Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

how many women and men are in here?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm not sure about the membership, but I do believe that the men are at least more active on the board. I always thought it sort of odd, really. It seems like women would be more likely to communicate this way in my mind...my sterotypes I guess. The Lord bless you.

Now that's an interesting statement, Lewis.

I've been around a number of Christian Forums, and one thing that I can attest to is the fact that Christian Talk Forums tend to be very male dominated. Not that women are shunned or ignored, just not as many of us are on the forums as you men are.

Yet, as you say, more women are in church than men these days.

Do you think ...wait, as I grab my can-opener...that because women are getting more and more dominate in churches, that men are seeking fellowship elsewhere?...there it is, can of worms now open!

I always thought forums were such a draw for men because they have a harder time opening up in a face to face setting.
On forums they seem to be able to come out of their shell.

I believe you are right, Lewis, and Handy. There are more women in the church. I think there could be several reasons for this. One, I think that women, as the weaker vessels, may see their need for Christ more in the worlds current climate. Secondly, the church seems to encourage women more to be active...it seems to make itself more attractive to women and children. Third, and to me the main reason, I believe we have allowed feminism to creep in and rob.

Men are not encouraged to speak more in the church...about the Scriptures, I mean. In the church that our family started attended recently the brothers all take a week to speak on the next passage in the Word. The women to do not speak. We do have elders, but all the men preach and teach as they are led, and the deacons head up pracitcal ministries. I think some families have gone to home churches because of this as well...so that the men can be the leaders in their homes and local churches again. It seems that here on the forums they have more of a voice than they do in most churches...and they can engage one another about the Word.

And Destiny, I think you are absolutely right about what you said...at least for some. For me, this board gives me a chance to speak about relevent topics that I would most likely clam up about in person. I also think that there is a lot more freedom to be honest about your beliefs when you are not sitting face to face with someone.

Interesting topic. The Lord bless all of you.

destiny said:
I always thought forums were such a draw for men because they have a harder time opening up in a face to face setting.
On forums they seem to be able to come out of their shell.
Hehehe, not ALL of us. At least at my place of worship, I can see the odd glances when I say something. :lol:

J/k, though I do keep the Bible Study instructors on their toes. :-D

I, personally, LIKE playing with the boys here. I've learned much already. Besides, I didn't see a "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" sign posted so I assume the guys don't mind us girlie-girls playing nice?

:smt052

handy said:

I've been around a number of Christian Forums, and one thing that I can attest to is the fact that Christian Talk Forums tend to be very male dominated. Not that women are shunned or ignored, just not as many of us are on the forums as you men are.

Do you think ...wait, as I grab my can-opener...that because women are getting more and more dominate in churches, that men are seeking fellowship elsewhere?...there it is, can of worms now open!

The reason forums tend to be male dominated is for the same reason playing on the computer all day is male dominated. In addition, forums are "safe" where only your words are met head-on. Not face-to-face and hence more anonymous. Women like to socialize more (i.e. church)---- in their genes so-to-speak. That even applies to the restrooms. :lol: whereas guys do everything more alone.

Lewis W said:
But I will say this' there are more women' in the church than men.
I would say it's because woman get fed up first and turn to God, and than their husbands follow after, It usually starts with the women. :smt091 :lol:

Women do dominate the churches, and most husbands are home, doing whatever it is they do when left alone at home.
One reason the moms DO go, is, they can have their children taken care of for a couple of hours, by someone who is trustworthy, while they get some time for themselves, just to listen to another adult talking about the Lord Jesus.

My husband thinks going to church is too much to ask of him, so, he just doesn't go at all.
Of course, he's so busy, with no free time to himself, and I guess being on call 24/7 would tend to squash any desires to go to church. I guess.
I don't know.

sisterchristian said:
I would say it's because woman get fed up first and turn to God, and than their husbands follow after, It usually starts with the women. :smt091 :lol:

Women ARE more teachable than men.

handy said:

IDo you think ...wait, as I grab my can-opener...that because women are getting more and more dominate in churches, that men are seeking fellowship elsewhere?...there it is, can of worms now open!

Why would a man shun the church just because there are more women in it?

The preacher is still a guy.

I don't have any problem speaking up in my male-dominated Sunday school class. Gets things going!!

