Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Holy Spirit

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
You will not find the word Trinity in any Bible, but according to the American Heritage Dictionary it means a group consisting of three closely related members. Trinity, the union of three divine figures, the Father, Son (Jesus) and the Holy Ghost in one Godhead.

(This is not about the Trinity so please do not go there or you will be reported, thank you)

Jesus is part of the Godhead and before he ascended to Heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father to make intercession for us he promised his disciples that he would send another comforter that would teach them all things and bring those things back to their remembrance.

Why doesn’t God speak to us the same way he did to his prophets in the Old Testament days? Gods’ spirit spoke to many prophets throughout the Old Testament through pillars of clouds a burning bush a donkey or spoke with visions through dreams. Many fill that God is completely silent and does not speak anymore, but this is wrong as Gods Spirit speaks to us now through his written word as his Spirit inspired those disciples of long ago to write down their witness of the teachings of God.

Those disciples walked with Jesus having a firsthand account of his teachings, but yet had no understanding other than knowing that Jesus was truly sent from God as signs and wonders followed him for confirmation that he truly was of God as no man could do the things Jesus did apart from God. We too have seen those very same signs and wonders that have touched other people’s lives by the Holy Spirit working through others as a witness and testimony of Gods mercy and grace.

God is very much alive and active in our lives today and still speaks to us through his prophets which are his disciples who have given us their accounts of walking with Jesus and being inspired by the Holy Spirit to write their individual accounts so we might also come into that same adoption through baptism of the Holy Spirit to have the mind of Christ for understanding that brings knowledge of the truths of Gods word so we can rightly divide the word of truth.

Romans 8:6-7; Acts 1:1-8; 2:1-4; 2:38-39; Matthew 3:11; John 14:26

God is very much alive and active in our lives today

He is - for some. Many born-again believers, not knowing how to walk properly with God, have little-to-no experience of the life and work of the Holy Spirit. What seems to have happened - within the Church in North America, at least - is that Christians have become widely polarized about "life in the Spirit." Generally, they occupy either the hyper-charismatic camp where the Spirit is constantly blasphemed as all sorts of pagan-ish and demonic "experiences" are ascribed to him, or "life in the Spirit" is reduced to an institutional, academic and impersonal thing, where the believer "experiences" God only through the hierarchies, doctrines and rituals of the institutionalized Church.

But what does God's word say should be the Christian's daily experience of God, the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19; Acts 5:3-4, 1 Corinthians 2:10-11), the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9)? Well, the Bible says the Holy Spirit will do, at least, the following to every child of God walking consistently in loving, humble submission to him:

Conviction - John 16:8, Revelation 2-3.
Illumination - John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16.
Strengthening - Philippians 2:13; Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13; Philippians 6:10.
Comfort - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.
Transformation - 2 Corinthians 3:18; Galatians 5:22-23.

All of these things, if they are of the Spirit, will have the distinct and peculiar "stamp" of the Spirit upon them so that they can't be mistaken for, or confused with, mere religious Self-effort. Sadly, very few Christians that I know personally have any clear idea of what the "stamp" of the Spirit looks like, biblically, and so are constantly confusing their own Self-effort for the life and work of the Spirit. But from Self-effort only comes Self, not the life of the Spirit. And so, as the Church in North America continues to operate under a very confused and unbiblical conception of life in the Spirit, it continues to reflect more and more of the Self, of the flesh, really, cloaked in religious activity and language, becoming increasingly carnal, and compromised, and impotent.

He is - for some. Many born-again believers, not knowing how to walk properly with God, have little-to-no experience of the life and work of the Holy Spirit. What seems to have happened - within the Church in North America, at least - is that Christians have become widely polarized about "life in the Spirit." Generally, they occupy either the hyper-charismatic camp where the Spirit is constantly blasphemed as all sorts of pagan-ish and demonic "experiences" are ascribed to him, or "life in the Spirit" is reduced to an institutional, academic and impersonal thing, where the believer "experiences" God only through the hierarchies, doctrines and rituals of the institutionalized Church.

But what does God's word say should be the Christian's daily experience of God, the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19; Acts 5:3-4, 1 Corinthians 2:10-11), the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9)? Well, the Bible says the Holy Spirit will do, at least, the following to every child of God walking consistently in loving, humble submission to him:

Conviction - John 16:8, Revelation 2-3.
Illumination - John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16.
Strengthening - Philippians 2:13; Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13; Philippians 6:10.
Comfort - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4.
Transformation - 2 Corinthians 3:18; Galatians 5:22-23.

