Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Incest

Is incest inherently immoral?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always

• Never

• Depends on scenario

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Didn't know where exactly to put this, but this'll do fine.

Is incest inherently "bad? Or is it somewhat permissible? Certain kinds of incest are okay and others not? Is it okay in only certain scenarios(look in the Bible)?

Taboo subject, I know. I personally veiw certain incestual relationships as always "bad", and a few as permissible under certain circumstances or scenarios. I'll elaborate if anyone wants me to.

Discuss.

Incest with cousins is morally acceptable. Incest with any other family member is not.

Darck Marck said:
Is incest inherently "bad? ..... I'll elaborate if anyone wants me to.

Discuss...

Disgusting you mean! What kind of question is that? I personally do not want you to elaborate, Frankly, I have better ways to waste my time.

I'd agree with video. I just think it's disgusting. If I'm not mistaken, i think there was a point in scripture where it became unacceptable. However, I could be wrong about that...

Adam and Eve were the first (and only) human beings and did not have any genetic defects, their children had no other choice than to intermarry. God did not forbid inter-family marriage until much later when there was enough people that intermarriage was not necessary (Leviticus 18:6-18)
By then the human genetic code has become increasingly “polluted†over the centuries as genetic defects are multiplied, amplified, and passed down from generation to generation.

• Leviticus 18: 6. `None of you shall approach anyone who is near of kin to him, to uncover his nakedness: I am the Lord.
    7. `The nakedness of your father or the nakedness of your mother you shall not uncover. She is your mother; you shall not uncover her nakedness.
    8. `The nakedness of your father's wife you shall not uncover; it is your father's nakedness.
    9. `The nakedness of your sister, the daughter of your father, or the daughter of your mother, whether born at home or elsewhere, their nakedness you shall not uncover.
    10. `The nakedness of your son's daughter or your daughter's daughter, their nakedness you shall not uncover; for theirs is your own nakedness.
    11. `The nakedness of your father's wife's daughter, begotten by your father she is your sister you shall not uncover her nakedness.
    12. `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's sister; she is near of kin to your father.
    13. `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother's sister, for she is near of kin to your mother.
    14. `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's brother. You shall not approach his wife; she is your aunt.
    15. `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter-in-law she is your son's wife you shall not uncover her nakedness.
    16. `You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother's wife; it is your brother's nakedness.
    17. `You shall not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter, nor shall you take her son's daughter or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness. They are near of kin to her. It is wickedness.
    18. `Nor shall you take a woman as a rival to her sister, to uncover her nakedness while the other is alive. [/*:m:ca7fe]

Abraham married his half-sister Sarah. Other biblical patriarchs also followed the practice before the Law was given. Yes, Adam and Eve's genetics would have been pure enough that mental slowness or physical handicap wouldn't be an issue. After the Law was given incest became a sin probably for the reasons Judy had pointed out. That Law was given to the Jews so I can well imagine the practice continued in other societies outside the Hebrew community.
I believe this law is another means with which God protected His people from the consequences of corruption.

I want to point out that my post is consistent with Judy's. Cousin marriage is considered incest in the US, but is not included biblically in the laws prohibiting incest.

Judy said:
By then the human genetic code has become increasingly “polluted†over the centuries as genetic defects are multiplied, amplified, and passed down from generation to generation.
God forced incest upon the family of Noah. They were genetically polluted.

I put down it depends. I can envision a couple of senarios where it would be ok. One is if the survival of humanity depends on incest. Another one is if the people were separated at birth and found each other (and were infertile).

Quath

I do find it disgusting and morally wrong.....but here's a perspective that i don't think most know...

in the egyptian days and even in the days of Troy....the royal families interbred to keep the blood lines (it is seen in England presently). For many generations this can happen without terrible genetic diseases (but it does show up eventually like the english royal family). When you inbreed, you either get the worst of the worst genes (what most people associate with incest as retardation or deformation) or you get the best of the best. In Troy this is why they inbred, to breed warriors with the best of the best genes. What happened when they didn't get that combination? The baby was thrown out on the rocks to be carried away in the sea. :sad :sad :sad

This has nothing to do with the topic really but when i heard that it was very interesting because it provides an explanation on why people might have inbred in the past.

I put down it depends. I can envision a couple of senarios where it would be ok. One is if the survival of humanity depends on incest. Another one is if the people were separated at birth and found each other (and were infertile).

Haha, I guess I could agree with this, but wow those are quite weird and rare situations. Were you thinking star wars?:lol:

funny about star wars, she ended up with Han Solo.
And uhm....yeah. By the time all the bad genes caught up with the Pharaohs, they were all crazy. so yeah.
I agree that it's disgusting, and I have male cousins around my age....ew!

Yeah I was thinking Star Wars. I remember really hoping that Luke would get the girl. (I liked Han better as I grew older.) Even after it was revealed they were siblings, I kept hope even though everyone around me said stuff like "they kissed... yeck"

Quath

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back