Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Help needed - epiphany bible study

D

dancing queen

During our Sunday service I am running a bible study. The topic of the service is epiphany/coming of wise men/their gifts/our gifts to the Lord/storing your treasure in Heaven.

Any ideas for bible study type questions around these topics that could be discussed in small group would be much appreciated.

Help needed--Epiphany bible study

Well, DQ, all I can comment about is from the Biblical account and logic.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, exactly.

From Matthew chapt. 2: After Jesus was born in Bethlehem, wise men (magi--but not "kings") came from the east to Jerusalem, asking everybody, no doubt, 'Where is he that is born King of the Jews?'

Herod, the Roman king of Judea at that time, when he heard these things, was troubled, and sent for all the chief priests and scribes, demanding of them where the Christ (Messiah) should be born.

The priests and scribes could quote the verse, but notice, nothing is said that they also wanted to worship Him. They had head knowledge, but no hearts desire to go to Bethlehem.

I'll pause here to say, there obviously were a lot more than three magi. To be traveling almost two years from far off Persia, they would have had a large caravan, causing quite a stir in Jerusalem.

Herod spoke privately to the magi, enquiring when the star had appeared. Obviously he must have learned the time of the star's appearing, for he sent them to Bethlehem.

Obviously, once they reached Jerusalem, the star disappeared. Then, once they knew to go to Bethlehem and search for the young child, the star reappeared, to their exceeding great joy. The star then guided them to the house where Jesus, as a young child, was with Mary his mother.

NOTICE: Jesus is a young child, and He and Mary are in a house.

The magi presented Him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Gold, of course represents royalty; frankincense is a perfume or incense, which represents the prayers of the people; and myrrh, is used for embalming, and perhaps, prophecying of his coming death.

The magi after worshipping Jesus, were warned in a dream to not return to Herod, but to depart to their own country by a different way.

I hope this helps. Bick

Back