Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How to Identify the Spirit of God

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

StoicMind

I often get these feelings around my upper abdomen, below my rib cage, I would like to identify this as the spirit of God because I often feel it in church and when doing religious based research. But tonight, in the middle of the nigh I had woke up and felt this empty feeling more so in my chest, it was somewhat euphoric, and when I breathed it felt so pure, clean and effortless (even more effortless, considering the fact that breathing is involuntary), and I would really like to say this is the presence of God because It felt really good. The feelings between my upper abs and Lower rib cage doesn't necessarily feel good, it's more of a troubling feeling, so I would now identify this as a spirit of caution by why do I feel this so often? and what do you think caused the other feeling I felt in the middle of the night?

I think what you might be feeling is what is colloquially known as "butterflies in the stomach".

The physiological causes of this feeling are mostly understood. It's that feeling you get when in a new romantic relationship, when you are excited about something or even when you are nervous. I get the feeling when I think of specific things.

I think it's more a sign of how much God means to you than the actual spirit of God. Either way, it's a good thing.

I often get these feelings around my upper abdomen, below my rib cage, I would like to identify this as the spirit of God because I often feel it in church and when doing religious based research. But tonight, in the middle of the nigh I had woke up and felt this empty feeling more so in my chest, it was somewhat euphoric, and when I breathed it felt so pure, clean and effortless (even more effortless, considering the fact that breathing is involuntary), and I would really like to say this is the presence of God because It felt really good. The feelings between my upper abs and Lower rib cage doesn't necessarily feel good, it's more of a troubling feeling, so I would now identify this as a spirit of caution by why do I feel this so often? and what do you think caused the other feeling I felt in the middle of the night?
I would be very careful of trusting "feelings" although the Holy Spirit brings much to the believer, caution should be used in such things. I believe the sense of Love, and unity with the Father are the foundation of Spiritual growth.

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Also, if you are a "new believer" I do hope you have those who have walked with the Lord for some time, to help you understand what has happened to you
when you received the Spirit of Christ? :)

Deep breathing can bring on feelings of euphoria, and in the ultra relaxed state of REM sleep, deep breathing is nearly effortless. Therefore it is likely that is what is causing your positive feelings.

For you negative feelings, I would answer the question Joe asked, because that is something that is a real concern.

I agree that it is dangerous to ascribe any particular feeling to diety. The mormons talk about "the burning in the bosom" as the sign that something is truly from their god. It is instead important to find out if a message, mafestation or practice is verified by the Bible. Feelings, sensations and manifestations are not an indication of spirituality. The fruit of the Spirit: love joy peace patience kindness goodness faithfulness gentleness and self control. (NASV Galatians 5:22-23) These and the power to obey and to witness about God effectively are signs of the Spirit of God.

Yes, it's probably a manifestation of the Spirit. That is one way that happens. Don't ignore it. But don't make it the center of your relationship with God either.

The problem with things like this is people either reject them altogether, or they go off the deep end and end up with an unhealthy interest and reliance on supernatural things like this. Neither extreme is good. I think it's good to just accept it as one way that God's Spirit manifests in our lives and learn where and when it fits in the Christian life and for what purpose.

Hi, StoicMind,

It sounds to me like what you are talking about is what the Bible would call your "heart" or your "bossom", as in the following passage:

Luke 24:13 Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. 14 They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15 As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16 but they were kept from recognizing him.

Luke 24:30 When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?†(emphasis mine)

Please read the following passages carefully:

Galatians 5:16-22

John 3:5-8

1 Corinthians 12 and 1 Corinthians 13

Colossians 3:2

1 Corinthians 3:16

Also here is a link to a web page that will probably help clarify things for you:

http://www.opc.org/qa.html?question_id=343

I think it's wonderful that you feel effected in your heart by God's Word and His presence, but I would not call that the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is so much bigger than that! However, as Jethro said, it could certainly be a manifestation of His Spirit. But keep in mind that the Holy Spirit effects more than just your body and emotions, but your whole being, most importantly, your own spirit :yes

Hi, StoicMind,

It sounds to me like what you are talking about is what the Bible would call your "heart" or your "bossom", as in the following passage:

Luke 24:13 Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. 14 They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15 As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16 but they were kept from recognizing him.

Luke 24:30 When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?†(emphasis mine)

Please read the following passages carefully:

Galatians 5:16-22

John 3:5-8

1 Corinthians 12 and 1 Corinthians 13

Colossians 3:2

1 Corinthians 3:16

Also here is a link to a web page that will probably help clarify things for you:

http://www.opc.org/qa.html?question_id=343

I think it's wonderful that you feel effected in your heart by God's Word and His presence, but I would not call that the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is so much bigger than that! However, as Jethro said, it could certainly be a manifestation of His Spirit. But keep in mind that the Holy Spirit effects more than just your body and emotions, but your whole being, most importantly, your own spirit :yes

The psychophysiological reason behind these kinds of feelings is quite understood. As I mentioned in my above post, "butterflies in the stomach" can explain this feeling. Assigning spiritual meaning to it is not neccesary. But it is great that someone can get that kind of feeling from something they believe in.

The psychophysiological reason behind these kinds of feelings is quite understood. As I mentioned in my above post, "butterflies in the stomach" can explain this feeling.
Butterflies is an anxious feeling right in the pit of the stomach. She described a sensation under her rib cage; in the area of the diaphragm. Other Christians have shared this very same sensation.

Assuming it's the Holy Spirit, and not a medical condition, it's a guidance mechanism, a discomfort signaling her to be conscious of and seek God in some way, perhaps through prayer, or Bible reading. I've heard it called a 'holy discomfort'.

And like other manifestations of the Spirit we are to exercise caution and discernment to know whether it really is from God or not.

The diaphragm and stomach are in pretty much the same area just under the ribcage.
And butterflies can also be felt when a person experiences feelings of love.

The psychophysiological reason behind these kinds of feelings is quite understood. As I mentioned in my above post, "butterflies in the stomach" can explain this feeling. Assigning spiritual meaning to it is not neccesary. But it is great that someone can get that kind of feeling from something they believe in.

Either way, all of us here affirm that our bodies were made by God, and He had a reason to make them the way he did. And that the body of a believer is the temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) :thumbsup

Either way, all of us here affirm that our bodies were made by God, and He had a reason to make them the way he did. And that the body of a believer is the temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) :thumbsup

Then why do non-believers also have these feelings from time to time?

Back