Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How does one receive the Holy Spirit?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

mutzrein

I asked this question in another thread and after considering what Vic said about keeping to the OP thought it should have its own thread.

I have definite views on the topic but unfortunately cannot spend much time responding to posts at length for a day or so at least. So go for it - and I'll chime in when I can. :biggrin

mutzrein said:
I asked this question in another thread and after considering what Vic said about keeping to the OP thought it should have its own thread. I have definite views on the topic but unfortunately cannot spend much time responding to posts at length for a day or so at least. So go for it - and I'll chime in when I can. :biggrin
I believe I received the Spirit when my sins were washed from me in Baptism, and I believe I was strengthened with the Holy Spirit through the sacrament of Confirmation. These are sacramental liturgical events,instituted by Christ, and they are very important.

But on a more personal level, I pray to God daily, and ask my Father in heaven, in the name of Jesus, to strengthen me with His Spirit and give me the grace I need to be a good Christian. I know my Father ib heaven hears my prayers: This is very important to me too.

You see, I believe that those Catholics who participate in the sacraments and the liturgy without any interior conversion of heart are merely going through sterile motions (and the Catechism actually affirms that). But, I also believe that my non-Catholic brethren who have sincere hearts yet reject the seven sacraments instituted by Christ have rejected beautiful gifts Christ gave to His Bride, the Church.

For some people, its an "either/or" matter.
For me its a "both/and" matter.

One recieves the Holy Spirit when God grants it to them upon conversion, or upon being born again. No outside human work causes Him to come upon us, as Catholic's heresy states. This is one of the reasons why Peter rebuked Simon in the book of acts. One, because he thought he could purchase the ability to grant the Spirit by the laying on of hands with money. And two, because he thought it was a man caused act that accomplished what only God can do.

When we are born again and recieve the Holy Spirit, it is according to God's timing. When the perfect time is come for one of His elect to come into the kingdom, according to His will, His providence, His power, and for His glory, He converts His to-be son and grants him the Holy Spirit. Upon hearing the Gospel we are born again. Then we are granted the gift of faith, and then we are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.

“Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God.†This is clearly stating that we don't believe that Jesus is the Christ until we have been born of God. Here is a quote from John Stott:

"The combination of present tense (believes) and perfect tense [has been born] is important. It shows clearly that believing is the consequence, not the cause, of the new birth. Our present, continuing activity of believing is the result, and therefore, the evidence, of our past experience of new birth by which we became and remain God’s children."

This is also seen in the fact that faith is a fruit of the Spirit.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith..."

We are born again, and then we are granted faith in Christ. Dead men aren't capable of resurrecting themselves, the Spirit of God must come and do that work through the hearing of the Gospel, and through hearing He grants them faith.

The Spirit begets children of God through the hearing of the Gospel, the Gospel is the power of God to salvation, once born of the Gospel, and of God, we have faith in Christ, and are sealed with the Spirit of promise.

"That we should be to the praise of His glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom you also trusted, after that you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that you believed, you were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise."

So the Spirit begets through the GOSPEL, not baptism, grants faith, and then seals you after and upon having faith in Christ.

We can see this in reality in the following passages from Acts.

[Peter preaching to some people] "To him give all the prophets witness, that through His name whosoever believes in Him shall recieve remission of sins." [Notice how it doesn't say, whoever is baptized in His name shall recieve remission of sins, but whosoever believes in Him.] "While Peter yet spoke these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the word." The Gospel is the power of God to salvation, not water baptism. "... Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Spirit as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they prayed they him to tarry certain days." The Spirit begets through the Gospel, not baptism, grants faith, and then you are sealed with the Holy Spirit. So with this group, upon hearing the word, we see that they were born immediately, and immediately they were granted faith, and immediately they were given the gift and sealed by the Holy Spirit.

So the order is this:

“Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God.â€Â

We are born, and then believe.

