Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Photographs How to do it?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
A

Asyncritus

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a free account at Flickr. Flickr.com. You get a huge storage capacity for free, and the system resizes your pictures from full size to thumbnail, and several in between. The medium size works great here. Give it a try.

You have nice taste in cameras. My first Leica:

7791106832_6f9d96e34f_b.jpg

It is such an amazingly simple little machine, so well-constructed. Still takes magnificent shots. When my last daughter was born, this is the camera that recorder her leaving the hospital and arriving home.

Alas, a camera built for a lifetime is no longer a rational purchase. Technology races on, and in a few years the best of them becomes obsolete. I see the value of buying something just for the love of it. The absolutely beautiful work on Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander cameras of that era are a joy to hold and use. Sadly, only Leitz continues.

Last edited:
Oh noes, if the two of you make peace and only converse about cameras from now on, then where am I supposed to get my entertainment? :cries

If I was going to buy another camera, I'd be getting a Pentax K3. Why? Because the image quality beats anything else remotely close to it's price level, including Leica.

Maybe we can argue about that. Much as I love well-made cameras, made to be handed down to descendants, it no longer makes engineering sense in a world where the technology makes an instrument obsolete in a few years.

When it was film being used, the technology was in the medium itself; so advances in silver grain formation on the film drove improvements. My Contax II was better than most modern SLRs because the lenses were better. But now, it's on the sensor, and my cell phone has a better sensor than the best NIkon from a decade ago. It's a different world, a little sad.

Last edited:
Pentax K3??????

The cheapest I found on google is £999 !!! That's nearly 30% more than what I paid for the VLUX4! That K3 price is for a fixed lens 40mm camera.

I think the VLUX4 marks the end of the DSLRs. There's just nothing like it.

Just imagine buying a top of the range Nikon or Canon body, you'd need 3 lenses to get up to 500mm telephoto from 25mm wide angle. The total price of that kit would be well over £1000, not to mention the weight and general inconvenience of carting that lot round.

The VLUX4 has a zoom from 25 - 600 mm and a max aperture of f2.8. Given the brightness of the viewfinder, and the fact that it remains wide open all the way from 25 - 600mm with no darkening as the zoom increases, and that it only weighs about 600gm, who needs any other lenses?

It actually focusses down to about 10mm from the front lens, so it does macrophotography as well. And the brightness of the photos and the colours the lens produces are simply astonishing.

Leitz is going to put them out of business, and I'm sure there's a mad scramble going on as they try to copy the VLUX4. They're going to have a job catching up, and while they're catching up, Leitz will probably produce an 18 -1000 zoom!

leica+vlux4+third+batch+003.jpg

Hey, I managed to get it on! Wahey!

I should mention that I took this from about 50 feet away without a tripod. It was in my neighbour's garden.

The VLUX4 wasn't intended to compete with DSLRs; the smaller sensor was never intended to match a full-frame sensor. You can only pack so many pixels into a given area before there are problems with low-light response. The danger to DSLRs comes from a different source, the interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras, especially the Olympus cameras. But even there, the full-frame cameras like Nikon's or the remarkable K-3, which actually has better image quality than Nikons, will give you better quality.

My mirrorless K-01, which produces better quality than any other mirrorless camera, is not at the level of the Nikon D700 or the Pentax F3, but it will do this:
10494392784_533b270332_b.jpg

Of course, all that detail usually won't show up without a little tweaking on the computer.

I assume your very well-done shots were in raw format? The Panasonic FZ200, which is the Japanese version of the VLUX4 will take a raw image, so I'm guessing yours will do it. If so, you could make those shots even better by this:
http://www.autohdr.co.uk/

It's a free, and very easy-to-use way of getting greater dynamic range in your photos. The very bright sun produced excessive contrast and blew out some of the petals. Even with the copy from your post, there was a considerable improvement in the exposure from running it through AutoHDR on the "natural" setting. Try it.

Last edited:
All of my cameras so far have been point-and-shoot ones. :erm I've had a couple Kodaks and last year my mom got me a Nikon Coolpix. I wanted to try something other than Kodak partly because when taking a photography class once the teacher said she didn't think too much of digital Kodaks.

May not be the exact model, but the camera I have currently is at least very similar to this: http://digital-photography-school.com/nikon-coolpix-s230
And there are features I like about it that I liked better than my Kodak cameras--although some took a little getting used to.
Some pics from it:
go_away_by_colliequest-d6bwmpl.jpg

confederates_by_colliequest-d67h27a.jpg

(HDR program applied on the computer.)

observation_by_colliequest-d5r47wm.jpg

Although when borrowing my mom's particular Fujifilm model, I thought it had better overall detail than my Nikon:
view_from_little_round_top_by_colliequest-d6hadm0.jpg

flower_by_colliequest-d6ha0ll.jpg

monument_by_colliequest-d6hadwc.jpg

I could probably make better choices in cameras. That said, none of the cameras I've had were specifically chosen by me. My parents would get me a new one for Christmas every two or three years, and I've had my current camera for about a year. So since they don't even have to get me a camera in the first place I'm not going to complain, it works for just a hobby.

I want to buy a Canon or something like it one day. But those are a bit out of my price range right now.

Last edited:
The VLUX4 wasn't intended to compete with DSLRs; the smaller sensor was never intended to match a full-frame sensor. You can only pack so many pixels into a given area before there are problems with low-light response. The danger to DSLRs comes from a different source, the interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras, especially the Olympus cameras. But even there, the full-frame cameras like Nikon's or the remarkable K-3, which actually has better image quality than Nikons, will give you better quality.

My mirrorless K-01, which produces better quality than any other mirrorless camera, is not at the level of the Nikon D700 or the Pentax F3, but it will do this:
10494392784_533b270332_b.jpg

Of course, all that detail usually won't show up without a little tweaking on the computer.

I assume your very well-done shots were in raw format? The Panasonic FZ200, which is the Japanese version of the VLUX4 will take a raw image, so I'm guessing yours will do it. If so, you could make those shots even better by this:
http://www.autohdr.co.uk/

It's a free, and very easy-to-use way of getting greater dynamic range in your photos. The very bright sun produced excessive contrast and blew out some of the petals. Even with the copy from your post, there was a considerable improvement in the exposure from running it through AutoHDR on the "natural" setting. Try it.

I looked at the program, and like it very much. It's far far simpler to use than GIMP or photoshop for these purposes, which are very much like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

So thanks for that. I'll give it a serious workout.

GIMP and Photoshop are for people who want flexibility and control to the nth degree. If you just want to make your pictures look a bit better, then AutoHDR is the ticket.

Here are some pics taken from a wedding album I recently did, entitled​

An Evocation Based on the Exquisite Words of The Song of Solomon'

holdhandsbw.JPG

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back