Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study In The Name Of...What Does That Mean?

John 3:18 He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.​

There is only One "begotten Son." Some may believe in Him but do they "believe in the name of the only begotten Son of God?" If not God tells us they are "condemned already."

Condemned - judged, separated, censured

Believe in the Name - the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.

What is "the name of the only begotten Son of God?"

Lord of hosts, Angel of the Lord, I AM, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, Creator, Redeemer, Maker, Saviour, Melchizadek the High Priest forever. He is the Rock, the Bread and Wine, the Living Water, the Shepherd, the slain Lamb, the Alpha and Omega, the Firstfruit of the dead, the Tree of Life, the Ark, the Word. He is the way, the truth and the life. He is jealous, He is love, He feels wrath, He judges and He forgives. He is the still small voice within us. He is Father, Son and Holy Spirit for He is God.

He crucified Himself for us. All He asks in return is to believe in His name.

As I read that verse I asked...am I condemned already or do I believe in His name and all His name conveys? All His roles, His titles, His rank and authority? Do I see Him or deny Him...is our Saviour a stumblingblock to me? My answer is...I believe He is all His name implies but I am surprised at how many don't see Him as the One in all of the above titles and roles.

I don't understand the difference. Could you elaborate?

I don't understand the difference. Could you elaborate?

To believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God....is one thing.

To believe in the name of Jesus Christ is...another thing.

There are some that see Him as a wonderful man, a special man....but not as the Lord God. To me, to believe in His name is to recognize all the names of God and know He is I AM.

The phrase to "believe in the name of" is used many times throughout the Bible. I believe it is very, very important.​

There is no difference. If there was a difference then we would all be condemned because we can't fully understand the majesty of God as expressed through a name. So we believe in Jesus, and trust that He knows the full truth of all His Names.:twocents

the difference is that those who seek ABBA , the Creator, find Him, not part of Him, but Him Himself, by faith in Yeshua through grace, a gift from ABBA to those who don't deserve it.
He is described many different and all good and great ways in Scripture, all those Names and More, so much more.
Completely and Totally filling the Universe and still humble enough He comes down from heaven to dwell with men. even so humble, so humiliating, to be born a man!!! Yet all of His Names are true and holy and set apart and right and righteous and full.
not like a difference, so much as a fuller and fuller realization, revelation of Himself to mankind, and especially to His children.

The definition you seek is in the bible.

Ac 4:7 And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?

His name is his power. Believing in his name means that you believe he is able (has the power) to save you; that's it.

Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord
. (Matt.9:28).

The bible has it's own built in dictionary (at least the KJV does, I don't know about the new versions) if we are patient and look for it.

In the name of means to come in ones authority and presence or to enter into ones authority and.or presence...

Like when one came in the name of the King with some message, they came as the King's presence...their work was the King;s their word was the King's and they had all authority to carry out the word and the consequence should one not follow his decree...just like when one says "Stop in the name of the Law!" You better stop...

The disciples only knew Jesus as a prophet teacher while He was with them. Peter knew Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God, but yet denied Him three times for fear of being killed himself. It would not be until the Holy Spirit fell on them that their Spiritual eyes and ears were opened to understand that Jesus truly was the son of God as being Gods word sent into the world in the form of man and was crucified, dead and buried and God rose him again on the third day and now sits at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us before the Father. Many have heard the name of God and Jesus, but yet have o clue who he truly is.

Mat 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

today in real life, today all around us, (remember for the last several centuries leaders have murdered millions of people 'in his name', apparently truly believing that they were doing god's will (yet quite opposed to Scripture; and admittedly seeking world domination) ) .
today, all around us,
people say they know him, or that they are 'christian' , but they don't . take any one of them, or a group if you dare and know how, aside and talk to them. see if they really do know him, or just think they do, or even just pretend they do to have friends (a favorite).

we live in a dangerous world. the same world in which the 7 sons of sceva knew who jesus was, and saw the disciple casting out demons, and tried themselves to cast out demons in jesus name. the demons said "jesus we know, and paul we know, but who are you!?" and the 7 sons were attacked and driven away naked. (paraphrased summary).

they knew the hebrew name of hashem. they knew people who knew yeshua in person. they had seen demons cast out with a word in the name of yeshua.

but when they tried to do the same think, the demons won!

there are groups in every country who claim claims that claim their claims are better claims than the claims other claims are better claims.

(how's that? for simplicity :confused2 ) ..... that's how the groups keep people deceived and befuddled. line upon line, year upon year, trickery upon trickery, built up like the tower of babel!

http://biblehub.com/acts/19-14.htm
The Sons of Sceva
13But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, "I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches." 14Seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15And the evil spirit answered and said to them, "I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?"…

I have never understood the meaning of this. So the Father has a really big right hand, with 5 fingers including a thumb, and a real man literally is sitting on it?.
it is much simpler than that.

as Jesus said "the words I speak to you, they are spirit, and they are life" ....... just like when He said you must eat my body and drink my blood or you CANNOT BE MY DISCIPLE. he did not recommend cannibalism, no, obviously.

His words cannot be understood by even his own disciple unless he breathes on them. (giving them understanding)

John 3:18 He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.​

There is only One "begotten Son." Some may believe in Him but do they "believe in the name of the only begotten Son of God?" If not God tells us they are "condemned already."

Condemned - judged, separated, censured

Believe in the Name - the name is used for everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc.

What is "the name of the only begotten Son of God?"

Lord of hosts, Angel of the Lord, I AM, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, Creator, Redeemer, Maker, Saviour, Melchizadek the High Priest forever. He is the Rock, the Bread and Wine, the Living Water, the Shepherd, the slain Lamb, the Alpha and Omega, the Firstfruit of the dead, the Tree of Life, the Ark, the Word. He is the way, the truth and the life. He is jealous, He is love, He feels wrath, He judges and He forgives. He is the still small voice within us. He is Father, Son and Holy Spirit for He is God.

He crucified Himself for us. All He asks in return is to believe in His name.

As I read that verse I asked...am I condemned already or do I believe in His name and all His name conveys? All His roles, His titles, His rank and authority? Do I see Him or deny Him...is our Saviour a stumblingblock to me? My answer is...I believe He is all His name implies but I am surprised at how many don't see Him as the One in all of the above titles and roles.
Theres no name higher than love.

Back