Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study I Speak Foreign Languages More Than You All

S

SputnikBoy

Do you all recognize the following scriptures? They don’t read quite as familiarly as you’re used to reading them but they are still 100% accurate. I promise!

…they shall speak in new languages (Mark 16:17)
…began to speak in other languages (Acts 2:4)
…we do hear them speak in our own language (Acts 2:11)
…they spoke in foreign languages and prophesied (Acts 19:6)
…to another many kinds of languages (1 Corinthians 12:10)
…to another the interpretation of foreign languages (1 Corinthians 12:10)
…governments, many different languages (1 Corinthians 12:28)
…do all speak foreign languages? (1 Corinthians 12:30)
…though I speak in the languages of men and (1 Corinthians 13:1)
…whether there be foreign languages they shall (1 Corinthians 13:8)
…I would that you all spoke in foreign languages (1 Corinthians 14:5)
…than he that speaks in foreign languages (1 Corinthians 14:5)
…if I come to you speaking foreign languages (1 Corinthians 14:6)
…I speak foreign languages more than you all (1 Corinthians 14:18)
…with men of other languages (1 Corinthians 14:21)
…wherefore foreign languages are for a sign (1 Corinthians 14:22)
…and all speak in foreign languages (1 Corinthians 14:23)
…and forbid not to speak in foreign languages (1 Corinthians 14:39)

Do any of you practice the above examples of foreign languages in your own church?

Tonuges were given for Ephraim Israel (ten tribes) out in all the nations. They are not an abitrary gift to be abused (or perpetrated with gibberish) in modern day churches.

Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. (the context being Ephraim).

Paul quotes this in 1 Corinthians 14:21, identifying the Corinthians as Ephraimites. He also calls Israel in the wilderness under Moses "our fathers" in 1 Corinthians 10:1, once again identifying these people as non-Jewish, Israelite exiles (exiled no longer through Messiah which is their "liberty").

Zechariah 8:23 Thus saith YHWH of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

Ten men for the ten tribes. This was fulfilled in Acts 2 when Jews received tongues to speak to the Torah-guarding Ephraimites who had come from all nations.

To this day people still do not understand why the gifts of tongues was given.

People don't understand why tongues was given?

Languages? or your spirit man speaking to God. Or your speaking in tongues and others hearing you in their own language.

Your spirit man speaking to God, I understand whats its for. Where di you come up with this conclusion?

You're both spoiling this for me. I intentionally substituted 'languages' for 'tongues' and you've gone back to 'tongues'. :smt018

SputnikBoy said:
You're both spoiling this for me. I intentionally substituted 'languages' for 'tongues' and you've gone back to 'tongues'. :smt018

:o :o :o :o :o

wavy said:
SputnikBoy said:

:o :o :o :o :o

Oh no ...5 looks of totally shocked surprise!

It's just that the word 'tongues' gives rise to a supernatural phenomenon that seems to disappear when the word 'languages' is substituted. And the beauty of this is that 'languages' (Greek 'glossa') is used in all instances of those particular texts that I presented. You will also notice the absence of 'tongue-speakers' from this particular thread (besides Julian's 'spirit-man') since 'languages' instead of 'tongues' removes the icing from the cake.

Do you not see how utterly and unequivocally crafty I was? ;-) :wink: ;-) :wink: ;-)

Ok.. so you substituted tongues w/ languages. But it has the same meaning. it still come from tha same "person". The Holy Spirit.
to another the interpretation of foreign languages
it still insuates a supernatural phenomanon. The Holy Spirit still has to speak through us, when we speak in other "languages" you can't take the Holy Spirit out of this. You won't be able to speak in languages. Or tongues as I like to call it.

1 Corinthians 14:2
For anyone who speaks in a "language" does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.

I knew tongues and languages same thing.

I have already showed you how your spirit man speaks in other languages. It says spirit itself, yet yuo guys change the meaning. :)

living4onlyJC said:
Ok.. so you substituted tongues w/ languages. But it has the same meaning. it still come from tha same "person". The Holy Spirit.
to another the interpretation of foreign languages
it still insuates a supernatural phenomanon. The Holy Spirit still has to speak through us, when we speak in other "languages" you can't take the Holy Spirit out of this. You won't be able to speak in languages. Or tongues as I like to call it.

But I also asked the question in my OP as to how many of you speak foreign languages within your church setting. How many of you do this? That is NOT 'tongues', by the way, but foreign languages.

