Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How Can We Be Sure?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

st_worm2

2024 Supporter
Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize
this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?

2 Corinthians 13:5

Greetings everyone, many long to have the assurance that they are truly saved, and the Bible commands us to examine ourselves to make sure that we are. The question that I have for this thread is, how do we do that 🤔 What "tests" do we use to that end (to prove to ourselves and/or to others that what we claim and believe about our salvation is actually true, that our faith is genuine) 🤔

Please tell us what you do personally to "test yourself" (and to thereby have the assurance that your salvation is real/that God has truly saved you).

One of the places that I turn to for this is Paul's Letter to the Galatians, Chapter 5, because there are two lists of character traits found there that can be useful in this process (one, "the deeds of the flesh", and two, "the fruit of the Spirit"). My thought is this, that if one has truly become a believer, his/her life should begin to be demonstrate and be defined by (more and more) the character traits that we find in list #2 ("the fruit of the Spirit") and, at the same time, less and less by the character traits that we find in list #1 ("the deeds of the flesh"). Here is the passage that contains those lists.

Galatians 5
19 The deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Thoughts about this 🤔

Also, what is another "test" that you have found to be useful in proving that you really are who you claim and believe yourself to be 🤔

Thanks 😊

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - here's another thought about something to look for in our walk before Him, this time from theologian and pastor, A. W. Pink.

Pink - Grieving Over Sin.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday 4-6-24 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Adar II Day 26 5784 19th. Day of Spring

2 Corinthians 5

New International Version

Awaiting the New Body​

5 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3 because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
6 Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7 For we live by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9 So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

The Ministry of Reconciliation​

11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. 12 We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. 13 If we are “out of our mind,” as some say, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[b] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Footnotes​

1. 2 Corinthians 5:17 Or Christ, that person is a new creation.
  2. 2 Corinthians 5:21 Or be a sin offering

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
Hello Walter and Debbie (WalterandDebbie), I had forgotten about making this thread last year, so first off, thank you for finding it and posting to it :woot

That passage from 2 Corinthians, though not a typical go-to passage for assurance (and practical ways of obtaining it regularly/personally), does have a lot to say to us about assurance nevertheless :amen

For instance, do we such deep affection for the Lord that we long to leave our earthly tent to be with Him/to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, instead 🤔 Have we truly been given the One who is our deposit and guarantee of what is to come, the indwelling Holy Spirit who testifies with our spirit that we are indeed, the adopted children of God 🤔 Are we (as you pointed out for us in bold type) truly new creatures/a new creation of His, truly made anew as, His masterpiece .. Ephesians 2:10a 🤔 .. and much more 🙂).

Thanks again for posting, and if you have any additional thoughts about assurance, especially about those practical things/ways that give us the assurance that we are really and truly His, please don't hesitate to post them 😊

God bless you!!

--David

Ephesians 2
10 We are His workmanship (masterpiece), created in Christ Jesus for/unto good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Last edited:
Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize
this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?

Greetings everyone, many long to have the assurance that they are truly saved, and the Bible commands us to examine ourselves to make sure that we are. The question that I have for this thread is, how do we do that 🤔 What "tests" do we use to that end (to prove to ourselves and/or to others that what we claim and believe about our salvation is actually true, that our faith is genuine) 🤔

Please tell us what you do personally to "test yourself" (and to thereby have the assurance that your salvation is real/that God has truly saved you).

One of the places that I turn to for this is Paul's Letter to the Galatians, Chapter 5, because there are two lists of character traits found there that can be useful in this process (one, "the deeds of the flesh", and two, "the fruit of the Spirit"). My thought is this, that if one has truly become a believer, his/her life should begin to be demonstrate and be defined by (more and more) the character traits that we find in list #2 ("the fruit of the Spirit") and, at the same time, less and less by the character traits that we find in list #1 ("the deeds of the flesh"). Here is the passage that contains those lists.

Galatians 5
19 The deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Thoughts about this 🤔

Also, what is another "test" that you have found to be useful in proving that you really are who you claim and believe yourself to be 🤔

Thanks 😊

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - here's another thought about something to look for in our walk before Him, this time from theologian and pastor, A. W. Pink.

[How Can We Be Sure?]

2 Cor.13:5: IMO, Paul held them to be Christians, but asked them—who were in fact examining him—to examine their own lifestyle, ie walk in the faith (2 Cor.13:2-3; 2:9; 1 Cor.5:12). He hoped that in seeing that because they themselves did not fail the test by being totally pagan, they’d see that he and his colleagues had not failed in their evangelistic and pastoral duties (2 Cor.13:6; 12:20-1), and more importantly that he wouldn’t need to impose heavy authority on them: heavy shepherding for heavy sheep (2 Cor.13:7-10). By reading his letters they could see the Christian way to live, and test themselves accordingly. They’d see that they had started the way, had a long way to go in transformation, and had a duty of transformation.

In short it looks to me that he was granting them to be Christians who needed to repent to the chief shepherd and heed the undershepherds. I don’t think it’s about whether they were Christians, or whether they’d get to heaven.

Galatians 5

Thoughts about this 🤔

Thanks 😊

God bless you!!

--David

This could all be summed up in one statement Jesus made: "by their fruit you shall know them." What He's talking about is that the words and deeds of a person shows where they are coming from: "a tree is known by its fruit." It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this applies to each of us, and we should be evaluating ourselves according to what we say and do. Conscience is an instant evaluator, if we have ears to hear what comes out of our mouth, and if we have eyes to see what we just did.

Then, whenever a Christian sees that his words and deeds don't measure up to Jesus' commands, two questions are begged: should I ask God to forgive my shortcomings, and should I ask Him for the power to do better?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back