Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

if you dislike some foods

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

YogiD2

how do you eat foods you dislike? some have eaten worms, fruits, strange meats, if you dont like it or want it what do you do or have done?
i have used hot sauce, an excuses, but the other day i had to force myself to eat some stuff i didnt even chew, and latet felt sick.

Last edited:
Why would you eat something that you don't like.I hate mushrooms.I don't eat them.I hate liver.I don't eat it.

being "nice". some vegys i cant stand, an you try not making a guest feel bad you do what ya can.
an years back i ate mre's i didnt want. sometimes it eat or starve...

one morning a young bride at her mother-in-laws breakfast table.. was polite took a bit of everything to her plate... calf brains and scrambled eggs are not a delight .. never again

images

TOG you ewww shouldnt have told me what we were to eat before we ate it... wheewh. i cant even try THAT now i know what it is...

I agree with everyone else, I simply don't eat things I don't like. Of course, I'm not talking about a starving situation as you now mention. That's a different thing. I might eat soup made out of mud from the bottom of a pond in that situation. (Stranded people have done that and not only survived, but survived well on nothing more than mud soup!) I also don't mind trying new things even if they seem disgusting just to see if they really are. (Sometimes they turn out to be good or at least OK, other times not. Like mud soup. It's not as bad as it sounds!) But if I don't like them I just don't eat them again. As for eating something to be polite to a host, well, it depends on how much I don't like it. If I really don't like it, I don't eat it even if it risks offending the host. I don't have to make a big deal about not liking it, I'll just quietly avoid eating it.

The most people I know who are older and can not stand a particular vegetable have said it is because their parents made them eat it when they were a kid.They could not get up from the table until they had finished that vegetable.They have grown to hate it.I told myself I would never,ever do that to my kids.I offered them a taste and if they refused then I could respect that.

The most people I know who are older and can not stand a particular vegetable have said it is because their parents made them eat it when they were a kid.They could not get up from the table until they had finished that vegetable.They have grown to hate it.I told myself I would never,ever do that to my kids.I offered them a taste and if they refused then I could respect that.
I had that happen at school. In elementary school I had to eat lunch in a cafeteria and they had this horrid bean soup that they would force us to eat. Not only did the cafeteria stink from years of filth built up in it, but the soup had a texture that when put together with the stench in the building literally made me vomit sometimes. (I wasn't the only one either). Yet they forced us to eat every last bit of everything they served, including that gruesome swill. It took 45 years for me to get over that to the point that I could eat anything with any kind of beans in it without gagging. Even now, although I can eat beans and have found a few dishes I actually enjoy (while being married to a Mexican lady), I still normally avoid them.

I think it's very true that a lot of our likes and dislikes in food come from childhood experiences that we relate to that food.

Kathi, in some regards it was that way with me. & some didnt care really if i even ate, and some didnt fix what i liked most anytime. i was refused extra, food, if i didnt eat all i was given at that home sometimes. i was name called at times because i am picky...

I had that happen at school. In elementary school I had to eat lunch in a cafeteria and they had this horrid bean soup that they would force us to eat. Not only did the cafeteria stink from years of filth built up in it, but the soup had a texture that when put together with the stench in the building literally made me vomit sometimes. (I wasn't the only one either). Yet they forced us to eat every last bit of everything they served, including that gruesome swill. It took 45 years for me to get over that to the point that I could eat anything with any kind of beans in it without gagging. Even now, although I can eat beans and have found a few dishes I actually enjoy (while being married to a Mexican lady), I still normally avoid them.

I think it's very true that a lot of our likes and dislikes in food come from childhood experiences that we relate to that food.
I love beans.That must have been a challenge to not eat beans and being married to someone who was Mexican :lol
When my daughter was in preschool she would hate some of the dishes they prepared.She would stuff her rolls and hide the stuff.
Because my mom never forced me to eat anything I like most vegetables now.Sometimes I would be curious about some of the things that looked gross to me.I was a pretty fussy eater when I was young.I would think how could she eat that stuff.Well,when I was older my mom asked me if I would like to try it.I did.I actually liked some of those things that looked and smelled gross to me like brussel sprouts or broccoli or sauerkraut.Thanks mom.

Kathi, in some regards it was that way with me. & some didnt care really if i even ate, and some didnt fix what i liked most anytime. i was refused extra, food, if i didnt eat all i was given at that home sometimes. i was name called at times because i am picky...
If I did not like something my mom gave me permission to go and make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.She did tell me that I had to clean up my mess when I made my sandwich.I was so skinny and she was trying to get me to eat things that I liked.I think that is totally ok and not controlling the child to eat something they detest.That is doing some damage.

We are stricter than most I guess. What I have found with kids is that all things green are bad to start with. As they get older their taste buds can take stronger flavors. So we encourage eating a little bit of everything. If you are six you take 6 bites, but they can be itty bitty bites....This worked with Lexy, she was picky, now she loves both tomatoes and onions.
Jake (g-son) doesn't really like any green veggies except green beans, so every evening meal we have green beans and some other veggie. I don't like cooked carrots and he doesn't like peas so we trade when we eat pot pie and stews, etc. He thinks that is a great compromise for both of us. Me, too.
Jake doesn't like eggs either but he likes french toast. One day he watched it being made hmm...
So now he'll eat scrambled eggs with a little jelly or syrup. That works for us.

My mom tried once to force me to finish the peas she had put on my plate. I almost threw up, and to this day, I don't eat peas or beans. But I've heard of even worse. When my sister was 12, she went one summer to a riding school. One day, they had singed sheep heads for dinner.

Svi%C3%B0.jpg

(In case you're wondering, the tongue and eyes are included, and this is where my grandfather got his sheep brains. They don't include the brains any more, though.)

Anyway... Back to the riding school. All the kids there were around my sister's age. There was one American girl there, who had never seen a singed sheep's head before, and she thought it was disgusting and refused to eat it, even after the meat had been cut from the bones. One of the ladies there took the mean, mashed potatoes and mashed rutabaga and stuffed it down the girl's shirt. That was 35 years ago. I doubt that that girl has ever eating singed sheep's head after that. She doesn't know what a delicacy she's missing.

The TOG​

A couple things my kids would not eat they just couldn't...Jr would not eat fish that was not deep fried.... Our daughter would not eat stuffed peppers ... on those days it was help yourself to the peanut butter ..

Back