When I used to teach the adult SS class, I noticed a predominance of women. I tried to get the guys to come because the way I teach I sometimes bring a calculator (math in the bible) and present things from a matter-of-factly way. I think the guys tend to associate spirituality with emotionalism, a traditional feminine quality until the wives tried to get their husbands to come and hear me teach. The women in my class were very logical and analytical and did quite fine with my material.

However, I can relate to what some guys feel about church because there is a conception that some adult classes can be more of a therapy session than a teaching session where ultimately the subject focuses on themselves instead of the Lord and His Word. And this is sometimes the case: one class of ours got so personal that secrets got revealed and behind-the-scenes gossip resulted. That's why I never encouraged a "spill out your feelings" type of class. It was more teaching and sometimes lecturing, but they learned a lot more that way.

The church I attend has lots of stuff going on for the men, not to mention the pastors and all the assoc. pastors, deacons and all the Elders are men. We have mens retreats, mens bible studies, mens accountability, there's just alot of men that go to my church. Although they have the same stuff going on for women which there's lots of women there too.

handy said:

Men are out in the world doing their own agenda. And that is all kinds of things' you name it. Men seem to think that they can depend on themselves rather than God' much more so than the women. Women seem to except God more readily than men. There are many men who are into God' don't get me wrong. But the women out number us in the church' and that is everywhere you go' all over the world. And there are more reasons for this also. Women are wired different than men' most men have got to fall on their faces' a 1000 plus times before they come to God' and I was one of them. Some women are like that too' especially the alcoholic and drug addict women. But even they when they finally get it. They got it. Men also will stray away from the church faster than women. Except for the rock solid men in the faith.

Lewis W said:
Men are out in the world doing their own agenda. And that is all kinds of things' you name it. Men seem to think that they can depend on themselves rather than God' much more so than the women. Women seem to except God more readily than men. There are many men who are into God' don't get me wrong. But the women out number us in the church' and that is everywhere you go' all over the world. And there are more reasons for this also. Women are wired different than men' most men have got to fall on their faces' a 1000 plus times before they come to God' and I was one of them. Some women are like that too' especially the alcoholic and drug addict women. But even they when they finally get it. They got it. Men also will stray away from the church faster than women. Except for the rock solid men in the faith.
I think it might have something to do with pride because alot of men think they can do everything on their own, without help from anyone including God.

sisterchristian said:
I think it might have something to do with pride because alot of men think they can do everything on their own, without help from anyone including God.
Oh' it has a lot to do with pride.

tim_from_pa said:
one class of ours got so personal that secrets got revealed and behind-the-scenes gossip resulted. That's why I never encouraged a "spill out your feelings" type of class. It was more teaching and sometimes lecturing, but they learned a lot more that way.

Our preacher, God rest his soul, used to lecture the congregation on that.
People using phrases like, "Oh, honey, guess what so and so said she/he needed prayer about? Let me tell you, so we can pray about it."

It's funny, even if we did a totally honest prayer request time, NO ONE should be judgemental, harsh, or gossipy. I think gossip and judgementalism are two reasons why most people say, "unspoken" when they're asked if they have a prayer request.

Lewis W said:
I haven't posted in a quite some time but this subject is somewhat near and dear to me.
I agree with Lewis but I believe there is more to it (at least in my case).
I am very irregular in attending Church. Sometimes it is because I have limited time and I have to get things done. I'll admit this is more of an excuse than a reason but it is convenient. So why would I spend more of my time here (on a forum) than in Church. For me the reason is simple.

Here I can ask questions and get answers. In Church if I have a question during the sermon I have to remain silent so as not to disrupt the service. This means my questions generally go unanswered.

Here I can post my understanding and open myself to looking like a fool. In Church I can attend Sunday school or other Bible studies but being an introvert I find it very difficult to express my thoughts for fear of looking like a fool. The teachers also have a set amount of material they want to cover and I don’t like wasting the time of others who seem to understand the material being covered.

I have attended men’s Bible studies and I have a tendency to question everything. This makes the process very slow. I have actually heard that people initially don’t like me because of this. They get the impression that I think I know everything when the opposite is actually the case.

The biggest problem I have is when a verse is being explained and certain statements are made about the verse. More times than not I ask myself how they came up with that based on the verse just read. I will read the verse in context and still come up with no idea how their explanation of the verse was derived. Again because of the setting I can’t ask the questions.

So what is one of the biggest differences between men and women? Women appear (to me) to be more able to take things on faith where men can’t or won’t.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back