Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

How do you know when to stop praying for loved one deliverance?

Ellabea

I’m dealing with a loved one who’s been suffering from addiction for years. I’ve prayed for them over the years cried given up prayed some more wanted to ditch them but God said to stay so I started incorporating fasting praying more harder that I even received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and I started praying for them in tongues as well.

The thing happening: My prayers in the spirit for them usually when I start praying in the spirit I start breaking down crying and just moan to God I don’t know what I’m saying and it’s definitely not me crying I’ve cried so much on the matter I’ve got no tears left this only happens when I pray in the spirit for them.

Anyways lately whenever I try to pray for them in the spirit I pray for a little while there’s no more groaning and crying but then it stops. So I restart same thing goes for a little while then stops. So I’ve been asking God why won’t my spirit keep praying then I think does this mean it’s over? I haven’t gotten a call or anything but then again how do you know when addiction is gone for good? I received the prayer in tongue because I was begging God for it I was telling him I have nothing left to say on my situation and dont know what to pray for anymore and one day I received the gift… anyways I’m just confused for anyone who prays in tongues does it ever happen when you’re interceding for someone it goes then stops for a while?

Also how do you know when to stop praying for deliverance? Another thing that was put in my spirit is that God was going to bring permanent deliverance I know that for sure I just don’t know when.

I know there’s a lot going on but it’s all led to the question above overall how do you know when to stop praying for deliverance for a loved one because God has answered? Thank you.

I’m dealing with a loved one who’s been suffering from addiction for years. I’ve prayed for them over the years cried given up prayed some more wanted to ditch them but God said to stay so I started incorporating fasting praying more harder that I even received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and I started praying for them in tongues as well.

The thing happening: My prayers in the spirit for them usually when I start praying in the spirit I start breaking down crying and just moan to God I don’t know what I’m saying and it’s definitely not me crying I’ve cried so much on the matter I’ve got no tears left this only happens when I pray in the spirit for them.

Anyways lately whenever I try to pray for them in the spirit I pray for a little while there’s no more groaning and crying but then it stops. So I restart same thing goes for a little while then stops. So I’ve been asking God why won’t my spirit keep praying then I think does this mean it’s over? I haven’t gotten a call or anything but then again how do you know when addiction is gone for good? I received the prayer in tongue because I was begging God for it I was telling him I have nothing left to say on my situation and dont know what to pray for anymore and one day I received the gift… anyways I’m just confused for anyone who prays in tongues does it ever happen when you’re interceding for someone it goes then stops for a while?

Also how do you know when to stop praying for deliverance? Another thing that was put in my spirit is that God was going to bring permanent deliverance I know that for sure I just don’t know when.

I know there’s a lot going on but it’s all led to the question above overall how do you know when to stop praying for deliverance for a loved one because God has answered? Thank you.

Wow.

Well, in answer to your first question, I would honestly say that if the Spirit Himself is no longer interceding as He once was, it likely means He knows there's nothing more to be praying right now - that circumstances are currently fixed in place, and that God the Father already fully knows your heart on the matter, and the Spirit has said all that needs to be said. The Spirit thus also likely knows that all things are now waiting on certain events that will finally bring about the change.

You see, some issues can be exceedingly complex to solve. There is also the matter of God working out a person's deliverance in keeping with other events that will happen in their lives, so that they get delivered at a time when they will fully appreciate what God has done for them, and thus be fully willing to accept His will in other areas of their lives where He has additional plans.

It can all be much more involved and complex than we realize, but God knows what He is doing. Trust that He will work all things out according to His plan, and in His timing, not ours.

God bless, and welcome to CF.net. I hope you enjoy being a member here.

Wow.

Well, in answer to your first question, I would honestly say that if the Spirit Himself is no longer interceding as He once was, it likely means He knows there's nothing more to be praying right now - that circumstances are currently fixed in place, and that God the Father already fully knows your heart on the matter, and the Spirit has said all that needs to be said. The Spirit thus also likely knows that all things are now waiting on certain events that will finally bring about the change.

You see, some issues can be exceedingly complex to solve. There is also the matter of God working out a person's deliverance in keeping with other events that will happen in their lives, so that they get delivered at a time when they will fully appreciate what God has done for them, and thus be fully willing to accept His will in other areas of their lives where He has additional plans.

It can all be much more involved and complex than we realize, but God knows what He is doing. Trust that He will work all things out according to His plan, and in His timing, not ours.

