Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study I AM WHO I AM

WalterandDebbie

CF Ambassador
Sabbath Overseer
Friday 7-12-24 6th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tammuz 5 5784 23rd. Summer Day

Exodus 3

God Miraculously Appears

1 Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb.

2 And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

3 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.

4 And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.

5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

6 Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

God Calls Moses To Leadership

7 And the Lord said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;

8 And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.

9 Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them.

10 Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.

Who Am I?

11 And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?

12 And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.

What Is His Name?

13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

16 Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:

17 And I have said, I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt unto the land of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, unto a land flowing with milk and honey.

18 And they shall hearken to thy voice: and thou shalt come, thou and the elders of Israel, unto the king of Egypt, and ye shall say unto him, The Lord God of the Hebrews hath met with us: and now let us go, we beseech thee, three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God.

19 And I am sure that the king of Egypt will not let you go, no, not by a mighty hand.

20 And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go.

21 And I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty.

22 But every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put them upon your sons, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians.

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
Greetings Walter and Debbie,
I Am That I Am
I prefer the future tense as translated by Tyndale "I willbe" and given in the RV and RSV margins:

Exodus 3:12-14 (Tyndale): 12 And he sayde: I wilbe with the. And this shalbe a token vnto the that I haue sent the: after that thou hast broughte the people out of Egipte, ye shall serue God vppon this mountayne. 13 Than sayde Moses vnto God: when I come vnto the childern of Israell and saye vnto them, the God of youre fathers hath sent me vnto you, ad they saye vnto me, what ys his name, what answere shall I geuethem? 14 Then sayde God vnto Moses: I wilbe what I wilbe: ad he sayde, this shalt thou saye vnto the children of Israel: I wilbe dyd send me to you.

Refer my article "The Yahweh Name".

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings Walter and Debbie,

I prefer the future tense as translated by Tyndale "I willbe" and given in the RV and RSV margins:

Exodus 3:12-14 (Tyndale): 12 And he sayde: I wilbe with the. And this shalbe a token vnto the that I haue sent the: after that thou hast broughte the people out of Egipte, ye shall serue God vppon this mountayne. 13 Than sayde Moses vnto God: when I come vnto the childern of Israell and saye vnto them, the God of youre fathers hath sent me vnto you, ad they saye vnto me, what ys his name, what answere shall I geuethem? 14 Then sayde God vnto Moses: I wilbe what I wilbe: ad he sayde, this shalt thou saye vnto the children of Israel: I wilbe dyd send me to you.

Refer my article "The Yahweh Name".

Kind regards
Trevor
Good morning Trevor, Is there a difference in the meaning of "I AM WHO I AM" and "I WILL BE" in the translations by Tyndale of Exodus 3:12-14?

Greetings again Walter and Debbie,
Is there a difference in the meaning of "I AM WHO I AM" and "I WILL BE" in the translations by Tyndale of Exodus 3:12-14?
Yes. "I AM" is the English present tense and speaks more of existence, while "I wilbe" (Tyndale) or "I will be" (RV and RSV margins) is future tense and in the context of Exodus 3:14 speaks more of future activity, in that God would be with Moses to deliver Israel out of Egypt and bring them into the promised land. "Ehyeh" has been correctly translated "I will be" in Exodus 3:12, not only in the KJV but also all modern translations and this sets the context and meaning of Exodus 3:14. Refer also Exodus 6:1-8 where this is elaborated. The present tense is found in Exodus 3:6 "I am the God of Abraham".

I suggest the reason why the incorrect translation "I AM" is preferred is because it is used to support the Trinity, as you have done elsewhere, and possibly this thread is really for the same purpose. The article you quote after stating that Ehyeh could (or should) be translated "I will be", then ignores this and gives a very thorough attempt to substantiate "I AM", most probably to lay the foundation for the Trinitarian application of John 8:58 which you endorse,

Kind regards
Trevor

I suggest the reason why the incorrect translation "I AM" is preferred is because it is used to support the Trinity, as you have done elsewhere, and possibly this thread is really for the same purpose. The article you quote after stating that Ehyeh could (or should) be translated "I will be", then ignores this and gives a very thorough attempt to substantiate "I AM", most probably to lay the foundation for the Trinitarian application of John 8:58 which you endorse,
Hi Trevor What proof do you have? I am not a Trinitarian, I told you this once before.

post # 191

Love, Walter

Last edited:
I suggest the reason why the incorrect translation "I AM" is preferred is because it is used to support the Trinity, as you have done elsewhere, and possibly this thread is really for the same purpose.
It is because you have that mindset.

Love, Walter

Greetings again Walter,

What proof do you have? I am not a Trinitarian, I told you this once before.
It is because you have that mindset.
No, it is because I was confirming to what is the truth as to our belief.

I came to this conclusion as a result of your involvement in the thread "THE GREAT I AM". You restarted this thread with Post #123 on June 25th while this thread had been dormant since October 12th 2023 with Post #122. You stated:
Great post GodsGrace. Love. Walter
I could be wrong, but my impression concerning that thread is that it was mainly a discussion between Trinitarians who connect the "I AM" of John 8:58 with the "I AM" of Exodus 3:14, and with non-Trinitarians who did not accept this connection and did not believe that Jesus is "THE GREAT I AM".

Soon after you stated in Post #129:
Just to let you know Jesus Is "The Great I am" to us.
You also started this thread "I AM WHO I AM", and the article you quote gives an endorsement of the "I AM" position, and I consider this is meant to be an endorsement of the Trinity. So yes, I am confused at what you actually believe.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again Walter,

I came to this conclusion as a result of your involvement in the thread "THE GREAT I AM". You restarted this thread with Post #123 on June 25th while this thread had been dormant since October 12th 2023 with Post #122. You stated:

I could be wrong, but my impression concerning that thread is that it was mainly a discussion between Trinitarians who connect the "I AM" of John 8:58 with the "I AM" of Exodus 3:14, and with non-Trinitarians who did not accept this connection and did not believe that Jesus is "THE GREAT I AM".

Soon after you stated in Post #129:

You also started this thread "I AM WHO I AM", and the article you quote gives an endorsement of the "I AM" position, and I consider this is meant to be an endorsement of the Trinity. So yes, I am confused at what you actually believe.

Kind regards
Trevor
Good morning Trevor, You are correct in your findings, and I do believe that Jesus is the Great I am because He is who He says He is to us in every way.

Psalm 48

Broken Bondage

(2 Kings 18:13-16; 2 Chronicles 32:1-8; Psalm 46:1-11; Psalm 47:1-9)

1{A Song and Psalm for the sons of Korah.} Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness.

2Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King.

3God is known in her palaces for a refuge.

4For, lo, the kings were assembled, they passed by together.

5They saw it, and so they marvelled; they were troubled, and hasted away.

6Fear took hold upon them there, and pain, as of a woman in travail.

7Thou breakest the ships of Tarshish with an east wind.

8As we have heard, so have we seen in the city of the LORD of hosts, in the city of our God: God will establish it for ever. Selah.

9We have thought of thy lovingkindness, O God, in the midst of thy temple.

10According to thy name, O God, so is thy praise unto the ends of the earth: thy right hand is full of righteousness.

11Let mount Zion rejoice, let the daughters of Judah be glad, because of thy judgments.

12Walk about Zion, and go round about her: tell the towers thereof.

13Mark ye well her bulwarks, consider her palaces; that ye may tell it to the generation following.

14For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death.

Love, Walter

Last edited:
Back