"That we should be to the praise of His glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom you also trusted, after that you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that you believed, you were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise."

We have faith, and then are sealed.

We are born through the hearing of the Gospel, because it says we trusted in Christ, after that we heard the word of truth, the gospel of our salvation, and we know that you can't trust in Christ until after you have been born of God, so being born again occurs upon hearing the Gospel, which is the power of God unto salvation.

So we see that we are first born of God after and upon hearing the Gospel of our salvation, we are then granted faith, and after we have faith we are sealed by the Spirit of God, and these things happen in a moment, or atleast they did with this group from the passage of Acts we just looked at, because they were sealed with the Spirit immediately after having heard the Gospel, and believing in Jesus Christ.

Now look at another passage.

[Philip preaching to the Etheopian eunuch] "Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached to him Jesus." [He preached the gospel] "And as they went on their way, they came to a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what does hinder me to be baptized?" Here we see that the eunuch already believed. He was already born again, and had already recieved the gift of the Holy Spirit, and he was eager to be baptized and answer with a good conscience to God. I'll explain further how we know that he was already born again and had recieved the Spirit. "And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." From this we see that he had already been born again. Remember, “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God.†He believed, so therefore he had been born of God. He had faith, and therefore he was sealed by the Spirit of God, because, "...in whom also after that you believed, you were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise." So being that he believed, he was also sealed by the Spirit. "And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him." Baptism isn't the power of God to salvation. The Gospel is the power of God to salvation. God begets His children through the Gospel, and then grants them faith, and then seals them with His Spirit.

"Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached to him Jesus." Also from this alone we know the he had already been born again, because the Gospel is the power of God to salvation, and we are born again upon hearing the Gospel, not by water baptism.

"And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may." Philip is saying here that he will not baptize those who don't believe with all their heart. He is saying that without that qualification, you may not be baptized. Conversely, his statement says this. "If you don't believe with all your heart, you may not." Why would he do that? Probably because he doesn't want an unbeliever having assurance in salvation based on the fact that he got dunked in a pool of water. If someone is convinced that simply by being baptized by water they automatically recieve the Spirit of God and are therefore saved, then water baptism becomes nothing but superstition. Water baptism is a good thing that we ought to and are commanded to do by God, but this by no means initiates the giving of the Holy Spirit. The Gospel is the power of God to salvation, not water baptism. Catholic sacramentalism has turned Christ's commands into superstition. If there is no inward work and no inward reality and someone goes through the motions being assured, according to Catholic teaching, that by doing an outward work an inward work of God is going to take place, they are being decieved and are going to trust in water baptism rather than in a work of God, and water baptism then becomes superstition. Philip is saying here, that without an inward reality, we should not baptize with water, and I completely agree, because without an inward reality, if we do baptize an unconverted man, he may go on in life with assurance of salvation based on superstition.

“Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God.â€Â

I believed in Jesus Christ long before I was baptized. So much so, that I went every day into the nearest town and witnessed to almost everybody I saw. The Holy Spirit was burning within me, and He set me free from the bondage of my sin long before I was baptized.

I heard the Gospel, was born of God, believed in Christ, and was sealed by the Spirit, and then, as Philip indicates shouldn't be done unless you are a believer, I was baptized.

Let all remember that this thread is to be a discussion on how one receives the Holy Spirit. Let's not digress into expressing opinions on theologies we don't agree with, but apply ourselves to examining the issue itself. I know it's going to be really hard, but let's work together to not digress into a discussion on water baptism either. I say this will be hard because for some, the work of the Spirit in water baptism is vital to the salvation process and to others it isn't. That we'll have to delve into water baptism's part of the work of the Spirit, let's remember that it's not the subject of the thread.

So, how does one receive the Holy Spirit?

