Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

"I'm Spiritual, Not Religious" ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What the "H" does that mean? Is it like some kinda God without rules? Is it Wicca or Paganism? Do they just make up it up as they go along?

It makes me nuts when I hear that.

im_not_religious_im_spiritual_tshirt-p235917091278210211o8um_400.jpg

Perhaps it means that they don't want to be associated with all the hatred, violence, and politics that are found in organized religion?

Neither.

Being spiritual = Faith in God...following His word... believing.... and has nothing to do with religion.

People who attend church merely a bench warmers, who don't have a personal relationship with our Lord, have religion, not faith.

Hope this helps!

:wave

My experience is that it means the person has spiritual beliefs but isn't associated with any specific religion.

My experience is that it means the person has spiritual beliefs but isn't associated with any specific religion.
Same here, it has been my observation that those who tell me that they are "spiritual but not religious" believe in a God, but follow no religion and usually "make it up as they go along".

Also, very often such people are kinda "holier than thou" in their thinking.

Same here, it has been my observation that those who tell me that they are "spiritual but not religious" believe in a God, but follow no religion and usually "make it up as they go along".

Also, very often such people are kinda "holier than thou" in their thinking.

What about people who specifically follow Biblical teachings but aren't comfortable joining any specific church?

Well...I don't think I'm "religious." I'm spiritual.

I was in an ashram with a guru, but I was there seeking Gods truth.

The "heavy load" of figuring out LIFE and what is true and what's a lie, what to do and what not to do, what to eat what not to eat...nada, nada, nada...what a heavy load to carry on our shoulders. I mean I was being pulled in a thousand directions trying to find the right, perfection...of life.

Well, the "heavy load" was completely lifted off of me and I have been FREE ever since!

While in this ashram... I was praying and seeking God with all my heart.

And to my surprise....IN AN ASHRAM....WITH A GURU...Praise God!! I received revelation of Christ Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. How he destroyed the work of "ying and yang" or good and evil.

He paid the ultimate price of causing the worse to happen to the very best, the completely innocent took on the most horrific punishment. (bye, bye, tree of good and evil.)

Therefore making the payment of and "karma" for anyone who has done any bad whatsoever. At the cross, He took all the payment for all the bad that anyone could ever do. And He was the purest, completely innocent of an harm ever to anyone or anything ever. Yes, God in the flesh, hanging on the cross for me, came to save ME! Paying for all my trespasses.

So I realized that I needed to receive His work on the cross...for me!...and have Him in my life. So I went to a local church, I had attended as a child, where I had seen them baptize people. (funny, they never opened their bibles there, they never prayed for people as far as I could see as a child. I never thought they would of ever had anything useful for me in this life. I didn't realize that they were probable just "religious" not born again...anyway, I asked them to baptize me into Christ. They did. I was baptized into the finished work of Jesus Christ through the cross and I received Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

I have gathered with other followers of Christ, who have him as #1 in there life.

I am non-denominational.

When people tell me they are spiritual...not religious, I say, "me too! I have a personal relationship with God!...through Christ Jesus, my Lord! He wasn't "religious" either."

anyway...I talk too much sometimes...I'll go now.
God bless you.
Jesus Christ has set me free.

What about people who specifically follow Biblical teachings but aren't comfortable joining any specific church?
I know ONE person who does just that, he calls himself a Christian (and I believe that is the case) but he does not say that he is "spiritual but not religious", even tho I think you could make the case that he IS "spiritual but not religious".

But he does not use that phrase.

Hm, that makes me wonder what crowd you hang around with.

I've never had sex in any way, shape, or form; nor have I smoked pot or been around anyone who has.

You live in Toronto? Isn't that like the San Francisco of Canada? But yet you don't know anybody who smokes pot or has sex outside of marriage?

You live in Toronto? Isn't that like the San Francisco of Canada? But yet you don't know anybody who smokes pot or has sex outside of marriage?

Really!? No need to start this. Either discuss the OP or don't. But there is no need to go further the way it's going.

Like the video where this one guy said he likes Jesus but not religion? (I haven't actually watched it, just heard about it.)

There are Christians who would rather not get caught up in the "religion" aspect and feel that that's pretty much what the Pharisees did. And I can see that. I'd rather people see Christianity as having a relationship with God than as a religion. (I don't see it as an excuse to do as we please, either. If we love God, we will want to obey Him. Obedience is part of having the relationship. God is like a parent in some ways.)

That said, the statement "I'm not religious. I'm spiritual." could have a broad meaning and apply to someone who's not a Christian as well.

Like the video where this one guy said he likes Jesus but not religion? (I haven't actually watched it, just heard about it.)

There are Christians who would rather not get caught up in the "religion" aspect and feel that that's pretty much what the Pharisees did. And I can see that. I'd people see Christianity as having a relationship with God than as a religion.

That said, the statement "I'm not religious. I'm spiritual." could have a broad meaning and apply to someone who's not a Christian as well.

Exactly, some people can't stand the video, my sister, a leader at my church can't stand it, the video makes her angry. Yet a friend of hers, the pastors daughter, likes the video. Many people see these in different perspectives.

I got to tell you, I've never met a "spiritual, but not religious" person who had taken any time to study the bible. I often think they want to stay blissfully ignorant of God's word.

No, I live in San Diego. I go to school in Toronto, where I hang out mostly with other science geeks who have a functioning brain and don't want to mess it up with drugs. As for not having sex, I'm well aware of many people who do. The particulars of your question were defined by self-identified religious status, not by geography. I'm not sure why you're now trying to change the parameters of the discussion.

I got to tell you, I've never met a "spiritual, but not religious" person who had taken any time to study the bible. I often think they want to stay blissfully ignorant of God's word.
I've met plenty actually. Reading the Bible actually is the reason many of them actually left the religion aspect of it to be honest.

lol a guy drops acid and smoke pot, then has PIFFANIES!!!11 and is all like "im SPIRITUAL but not RELIGIOUS, like wow, one consiousness, universe is god"

thats roughly how it goes many-a-times

lol a guy drops acid and smoke pot, then has PIFFANIES!!!11 and is all like "im SPIRITUAL but not RELIGIOUS, like wow, one consiousness, universe is god"

thats roughly how it goes many-a-times

I seriously doubt that Straw Man represents the entire mass of people who don't identify with a particular Religious Group.

I thought all you needed was a Bible and a personal relationship with God, not the politics and agendas of a Church group.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back