Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study humility/ humble our selves

jerry63935

2 Chronicles 7: 14 if My people, who are called by My name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

1 Peter 5

5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility; for “God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.”

6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,

What is Humility?
Humility is often characterized as genuine gratitude and lack of arrogance, a modest view of one’s self. However, the biblical definition of humility goes beyond this. Humility is a critical and continuous emphasis of godliness in the Bible, as we are called upon to be humble followers of Christ and trust in the wisdom and salvation of God. Let us be humble before our creator for the gift of life we have been given.

Biblical humility is grounded in the nature of God. The Father descends to help the poor and afflicted; the incarnate Son manifests humility from birth until His crucifixion. The coupled usage of "meek" and "humble in heart" in Matthew 11:29 emphasizes Christ's humility before humankind, whom he came to serve and His submission before God. Humility and meekness are often interrelated as both are righteous traits for serving the will of God.

the day and age we live in i feel God is using the events of 2020 to get our attention and teaching us how to be humble .
the virus and closing the church sanctuary for safety/health reasons . i fully believe the need to attend Church . there is more to going to church than just sitting in a pew and singing a few songs listening to a special and hearing the preacher. its what we get out of it the songs the message . we build beautiful buildings put all kinds names on the the church of God of the faith of abraham , His place Pilgrims rest . but we forgot how to be the church.

i look back at the Bible i see where in all the books of the Bible God was teaching how to be humble . sometimes he used circumstances other times he flat out brought people to there knees . i am not to sure but what is going on in 2020 from politics to BlM in which i oppose the agenda to defund police. our world has been Rocked . this virus is just the icing on the cake

i am going to add more to this,
Philippians 2
Christian Humility
2 If, then, there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, 2 make my joy complete by thinking the same way, having the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. 4 Everyone should look not to his own interests, but rather to the interests of others...

when peter wrote being clothed in humility he is speaking of putting on as in clothing / girded. in john 13 Christ humbled himself to his disciples in foot washing yes i believe in foot washing as it is symbolic of being a servant and being humble.. do we have to wash feet to be a servant or humble? NO . as jesus laid aside his garment and girded a towel .the word girded has a type meaning to tie a knot. the towel was servants badge poor peter had a hard time understanding what Christ was teaching.. Good ol peter he actually felt unworthy for Christ to wash his feet.. peter had to be taught humility so as he could do his part in the kingdom. so often God has to humble us .so that we can find our place and do our part ,
i am going to highlight some important parts .that to me has special emphasis .

2 Now when it was time for supper, the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas, Simon Iscariot’s son,[a] to betray him. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had given everything into his hands, that he had come from God, and that he was going back to God. 4 So he got up from supper, laid aside his outer clothing, took a towel, and tied it around himself. 5 Next, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet and to dry them with the towel tied around him.

6 He came to Simon Peter, who asked him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

7 Jesus answered him, “What I’m doing you don’t realize now, but afterward you will understand.”

8 “You will never wash my feet,” Peter said.

Jesus replied, “If I don’t wash you, you have no part with me.”

9 Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, not only my feet, but also my hands and my head.”

10 “One who has bathed,” Jesus told him, “doesn’t need to wash anything except his feet, but he is completely clean. You are clean, but not all of you.” 11 For he knew who would betray him. This is why he said, “Not all of you are clean.”

The Meaning of Foot Washing
12 When Jesus had washed their feet and put on his outer clothing, he reclined again and said to them, “Do you know what I have done for you? 13 You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are speaking rightly, since that is what I am. 14 So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done for you.

16 “Truly I tell you, a servant is not greater than his master,[b] and a messenger is not greater than the one who sent him. 17 If you know these things, " you are blessed if you do them."

18 “I’m not speaking about all of you; I know those I have chosen. But the Scripture must be fulfilled: The one who eats my bread[c] has raised his heel against me.[d] 19 I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am he. 20 Truly I tell you, whoever receives anyone I send receives me, and the one who receives me receives him who sent me.”
there are many form of servanthood and humility . in our saturday men breakfast we discussed this . it was brought out we are not automatically humble . some times we have to be taught .

it is my prayer and hope someone got something out of this

Humility: To be made humble, marked by meekness or modesty

The cross is just one example of humility where Jesus humbled himself through all the persecutions he faced even unto death that he presented himself no greater than those he died for. God said there is no greater love than a man lay his life down for another. This is what Jesus did was lay his life down so we could have life eternal with him. Followers of Christ should also have this meekness that we would be willing to do such a thing as this if it would bring a lost one to Christ.

John 10:15 as the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father and I lay down my life for the sheep.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay his life down for his friends.

Matthew 10:24 the disciple is neither above his master nor the servant above his Lord.

Humbleness is yielding ourselves to God which allows us to put him first above ourselves and family so we can be more obedient to his will. We know that Gods will is to love unconditionally and when we can love in such a way we become not only a blessing unto God, but a greater blessing to our families. We give up trying to do everything our own way and allow the righteousness of God work in us and through us to be a more effective member of his body and receive the greater blessings of his love and compassion.

Luke 14:26 If any man come unto me and hate not (hate not means putting your family first before God) his father, mother, wife, children, brethren and sister yes and his own life also he cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:33, so likewise whosoever he be of you that forsakes not all that he hath he cannot be my disciple.

SERVITUDE

Fear: To have reverence, respect and humbleness for another

We fear God, but not in the way we would fear or be scared of the unknown, but respect and humble ourselves before his throne of grace. None of us has ever seen God in the physical for we know he is Spiritual without form, but we respect and humble ourselves before him because he is the creator of all that is good and that is why we reverence him.

We serve God out of respect for the truth of his spoken word that gives us instruction in our lives on how to lead a life that is pleasing to the Father. The only way we can be pleasing to God is by being a humbled servant that wants others to know his mercy and grace. We experience the goodness of God by being a faithful servant that never wavers in the face of our enemies as God makes our path straight before our feet.

Psalms 2:11 Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling.
Psalms 5:7 But as for me I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
Psalms 5:8 Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.

2 Chronicles 7: 14 if My people, who are called by My name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Who are the people called by Gods name, Israel were the people at that time. God was known as the God of Israel, but now it refers to Christians. Christ's people are people called by his name.

Who are the people called by Gods name, Israel were the people at that time. God was known as the God of Israel, but now it refers to Christians. Christ's people are people called by his name.

Hi @Prycejosh and welcome to CF.

On this side of grace we are all God's children by the sacrifice Jesus made for all who will believe and come unto Him in whom He will receive.

Back