1 Corinthians 14:2
For anyone who speaks in a "language" does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.

And that means ...what?

I think it's self explanitory. does not speak to MEN but to GOD. He speaks in his spirit. Spirit man talking to God. In corinthians it also says specifically in my spirit I speaketh.

This verse you said is where your spirit man communicates with God. Acts 2 is where you speak in a language you dont know but the others of differnt nationalities understand you.

There are two differnt kinds of tongues or languages.

Yes people at my church speak in tongues. I couldn't tell you what language it is that they speak. It's the same language for the same person, but not every person has the same language. The Holy Spirit speaks though us when we speak in tongues.... or a language as you wish it to be called.

Julian Pyke said:
I think it's self explanitory. does not speak to MEN but to GOD. He speaks in his spirit. Spirit man talking to God. In corinthians it also says specifically in my spirit I speaketh.

This verse you said is where your spirit man communicates with God. Acts 2 is where you speak in a language you dont know but the others of differnt nationalities understand you.

There are two differnt kinds of tongues or languages.

I'm sorry Julian, but I don't believe that. I believe that the definition of 'languages' as per the Holy Spirit never changed from its initial appearance in Acts. And, the spirit that you keep referring to as your 'spirit man' is simply one's breath. The Greek word for ‘breath’ or ‘air’ is 'pneuma'. Paul is speaking in terminology that is quite different to the way we speak today and we need to be aware of this.

What Paul is saying is basically this: " ...he utters mysteries with his breath." In other words, it is not spoken from the mind but is little more than ‘dead air’. It's meaningless. No one is benefiting from whatever it is that is being spoken. In fact, we’re given a good example of this ‘speaking into the air’ in 1 Corinthians 14:9. The spirit in this context, by the way, is small 's' and not the Holy (S)pirit ...large 'S'.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I don't even believe those to whom Paul was addressing even had an in-filling of the Holy Spirit to begin with. This is why Paul was gently admonishing them for whatever it was they were doing that was not edifying to the church. Whatever utterances some were coming out with was UNKNOWN (a mystery) to those around them. Whatever they were doing ...it was wrong ANYWAY since no interpretation was being provided. Therefore they should have remained silent, no ifs or buts.

living4onlyJC said:
Yes people at my church speak in tongues. I couldn't tell you what language it is that they speak. It's the same language for the same person, but not every person has the same language. The Holy Spirit speaks though us when we speak in tongues.... or a language as you wish it to be called.

Okay, I have three questions. 1. Is there anyone in your church who interprets the language being spoken? 2. If not, how do you know or prove that it even IS an authentic language? 3. Assuming someone is speaking Swahili (for argument's sake) is there anyone in your congregation from Swahili Land who might benefit from the message?

then how do you explain in that voice the speaker speaks ot God but not to man?

Holy Spirit, capital S, is the Holy Spirit, part of the trinity.

little s is your spirit man. Just like in Genisis, there is a small s for when God breatehd into him and he became a living soul. at first he was a spirit.

Sorry,

Small 's' for 'spirit' does in no way mean spirit man (where do you get this stuff?). It means breath or wind. The original word in the Greek is 'pneuma', which is more literally translated as 'air' or 'wind' (which could easily be used for breath too). Think of the word, pneumonia or pneumatic, it always has to do with wind (when it has a small 's').

You might want to do some research before coming up with nonense like you have.

Rad.

Where do you guys come from. We all have a spirit, and we, all speak to God.

Ok, so if spirit means breath, go through all the books of Paul and rewrite it to say breath. Then what makes sence?

If I was to speak in japenese in an english speaking congregation NO MAN would understand me and IN THE SPIRIT I'd be speaking mysteries TO GOD. So yes - I believe it to be languages.

^Yes, EXACTLY. I was going to make that point but just wanted to get out of this conversation...

Yes, that is what that means. Has nothing to do with some mystical speaking "in the spirit" to Yahweh.

It's very simple. If you are speaking a language to people who can't understand your language, you are talking to Yahweh (or the air). What you are saying is a mystery to the audience.

I do however believe our spirit prays for us with groanings that 'cannot' be uttered. I think it's important to note that 'tongues' is uttered (as the spirit gave utterance) and the scripture does specifically say 'groanings that cannot be uttered'. I think the Holy Spirit makes intercession for me 24/7 whether or not I'm in prayer.

Back