Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] In everything give Thanks and Praise

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

handy

I'm sitting here at my desk, rather in church tonight, and want to praise the Lord.

As many of you know, we have a little cattle ranch here in our little corner of Idaho. One of our cows moped around for a couple of days and we had to get the vet out. He gave her some shots and she perked right up. The vet warned that she had a viral infection, and that others in the herd might get it.

Well, yesterday morning, our bull wasn't looking too well. Our vet doesn't keep weekend hours, but I figured that the bull would be mopy, but OK until Monday, when we could get the vet back out again. He was in the pasture here by the corral, so it would be simple enough to get him into the corral and chute when the vet came.

This morning, after Steve fed everybody, he was worried because the bull was nowhere to be found. For some reason, probably because he was much sicker than we realized, he left the herd and walked through the fence. We searched for him and finally found him down in our canyon that's in the back pasture and he was 'down', which in cow-talk is a BAD thing. Basically it means that he was lying on his side and dying. Dying in a remote place that would be impossible for us to remove him from, unless we could get him back on his feet.

So, on a Sunday in the middle of hunting season, we had to find a vet who would get us the medications, ASAP; and get down into the canyon; secure a sick bull and give him shots. I finally did track down one vet who keeps emergency hours that lives 2 hours away from here. He was willing to meet me half-way with the medications. Meanwhile, Steve called the kid we hire to help out, and they went down into the canyon, to bring the bull water and basically helped it drink enough water to get it's fever down. By the time I got back with the meds and got the shots ready, his fever had gone down enough for Steve and Randy to get him on his feet. Which was a good thing, in the fact that it increased his chances of survival. But, it was also a tricky thing in that we still needed to give him shots, and he was still in the narrow canyon, and he was strong enough to be on his feet.

I truly want to give God, Who as we all know keeps His eyes on sparrows, bulls, and silly humans who really don't know what they're doing half the time, all thanks and praise that:

a: We were able to secure the bull in the canyon without anyone getting hurt.
b: We were able to give the bull 4 shots, again without anyone getting hurt.
c: We were able to get the 1400 lb animal up and out of the canyon and secured in our corral, again without anyone getting hurt.

and especially D: That I think the bull should pull through OK now, and we won't lose him. Aside from the money lost, he's really a great bull, throws great calves and is generally very gentle. Unless you're trying to make him do something he doesn't want to do. (Like getting shots in the rump or making him climb out of a canyon when he doesn't feel so good.)

Now, if y'all can pray for me tomorrow, because our bull should be feeling much better, and I'm going to have to give him another shot! Also, that the rest of the herd not get this virus. By some creative arranging of some panels, everybody should be easy enough to isolate and medicate if they do get sick, but Steve will be at work, and I'd just as soon not have to do it myself. (Those critters are bigger than me!)

Wow! That's incredible!
Do you have a squeeze chute you can put him in?

I don't want to sidetrack your thread, but I was pertty much raised in Spokane and Cusick Wa and my Dad was born and raised in St. Maries Id. I kinda miss all of the mountains. When I was a teen living in Cusick (near Newport) we had about 50 cows and we used to have to de-horn them and er.. well... the bulls wern't bulls very long. I think they wrote a song about that didn't they? What was that, Rocky Mt way? LOL :-D

Relly though, that's great that your Bull is making a good recovery, especially since he's somewhat tame.

Pickin' and grinnin' and passin' them Rocky Mountain oysters, eh? :-D

And, yes, we do have a squeeze, but the bull broke it the last time we tried to put him in it. (He's tame, but he's still a bull!) I've got some innoculations for the rest of the herd, and we'll run them through the squeeze, but we'll have to tie off Bully-boy. Fun times on the farm, don't you miss them?

Seriously, I do praise the Lord. We will innoculate the rest of the herd as a precautionary, but so far only the bull and one cow became ill. They are fine now, and the rest of the herd seems to be fine too. These cows aren't our major source of income, but they do represent a decent second income and we can't afford to lose them. (not to mention we are rather fond of the onery critters!)

Isn't it wonderful!~ God is always in control- no matter what the situation!! God bless you & thank you God for being an animal lover & people lover to!! Hope your herds going to be okay. I was raised on a farm in Iowa- we raised herfords, hogs both along with chickens.

Rosalee Decker
Home & Garden Party
http://www.homeandgardenparty.com/Home? ... aleedecker
1-360-458-5680
This is the Day that the Lord has made;we shall rejoice & be glad in it

Great stuff here Handy and praise God indeed. :angel:

Unfortunately, the only animals I grew up with other than domestic pets, much more resemble the "animals" from the movie "Animal House". :-D

Ha! pass me an Oyster lol! Yeah, I do miss my younger years. We used to ride the bulls before they got to big... lots of good memories :biggrin

Well, you have a lot to give praises for! God bless you and I hope that all went well with the innoculations!

Well.. I can't resist telling a story of our Bull. We had a small pond that supplied water to the livestock and in mid Aug, you couldn't go swimming in it because the horse flys would literally take chunks of flesh out of you when they bit you. Well, I had a friend who wasn't too smart, and he really enjoyed teasing the bull. Long story short, he was standing down by the pond throwing rocks that the bull's er.. rock.. er.. oysters :-D and was just having a hoot of himself until the bull realized that he was the culprit of his discomfort.

Anyway, the bull took after my buddy and the only place for my buddy to go was, well, you guessed it.. in the pond where the horse flies were. He'd swim across the pond to get away from the bull and the flies, but the bull would meet him on the other side. I swear, the bull kept him in that pond for almost an hour until he finally left. It all started off kinda funny, and it still is, but boy did he have a bunch of pieced of flesh removed from his body once he got out and away from the pond. Tell you what though, it was the last time he ever threw rocks at the bull ;-)

Ok, sorry about that, but I just love some of them old stories lol!

I don't know, sounds like a lot of bull to me! :tongue (Sorry 'bout that but I just couldn't resist.) Good for your Bull. He sounds like my kind of bovine.

An update: the innoculations went as OK as it could with a broken squeeze, some strong rope, a C-vise and hay-string. Wonderful stuff, hay-string, it ranks right up there with Duct tape.

Two more cows got the virus, but we had the meds and I gave them shots at the same time I gave them the innoculations. They didn't get as sick as the first cow and the bull.

The first cow who had the virus had a miscarriage today. The vet said it was because of the high fever she had. She was only pregnant by about a month or so, so she should be able to breed and still have a summer baby. The vet felt she should be OK, without us doing anything as she just wasn't that far along. The other two cows didn't seem to have the high fevers that Sarah and Bully-boy had, so hopefully they won't miscarry. It's sad though, any time there is a death, even if it is just a month or so along, it's sad. I'm hoping we are all through with this episode. This is the first time we've ever had any kind of sickness in our herd, but from what the real cattle ranchers around here have told us, we've been lucky. Or blessed.

Thanks for all your prayers. I know I've seemed fairly light-hearted about all this, but the fact is, it can be quite dangerous for us to work with these 1000-1500 lb animals who don't like it when we poke them with needles and squirt stuff up their nostrils. No one was hurt and the whole herd got innoculated, so praise God indeed.

Amen to that!! God Bl;ess you & your family & protect the rest of your herd as well.

Rosalee Decker
This is the Day that the Lord has made;we shall rejocie & be glad in it

Back