Acts 2:37-38 states: Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?"
And Peter said to them, "Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

I think what gets confusing here is just what is meant by the phrase, "the gift of the Holy Spirit". Some have taken to mean that the Holy Spirit Himself is the gift. Others believe that Peter is referring to the "gift that the Holy Spirit gives". If the "gift" is the Holy Spirit, then there is a lot to be said for the Catholic (and other doctrines as well) teaching that water baptism is necessary in order to recieve the Spirit.

But, I think a better case can be made for the 'gift' being that which the Spirit brings, namely salvation. In this I look at Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 6:23 and other verses which speak to salvation being the gift of God.

If salvation is the gift that Peter was referring to, does this mean then that all are saved upon water baptism. No, because that is only part of what Peter said. The first exhortion Peter said was that they were to "Repent". Repentence is the first act that brings us to God. I know that many Calvinists and others of the Reformed tradition might have a problem with this, but if so, by all means share the texts and let's study it together. After much study on this issue myself, I believe that there is something that man must do, and that is repent. Repentence is not the work of the Spirit, although I do believe a case can be made that it is the Spirit Who shows us our need and brings us to the place of repentence.

I don't want to go to long with this, but I think a case can be made that a well grounded answer to Mutz's question would be that one needs to listen to the promptings of the Spirit and to repent, then to continue to follow in obedience to the Spirit, one of the first acts of obedeince being baptism.

"36Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ."

This is the declaration of the apostle that Jesus Christ is Lord. He says this following a sermon accusing the hearers that they were guilty of killing the Son of God. What is their response? Is it a Pharisee like response? Do they mock in unbelief? No, they say:

37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

Rather than mocking in unbelief as unbelievers tend to do at the message of the cross, which I might add is foolishness with those who are perishing, they show that they believed what he said by their response, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" Peter recognized this, and I'm sure their guilty countenances made it perfectly clear that they were terrified and convicted of killing the One who they now believed to be the Son of God. What does Peter say? He tells them what Jesus said in Mark, which is the Gospel response, "Repent, and believe the Gospel." These men had already heard the Gospel and believed, now they only had to repent. Repentance and faith is the Gospel response, and baptism comes after conversion. Peter responds, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Is Peter necessarily saying that baptism is necessary in order for one to recieve the Holy Ghost? No. He is commanding the proper Gospel response, repentance, and further is commanding those who would be converted to be baptized, which is a command of Jesus for new converts. If a man repents and believes in Jesus Christ, he recieves remission of sins: "To him give all the prophets witness, that through His name whosoever believes in Him shall recieve remission of sins." The command to be baptized was given to those whose consciences would be cleansed by the washing and purification of the Holy Spirit, and only to them, as we see that the apostles would not baptize those who did not truly believe with all their heart that Jesus was the Christ: "And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may."

Also, don't forget that the passage goes on. Peter didn't stop there with the Gospel call.

"And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."

They gladly recieved the Gospel. What does that mean? They had already been born of God, because “Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God.†The new birth comes, and then faith comes after. God begets new converts by the Gospel, and then comes faith. These men had been born of God, because they gladly recieved the Gospel message, along with many other words that Peter did testify and exhort, and then they were baptized after they had recieved the Holy Spirit. The Spirit comes upon and after having faith in Christ: "In whom you also trusted, after that you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that you believed, you were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise."

First comes God's begetting by the Gospel, then comes faith, then God seals with the Holy Spirit, then and only then converts are baptized.

To answer the question of the thread. How does one receive the Holy Spirit? By the faith that God gives you after hearing the Gospel of your salvation. God gives you the faith, and you consciously believe in Christ, and upon doing so, God seals you with the Holy Spirit.

handy said:
I think what gets confusing here is just what is meant by the phrase, "the gift of the Holy Spirit". Some have taken to mean that the Holy Spirit Himself is the gift. Others believe that Peter is referring to the "gift that the Holy Spirit gives". If the "gift" is the Holy Spirit, then there is a lot to be said for the Catholic (and other doctrines as well) teaching that water baptism is necessary in order to recieve the Spirit.

