Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How Long?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Some people date and get married in a span of a few months while others seem to date and take years before they get engaged and even possibly a few more years before the wedding? So, should there be a general idea of the length of a pre-marraige relationship, and if so how long? If there is to be no general idea of length before marriage, why?

A year, two at the most from courtship to engagement through to marriage is what I was taught, if you don't know that that person will make a good husband or wife by then you never will. Of course you shouldn't be courting unless you are in a position to marry or know you will be within the year in the first place, that you enter upon a courtship is saying from the beginning that you are exploring the possibility of marriage with that person and you would be deceiving the other person if you entered into one with no intention of getting married any time soon.

I believe that as long as you are financially able, go for it. Some people date for a few months and then get engaged because they know that they've found the right person, but then the engagement lasts for a year or two just so they can plan the perfect wedding. I personally don't see the point in that, you're just as much married with a small, cheap wedding as you are with a big one. Also, some people think that you have to do certain things first like finish school or buy a house or something. I think that our society makes it too complicated, back in the olden days all you had to do was pay a dowry, and off you go to start a family. People say, "just wait, make sure it's the right person", but honestly if you just know, you just know. Why wait?
Just my opinion :fadein:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back