All of these things, if they are of the Spirit, will have the distinct and peculiar "stamp" of the Spirit upon them so that they can't be mistaken for, or confused with, mere religious Self-effort. Sadly, very few Christians that I know personally have any clear idea of what the "stamp" of the Spirit looks like, biblically, and so are constantly confusing their own Self-effort for the life and work of the Spirit. But from Self-effort only comes Self, not the life of the Spirit. And so, as the Church in North America continues to operate under a very confused and unbiblical conception of life in the Spirit, it continues to reflect more and more of the Self, of the flesh, really, cloaked in religious activity and language, becoming increasingly carnal, and compromised, and impotent.
Did any of us start out with full knowledge, no, as soon as we received Jesus as our Lord and Savior we also received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit even though we knew nothing about the Holy Spirit until we were taught. John 3:5-7; Acts 2; Acts 19:1-7

Did any of us start out with full knowledge, no, as soon as we received Jesus as our Lord and Savior we also received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit even though we knew nothing about the Holy Spirit until we were taught. John 3:5-7; Acts 2; Acts 19:1-7

Yup. Sadly, terribly, many Christians today remain in this state permanently, thinking all the while that they're living the Christian life and are enjoying God - or not - as much as is possible this side of grave. It's to prevent this very state-of-affairs that I work in the area of discipleship as I do.

Yup. Sadly, terribly, many Christians today remain in this state permanently, thinking all the while that they're living the Christian life and are enjoying God - or not - as much as is possible this side of grave. It's to prevent this very state-of-affairs that I work in the area of discipleship as I do.
Who are we to say these Christians are not enjoying God as they walk in love towards everyone. If one dies shortly after accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior does this make themselves less a Christian then those who have/are maturing in the word of God, no. A great example is the thief on the cross who believed at the last moment and Jesus told Him today you will be with me in paradise.

Who are we to say these Christians are not enjoying God as they walk in love towards everyone.

They can't be - not well, anyway - according to Scripture. Any believer who doesn't know to walk in the Spirit daily, or how, can only be walking in the flesh. And doing so always entails being carnal and in a rebel state. There is no true enjoyment of God in this condition.

If one dies shortly after accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior does this make themselves less a Christian then those who have/are maturing in the word of God, no.

Not less of a Christian, no, but absolutely they have far less experience, and thus understanding, of God (this side of the grave). Certainly, they had no chance to enjoy God in the way God says in His word His children may do when they live as He directs them to do in His word. This is the blessing, the reward, if you like, of walking well with God which no spiritually-immature believer can have.

They can't be - not well, anyway - according to Scripture.
According to what scripture are you speaking of?

This would only be your own opinion as like I said, once one is Spiritually born again after hearing the word of God they are also indwelled with the Holy Spirit. The key part is the hearing of the word as faith comes by hearing the word being preached to you. Those who have repented and accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior are as much a child of God as anyone else who have accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Act 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
Act 19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

According to what scripture are you speaking of?

What verses indicate how a Christian enjoys God well? There are two kinds of verses that do this:

1.) Verses that tell us what interferes with enjoying God well.
2.) Verses that tell us what enables enjoying God well.

What interferes with enjoying God well?

Sin (Psalms 66:18; Isaiah 59:1-2; 1 Peter 3:12).
Ignorance/spiritual immaturity (Romans 10:3; 2 Peter 3:16; Hebrews 5:11-14).
False conversion (Hebrews 6:4-8; Titus 1:15-16).

What enables unhindered, full enjoyment of God?

Knowledge of God's Truth (Psalms 1; Matthew 4:4; 1 Peter 2:2; 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
Faith in God and His Truth (Hebrews 11:6; 2 Corinthians 5:7)
Love of God (Matthew 22:36-38; 1 Corinthians 13:1-3)
Holiness (Hebrews 12:14b; 2 Corinthians 6:14-18; Psalms 92:12; Psalms 34:15-17).
Submission to God (Romans 12:1; Romans 6:13-18; James 4:7-10).

This would only be your own opinion as like I said, once one is Spiritually born again after hearing the word of God they are also indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

I never said that they weren't. But being indwelt by the Holy Spirit when one trusts in Christ as Savior and Lord does not automatically mean one is enjoying God in daily fellowship.

Those who have repented and accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior are as much a child of God as anyone else who have accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

I never indicated otherwise. Please re-read the last paragraph of my last post to you.

This is why it is so important to include the teaching of the indwelling Holy Spirit along with the teaching of being Spiritually born again, which many Pastors do not include. It was years after I accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior that I ever heard about the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

This is why it is so important to include the teaching of the indwelling Holy Spirit along with the teaching of being Spiritually born again, which many Pastors do not include. It was years after I accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior that I ever heard about the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

I think many pastors are afraid to wade into the matter of "life in the Spirit" because of the hyper-polarized ideas that there are in the Church about what the activity of the Spirit is in the life of a born-again believer.

I think many pastors are afraid to wade into the matter of "life in the Spirit" because of the hyper-polarized ideas that there are in the Church about what the activity of the Spirit is in the life of a born-again believer.
I feel it's because many Pastors do not have a clue about the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and that is sad.

Back