Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study How to Pray

S

sarabethkrantz

How to Pray
Lesson Text: Matthew 6:5-15

Prayer is a wonderful privilege enjoyed by God’s Children. Through prayer we receive mercy and grace to help in time of need according to Hebrews 4:14-16. Through prayer, we can find peace that will guard our hearts and mind found in Philippians 4:6-7
But, the privilege of prayer assumes our prayers will be heard. Not all prayers are acceptable to God. Proverbs 28:9 says, “One who turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination.†Not all prayers are welcomed by God. Isaiah 59:1-2 says, “Behold, the LORD’S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear.†James 5:16 states that “the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.†What are some guidelines for acceptable prayer?
We’re going to first be talking about how not to pray. First, we don’t need to pray to be seen by men (Mt. 6:5). Jesus spoke of the hypocrites who loved to pray while standing in the synagogues or on the street corners. These men have their reward. Instead, we are to go into our closet (private chamber) to pray. How many of you have a private place you pray in? If you don’t have such a place, it would do well to have one (for many reasons). Consider Acts 27:35- “And when he (Peter) had thus spoken, he took bread, and gave thanks to God in presence of them all: and when he had broken it, he began to eat.â€Â
We also don’t need to pray to be heard of men (Mt. 6:7). Jesus criticized their use of vain repetitions (6:7). Jesus was not criticizing all repetition. Consider Jesus’ prayer in the garden of Gethsemane – Mt. 26:36-44, particularly verse 44 – “And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.†Consider Paul’s prayer that his thorn in the flesh be removed – 2 Corinthians 12:7-8 – “For this thing I besought the Lord three times that it might depart from me.â€Â
Now we’re going to talk about how to pray. First, we need to pray with adoration – 6:9, “Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.†Vine’s says this is “the opposite of common.†Consider Psalm 111:9 – “He has sent redemption to His people; he has commanded His covenant forever; holy and awesome is His name.†The KJV, instead of using the word awesome (that the NKJV uses) says “reverendâ€Â. When this word is used in this verse, it is an attribute ascribed to God, not man.
Another thing we need to include in our prayer is confession – 6:12, “Forgive us our debts.†See 1 Peter 3:12 – “The eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.†In order to receive forgiveness, we must possess an attitude of forgiveness. Matthew 6:14-15 says “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.â€Â
We also need to include thanksgiving in our prayers, though this is not explicitly mentioned in our text. Who can argue its place in our prayers? Philippians 4:6 says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.†1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 states, “pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.†1 Timothy 2:1 says, “Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men.â€Â
The last thing we need to include in our prayer is supplication – Matthew 6:11-13. This includes the past (forgive us our debts), the present (give us our daily bread), and the future (leaus not into temptation). Again consider Philippians 4:6 and 1 Timothy 2:1.
Philippians 4:6 - “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.â€Â
1 Timothy 2:1 – “Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men.â€Â

I believe Jesus is the best answer on how to pray. He prayed so hard that he sweat blood. Thats strong prayer. I'm talking about the time in the garden before the guards took him. And to pray again and again till the prayer is answered.

Back