God bless, and welcome to CF.net. I hope you enjoy being a member here.
Wow thank you so much; what a kind and thoughtful response I did not expect that at all also not sure how you knew I’m new here but I was expecting a totally “you’re crazy for speaking in weird languages get outta here loser….” Idk. But wow thank you for your kindness first impression definitely make it all better I thought I was gonna have to quit this thing after the first answer 😂

Back to topic if you don’t mind, what do I do now spiritually for this loved one we’re currently not physically together. Do I still pray and such? ignore them? I really have to ask God what’s going on I’ll let you know if he gives me an answer

I was expecting a totally “you’re crazy for speaking in weird languages get outta here loser….” Idk.

LoL. All depends on who you talk to. :)
Back to topic if you don’t mind, what do I do now spiritually for this loved one we’re currently not physically together. Do I still pray and such? ignore them? I really have to ask God what’s going on I’ll let you know if he gives me an answer

Yes, sounds like you need wisdom.

Do you believe in receiving answers through dreams? That would be the easiest way to receive an answer IMO, and I could help you with interpretation if you needed it.

You could also receive word through a prophet, but that would depend on if many of the real ones are circulating through your church or region or not.

Derek Prince and others who deal
in deliverance as well as the gospels, don’t ever talk about praying for deliverance for someone who doesn’t want it if that capacity is there. The adult subject needs to want it and want it badly or it won’t last. Second, I cannot recall Jesus praying “for deliverance” but rebuked the enemy to his face. That’s what those in deliverance do that I’ve seen.

I assume you want the person saved not just delivered from an addiction that makes them unhappy. My suggestion is to pray God speak to them, reach them, show them their sin.

Now I agree you need a Word from God to stand on and thee best way is to ask God to speak to you as to what you should do. It is much superior to dreams as they actually might need to be interpreted they are so lacking in communication properties. These days modern “prophets” will just tell you what you want to hear cause they get a thrill out of pleasing you and seeing your joy. Doesn’t need to be true. I’m doubtful of that route.

Your loved one needs to want deliverance.You need to hear the Lord’s instructions and obey.

It is much superior to dreams as they actually might need to be interpreted they are so lacking in communication properties.

Hey! LoL.

I find that God speaks to most people in dreams, even the unsaved on occasion. I don't generally find God speaks to people audibly or even through the still small voice all that often. Certainly they may get a certain leading, but that's not the same as a prophetic word, and they most commonly come through dreams and/ or visions.

Last edited:
Hey! LoL.

I find that God speaks to most people in dreams, even the unsaved on occasion. I don't generally find God speaks to people audibly or even through the still, small voice all that often. Certainly they may get a certain leading, but that's not the same as a prophetic word, and they most commonly come through dreams and/ or visions.
And I find that most people hear a still small voice if they hear at all. But most people are fairly deaf when it comes to hearing God in any case. Now what?

Dreams from God are rare in the Bible. One can count them on one hand but words spoken are more common to include whole conversations back and forth.

Certainly one can understand why. A man likes to talk to his friends in words, not pictures while they sleep.

Dreams from God are rare in the Bible. One can count them on one hand but words spoken are more common to include whole conversations back and forth.

Certainly one can understand why. A man likes to talk to his friends in words, not pictures while they sleep.

I can't copy and paste right now or I would, but Job 33:14-17 seems to suggest that dreams have since ancient times been a means by which God speaks to all men, though not all men listen (v.14). Certainly the common man often goes astray, and many succumb to pride, and these are what v.17 is talking about. I think it's why so many have bad dreams and nightmares. Though the reality may not be quite as bad as the dream implies, God is trying to get their attention and most refuse to listen, thinking it's just a dream.

I can't copy and paste right now or I would, but Job 33:14-17 seems to suggest that dreams have since ancient times been a means by which God speaks to all men, though not all men listen (v.14). Certainly the common man often goes astray, and many succumb to pride, and these are what v.17 is talking about. I think it's why so many have bad dreams and nightmares. Though the reality may not be quite as bad as the dream implies, God is trying to get their attention and most refuse to listen, thinking it's just a dream.
Nevertheless, men who recorded dreams from God are rare and just above never personal with few exceptions. The general method is speaking God to man in words and conversations that can quoted verbatim with no middle man interpreting the communication.

Hard to have a relationship with Someone who can’t talk to you directly but requires an interpreter.

Nevertheless, men who recorded dreams from God are rare and just above never personal with few exceptions. The general method is speaking God to man in words and conversations that can quotes verbatim with no middle man interpreting the communication.

Well actually I don't favor a middle man at all. I favor believers being close enough to God that they can interpret for themselves. This is the stronger Biblical model, but then the Bible generally doesn't focus on those who are spiritually immature either.

