false beliefs that where instilled in childhood. With this I think I would run afoul of 1) the claiming of false beliefs and 2) drawing member away from faith. Am I correct here?
Of course you would say that because you are an athiest.We as Christians belong to God.Those as Athiests belong to Satan so that seems like an appropriate statement with kind of a mindset.

I thought I should mention why I wanted to post in the "evolution is a lie" thread. The op posted a video with a pastor misusing the word "theory". Many of you probably are aware but it has opposite meanings depending on context. Layman's = a guess, hunch. Scientific = an explanation for facts observed and/or infered.

I thought I should mention why I wanted to post in the "evolution is a lie" thread. The op posted a video with a pastor misusing the word "theory". Many of you probably are aware but it has opposite meanings depending on context. Layman's = a guess, hunch. Scientific = an explanation for facts observed and/or infered.

Yeah, if we speculate, we're guessing, but if a scientist speculates, then it's "theory" lol. :lol

To give you an honest answer to your question, the way you have worded what your responses would be to this situation, yes, you are correct. If it was in a forum that I am assigned to moderate, that would probably get your post deleted and a warning sent to you not to do that. Each case is decided on an individual basis and the actions can be influenced by the counsel of other moderators, complaints from other members if any, and even the way the moderator doing the action interprets what you said or believes others will interpret it. Although we allow non-Christians to be members if they are willing to follow the rules, we are primarily a Christian forum.

It's amazing how many explanations for "facts observed and/or inferred" now belong on the trash heap of history.

The holders of every belief system, including atheism, go through periods of questioning and doubt. For Christians, it usually does not lead to a loss of faith, it leads to a more mature and deepened faith. St. John of the Cross explains this as the dark night of the soul.

Last edited:
The holders of very belief system, including atheism, go through periods of questioning and doubt. For Christians, it usually does not lead to a loss of faith, it leads to a more mature and deepened faith. St. John of the Cross explains this as the dark night of the soul.
I'm glad you bring that up as that is what happened to me. It looks to be simply be a bomerang stage in the shedding of the beliefs. Most will remain here if it happens but for me this new and more mature faith also eventually fell.

I'm glad you bring that up as that is what happened to me. It looks to be simply be a bomerang stage in the shedding of the beliefs. Most will remain here if it happens but for me this new and more mature faith also eventually fell.
I am sorry :neutral

I'm sorry to hear that too. I can only hope that you won't close your mind to things you may not have considered in the past or assume you have already heard it all and seen it all before you made your decisions. No one has heard or seen it all. As long as we live we still learn new things and change our views, as long as we stay reasonably open minded.

It's amazing how many explanations for "facts observed and/or inferred" now belong on the trash heap of history.
It's the way science works. It's not a weakness of scientific inquiry to have explanations/theories that where overturned. They almost always overturned by a more in-depth understanding and what is left is an improved explanation with greater predictive power.

The computer you are using to post is only possible because individuals accepted scientific theories - and acted on them. For example, theory of electromagneticsm was needed to be accepted to progress computers. Currently, quantum theories are being utilized to make computer chips smaller and smaller and to understand the limits of what is possible. Quantum theory is on the forefront of what will be possible in future progress - such as nanotechnology.

I'm sorry to hear that too. I can only hope that you won't close your mind to things you may not have considered in the past or assume you have already heard it all and seen it all before you made your decisions. No one has heard or seen it all. As long as we live we still learn new things and change our views, as long as we stay reasonably open minded.
I do have a sense that "i've seen and heard it all" regarding religious belief but I do try to cultivate humbleness as my ability to understand certainly is falible. In this sense my lack of belief in a deity can be changed but it would have to be evidence based and not faith based. One thing that I always disliked about the story of doubting Thomas is that he got a bad rap for doubting. I felt affinity with him not an aversion to him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back