But, I think a better case can be made for the 'gift' being that which the Spirit brings, namely salvation. In this I look at Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 6:23 and other verses which speak to salvation being the gift of God.

Salvation is the remission of sins. Sins are remitted by baptism, as per your quote from Acts. However, the reason WHY baptism remits us from sin is because THROUGH it, we are tied to the blood of Christ, as per Romans 6:2-4 and Colossians 2:10-15. Baptism is inexorably tied to salvation and the remission of sins because it is tied to the blood of Christ. It is Christ's blood that literally takes away our sins - but it is through Baptism that we are tied to His Blood as God's adopted children, heirs of heaven.

Regards

Salvation is the remission of sins.

Yes.

Sins are remitted by baptism,

No. Sin are remitted by repentance towards God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ.

as per Romans 6:2-4 and Colossians 2:10-15.

You have your baptisms mixed up. The baptism being spoken of in these passages is the baptism of the Holy Spirit, not water baptism, and we recieve the Holy Spirit before water baptism. Water baptism may illustrate what has happened to us, that we have died to sin and have been resurrected to live, but the water baptism itself doesn't accomplish that, the baptism of the Holy Spirit does, and this first baptism comes before the second.

but it is through Baptism that we are tied to His Blood as God's adopted children, heirs of heaven.

No. It is by faith in His blood that we are tied to His blood as God's adopted children, heirs of heaven.

handy said:
Let all remember that this thread is to be a discussion on how one receives the Holy Spirit. Let's not digress into expressing opinions on theologies we don't agree with, but apply ourselves to examining the issue itself. I know it's going to be really hard, but let's work together to not digress into a discussion on water baptism either.....
I guess I'm excommunicated then

Catholic Crusader said:
handy said:
Let all remember that this thread is to be a discussion on how one receives the Holy Spirit. Let's not digress into expressing opinions on theologies we don't agree with, but apply ourselves to examining the issue itself. I know it's going to be really hard, but let's work together to not digress into a discussion on water baptism either.....
I guess I'm excommunicated then

Oh no! Nothing quite that drastic. :-D

I know that it's hard (impossible?) to discuss this subject without referring to water baptism, let's just try to keep the thread from becomming about wb as opposed to how (or how not) wb effects our receiving of the Holy Spirit. By all means CC, share your thoughts.

Just poked my nose in, in the midst of a busy day to have a quick read. Some good stuff getting posted I see. Back later . . .

When you ask "How does one receive the Holy Spirit", are you sort of asking "How does one receive graces from God"?

Just one question though.
What happened to Paul on the road to Damascus? He was never baptized until after his conversion. And I'm quite sure he recieved the Holy Spirit right then and there on the road.

He would have received the Spirit upon repentance, just as it says in Acts. He didn't have to wait until water baptism. The type of baptism John the Baptist was doing was a Jewish ritual; an act of cleansing oneself in preparation of the coming of the Lord. John goes on to tell us what a "saving" baptism is:

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Joel foretold us of the coming of this Spirit; John announced the One who would bring on the Spirit and Peter declared it (the prophesy) fulfilled the very day the outpouring began. All one needs to do is believe and confess Jesus is Lord, who died and was raised from the dead... and repent of one's sins and the baptism of the Spirit will come upon you too. ;-)

Acts 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Yes, in this case the people recieved the Holy Spirit then were baptisted.
There's no mechanism by which the Spirit is given. It may be quite different from one person to the next. It's not do this, then this, then this and recieve the gift of salvation. Cause and effect really has no place concerning the gift and the grace thereof. Some recieve by prayer, some recieve during adverse circumstances and some recieve much like Paul. The possibilities are endless. Depends on the grace of God, not what we do.
That is not to say that we shouldn't encourage folks to ask through prayer. Quite the contrary. But we shouldn't teach that by certain methods one will be given the spirit of salvation.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back