But clearly there were times when those who were not close to God had to be interpreted for. As for hearing God speak, I trust dreams that I have very clearly seen more than still small words that I'm not sure if I've heard or not. I have heard Him audibly a few times, but the still small voice is not something I can generally trust. But Job 33:14 does say that He speaks to some in one way and some another, so I suppose it pays to keep all options open.

Well actually I don't favor a middle man at all.
I agree.
I favor believers being close enough to God that they can interpret for themselves. This is the stronger Biblical model, but then the Bible generally doesn't focus on those who are spiritually immature either.
Who interpreted their own dream about themselves in the Bible? Some apostles were told in a dream to go to xzy, but that’s not a dream that needs interpretation. “Go here” or “don’t go there” doesn’t need interpretation.
But clearly there were times when those who were not close to God had to be interpreted for.
Like who?
As for hearing God speak, I trust dreams that I have very clearly seen more than still small words that I'm not sure if I've heard or not. I have heard Him audibly a few times, but the still small voice is not something I can generally trust. But Job 33:14 does say that He speaks to some in one way and some another, so I suppose it pays to keep all options open.
Well Job personally had an extremely long and detailed discussion with God and was given no dreams whatsoever so that’s not a good source for your position. You have to take one “mouse” verse and ignore the “elephant” of whole chapters where God conversed with Job directly.

LoL. All depends on who you talk to. :)

Yes, sounds like you need wisdom.

Do you believe in receiving answers through dreams? That would be the easiest way to receive an answer IMO, and I could help you with interpretation if you needed it.

You could also receive word through a prophet, but that would depend on if many of the real ones are circulating through your church or region or not.
My kid was so sick last night kept me all night I hardly slept enough to dream. But I did ask God before bed to let me know what I’m supposed to do and this morning I woke up with Colossians 4:2 plastered on my front screen. Which says continue in prayer and watch with thanksgiving! That’s either God or my bible app spying on me 😂

Derek Prince and others who deal
in deliverance as well as the gospels, don’t ever talk about praying for deliverance for someone who doesn’t want it if that capacity is there. The adult subject needs to want it and want it badly or it won’t last. Second, I cannot recall Jesus praying “for deliverance” but rebuked the enemy to his face. That’s what those in deliverance do that I’ve seen.

I assume you want the person saved not just delivered from an addiction that makes them unhappy. My suggestion is to pray God speak to them, reach them, show them their sin.

Now I agree you need a Word from God to stand on and thee best way is to ask God to speak to you as to what you should do. It is much superior to dreams as they actually might need to be interpreted they are so lacking in communication properties. These days modern “prophets” will just tell you what you want to hear cause they get a thrill out of pleasing you and seeing your joy. Doesn’t need to be true. I’m doubtful of that route.

Your loved one needs to want deliverance.You need to hear the Lord’s instructions and obey.
Their spirit is willing but their flesh is weak still. They’ve been open about it prayed and fasted for it and sought out counseling even they’re good for a while then return I’m just wanting permanent deliverance now.

We certainly can pray for others maam, but God will not force anyone to serve Him. Each individual must draw close to God, for Him to draw close to Him. I assume the individual you are praying for is addicted to drugs. Best we can do is try to reason, but most of them have to hit rock bottom, and only a few make it. Love and encouragement might move the individual to accept help, pray to God that something you do or say might reach their heart. Be there for them in any way you can, but realize to accept God's provisions, they have to be willing.

I understand and wish I could help more, but we are very limited in what we can do. But we can love them, and that is certainly the key.

Another thing that was put in my spirit is that God was going to bring permanent deliverance I know that for sure I just don’t know when.
I think this is the answer right here in what you said . Your prayers have been answered but they are being answered on God's timing . God has His time frame on how things carry on in this world . Continue with your normal praying in the Spirit and otherwise , the Holy Spirit should lead you in how you are to pray . You are in my prayers :pray Ellabea .

Their spirit is willing but their flesh is weak still. They’ve been open about it prayed and fasted for it and sought out counseling even they’re good for a while then return I’m just wanting permanent deliverance now.
Then it’s complicated. There might be a reason the Enemy has a hold on them. Probably would take some longer discussions to see where the hang up is. There are some choices whereby the Enemy all but owns a man.

Last edited:
I think this is the answer right here in what you said . Your prayers have been answered but they are being answered on God's timing . God has His time frame on how things carry on in this world . Continue with your normal praying in the Spirit and otherwise , the Holy Spirit should lead you in how you are to pray . You are in my prayers :pray Ellabea .
Thank you so much. 🙏 it’s been so long since I spoke with genuinely kind Christians whom it’s evident (by their conduct) that Jesus is their Lord.

Back