Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How Does An Individual Determine God's Calling?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I am curious. Sometimes I have a lot of different thoughts in my head. Not sure if these thoughts are from The Holy Spirit or something else.

How does an individual determine whether it is God's calling or just a random thought?

Is there a difference between God's calling and God telling you to do a minor task? Would God tell you to do something very small?

Are there consequences if an individual delays it? Or as long as it gets done? Or what if the individual was just unsure or is afraid of doing it? What if it never gets done?

I remember my pastor said, if you don't listen to God's calling, God will just move onto someone else.

Anyways, a lot of questions. Hope someone can chime in, thanks!

GuitarIntro,

You have asked a wise and pertinent question.

Many would offer that you MUST allow the 'church' to offer such determination. While this is a possilbe 'other source', it is OUR individual responsibility to BE ABLE to discern 'that voice' ourselves. For even the discernment of 'True Church' from 'churches' can ONLY be discerned by THE INDIVIDUAL.

If we take it as a 'given' that one has 'already come to Christ and HIs Father, the FIRST 'thing' that one NEEDS to DO is to become familiar WITH The Word. Through reading and prayer we become FAMILIAR with God through The Spirit. This IS how we receive nourishment and HOW we are ABLE to 'grow in The Lord.

Only when we are ABLE to KNOW God's will are we able to FOLLOW IT. And we MUST be 'able' to discern that which is offered from ABOVE from that which can and WILL BE offered from 'other sources'. That which IS righteous and true IS from above and that is NOT always an EASY thing to discern WITHOUT the guidance of The Spirit.

Beware of placing one's FAITH in a 'church' made by 'men'. For often times we can PLAINLY SEE that many of these would LITERALLY teach a 'faith in THEM' rather than an adherance to The Word. When one 'falls for this', they are then ONLY able to learn and grow AS those that lead them are willing to allow. And MOST times, this is almost a stagnant, unfulfilling persuit in futility. For what MOST teach is a 'promise that is NEVER delivered'. ''Come back next week and we will try again'', mentality.

Develope a strong and sincere relationship with God through His Son and, (in my opinion), ONLY in this way will one BE ABLE to discern the spirits from The Spirit. Once this is accomplished, THEN one IS ABLE to KNOW that; what guides them and nourishes them IS 'their Holy Father and Son'.

But, as offered: BEWARE of WHAT 'spirits' that you would BE submissive TO. For Satan is a 'trickster INDEED'. Able to mimic MUCH of what he LEARNED from The Father. Able to offer some of the SAME sensations and FEELINGS concerning SELF. That is HOW he is able to appease the 'old man' into submission to HIMSELF. Put AWAY the 'old man'. Learn WHAT Love IS. And at this point, one IS able to 'serve God and His neighbor'.

Learn, LOVE and LISTEN. This is HOW we are able to HEAR.

MEC

GuitarIntro said:
I am curious. Sometimes I have a lot of different thoughts in my head. Not sure if these thoughts are from The Holy Spirit or something else.

How does an individual determine whether it is God's calling or just a random thought?

Is there a difference between God's calling and God telling you to do a minor task? Would God tell you to do something very small?

Are there consequences if an individual delays it? Or as long as it gets done? Or what if the individual was just unsure or is afraid of doing it? What if it never gets done?

I remember my pastor said, if you don't listen to God's calling, God will just move onto someone else.

Anyways, a lot of questions. Hope someone can chime in, thanks!

Simple, they believe and follow Jesus.

John 10:27-28 (ASV)
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand.

A true Christian will only follow Jesus and they would not turn away from Him, just as a sheep would not one that it is not familiar with.

The one that hears Jesus will feed on His word.

John 6:53 (BBE)
53 Then Jesus said to them, Truly I say to you, If you do not take the flesh of the Son of man for food, and if you do not take his blood for drink, you have no life in you.

The words that Jesus speaks give life.

John 6:63 (ASV)
63 It is the spirit that giveth life; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I have spoken unto you are spirit, are life.

But ultimatly though, only the one whom God is calling will ever know if they are being called by God…..its a personal thing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back