Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study In The Pocket

Josef

Hey All,

It is football season. I wait for it every year. I like college football best because most of those guys know college will be the end of their careers. So they are out there for the love of the game (and a free college education).
As I was watching last Saturday's Oregon/Colorado game something came to mind and I believe I need to share it.

Job 1:8-10 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

Rigteous Bragging
Take a good look at verse 8. It reads like the Lord is bragging about Job. Well He is .
1. None other like him (high praise)
2. A perfect and upright man.
upright - Honest just adhering to rectitude in all social intercourse not deviating from correct moral principles as an upright man. ( My dictionary)
3. One that fears God
4. and eschewest evil (Eschew - From old French eschever, "to flee from" (Job 1:1, 8; 2:3; 1 Pet. 3:11). eschewest" is being used a metaphor to describe Job's attitude towards sin. Job ran or fleed from evil. Job is an example of an Old Testament believer.

In verse 9, Satan argues that of course he is so good. You (God) have put a hedge about him. and all that he has.(hedge - Now we know that word as a wall of shubs or small trees.
Hedge can also mean surround for defense to fortify; To inclose; to obstruct;)
You get the idea. Satan saying, "Of course Job is perfect. You are protecting him, his family, and all that he has. I have not been given a fair chance to turn him to the dark side. (Hey, I got a Star Wars reference in here.) In a word, Satan is calling the Lord "unfair." (You see the pirony here right? Yeah, like Satan plays so fair.)

Back to the football game:
The Oregon quarterback would get the ball and watch, then choose the recever and thow the Ball. I have seen this type of play thousands of times. If you watch football, you have seen it also. Sometime, during the game, they showed a play from the quarterback's perspective. I could see that In the midst of all the chaos, the quarterback is safe. He was in what is called the pocket. All around him is chaos, as his blockers protect him from the defensive players who are trying to tackle (or sack) him. But he was safe. His offensive line put a hedge around him.

I want that kind of protection. I want God's hedge around me. If Job can have it, why can't I? I have been thinking about this and it came to me. I do have it. If you are a believer, you have it also. The Holy Spirit within us, to lead and guide us, and angels who protect us from the outside. Check out these passages.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Psalms 91:9-13 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

Hebrews 1:13-14 But to which of the angels said he at any times, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

The Holy Spirit is with us. John 16:13
God will give his angels charge over thee, Psalms 91:9-13 (Charge, in this context, means to entrust to as, an officer is charged with his troops.)
Angels are ministering spirits sent to believers.
Hebrews 1:13-14
What can we conclude?
1. The Holy Spirit guides us.
2. Angels do all of this for believers.
3 They (the Holy Spirit, and the angels) are our hedge.
4. If we give God our burdens, He will block the chaos associated with them., and send angels to minister to us.
5. We can then remain cool and collected.
Why? We are in the pocket. That is the hedge around us.

Football and Scripture, who knew? This thought kept rattling around in my head. I kept getting the thought to figure it out and put it in writing. I resisted because this is just my brain making silly comparisons. But the thought "Put it in writing" continued to nag me. So here it is. I hope this helps somebody out there.
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Very well put together :clap

Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

The lesson from that verse alone is that no matter what comes against us, as we will have trials and tribulations, is that we stand strong in our faith and allow it to grow even stronger.

John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Hey All,

It is football season. I wait for it every year. I like college football best because most of those guys know college will be the end of their careers. So they are out there for the love of the game (and a free college education).
As I was watching last Saturday's Oregon/Colorado game something came to mind and I believe I need to share it.

Job 1:8-10 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

Rigteous Bragging
Take a good look at verse 8. It reads like the Lord is bragging about Job. Well He is .
1. None other like him (high praise)
2. A perfect and upright man.
upright - Honest just adhering to rectitude in all social intercourse not deviating from correct moral principles as an upright man. ( My dictionary)
3. One that fears God
4. and eschewest evil (Eschew - From old French eschever, "to flee from" (Job 1:1, 8; 2:3; 1 Pet. 3:11). eschewest" is being used a metaphor to describe Job's attitude towards sin. Job ran or fleed from evil. Job is an example of an Old Testament believer.

In verse 9, Satan argues that of course he is so good. You (God) have put a hedge about him. and all that he has.(hedge - Now we know that word as a wall of shubs or small trees.
Hedge can also mean surround for defense to fortify; To inclose; to obstruct;)
You get the idea. Satan saying, "Of course Job is perfect. You are protecting him, his family, and all that he has. I have not been given a fair chance to turn him to the dark side. (Hey, I got a Star Wars reference in here.) In a word, Satan is calling the Lord "unfair." (You see the pirony here right? Yeah, like Satan plays so fair.)

Back to the football game:
The Oregon quarterback would get the ball and watch, then choose the recever and thow the Ball. I have seen this type of play thousands of times. If you watch football, you have seen it also. Sometime, during the game, they showed a play from the quarterback's perspective. I could see that In the midst of all the chaos, the quarterback is safe. He was in what is called the pocket. All around him is chaos, as his blockers protect him from the defensive players who are trying to tackle (or sack) him. But he was safe. His offensive line put a hedge around him.

I want that kind of protection. I want God's hedge around me. If Job can have it, why can't I? I have been thinking about this and it came to me. I do have it. If you are a believer, you have it also. The Holy Spirit within us, to lead and guide us, and angels who protect us from the outside. Check out these passages.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Psalms 91:9-13 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

Hebrews 1:13-14 But to which of the angels said he at any times, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

The Holy Spirit is with us. John 16:13
God will give his angels charge over thee, Psalms 91:9-13 (Charge, in this context, means to entrust to as, an officer is charged with his troops.)
Angels are ministering spirits sent to believers.
Hebrews 1:13-14
What can we conclude?
1. The Holy Spirit guides us.
2. Angels do all of this for believers.
3 They (the Holy Spirit, and the angels) are our hedge.
4. If we give God our burdens, He will block the chaos associated with them., and send angels to minister to us.
5. We can then remain cool and collected.
Why? We are in the pocket. That is the hedge around us.

Football and Scripture, who knew? This thought kept rattling around in my head. I kept getting the thought to figure it out and put it in writing. I resisted because this is just my brain making silly comparisons. But the thought "Put it in writing" continued to nag me. So here it is. I hope this helps somebody out there.
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Good post.
If men want the "hedge", they have to do the "trimming".

Hey All,
Thanks for_his_glory. I think of stuff like this from time to time. The ones that nag at me I know I have to share. It is good to hear somebody got something out of it.
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Back