Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] If humans are apes, why aren't we in the zoo?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I note that discussion of Catholic doctrine is allowed only in specific places. I've tried to adhere to that as much as possible. I have no problem with discussing my faith; I just want to follow the rules.

Dave Slayer said:
If humans are apes, why aren't we in the zoo? I mean, we are both animals, right?

Yes, we are both animals.

So why are animals in zoos then? Because they provide entertainment and education to humans.

There is a fundamental difference in all species' attitude towards the other species. We are all apart of one 'organism' if you will; life, and to an extent we will protect that life (This explains why we don't want to kill kittens), we afford certain rights to the other species.

That said, there are several differences between us and the rest of life. We are intelligent, we can use linguistics, and we have more than just a need for survival. All other animals have the simple and only goal to survive, but we want more, we desire entertainment and societal input.

In a sense we are satisfying all the animal's needs by having them in a zoo, they don't want to be in their apartment writing books; we do (well, some of us ;))

We're not in zoos because our desire for more than survival warrants additional rights.

The Barbarian said:
I note that discussion of Catholic doctrine is allowed only in specific places. I've tried to adhere to that as much as possible. I have no problem with discussing my faith; I just want to follow the rules.
i wasnt going to draw you into one here, i would have asked you via pm.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back