Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Infinite Perfection

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
R

robsl

Infinite perfection
By Robert S. Lockett

Psalm 119; 96 To all perfection I see a limit; but your commands are boundless (NIV).

Many perceive the idea of an absolute reality or divine way as limiting the options of existence and thereby harming objectivity. Law is seen as a confine rather than a cohesive fabric. This is a misconception that I wish to dissolve if I am able. It is the perfect law which manifests freedom from conflict and the resulting decay. It is a perfect system yet never imposed.

When one imagines a perfect system, it is common to notice the limit to its horizon. It is natural for finite beings to do so, but that is a rather incomplete analysis if we stop there. Take a circle for example, it is perfect by definition and yet limited by its circumference. What about squares and triangles etc.? Does the perfect circle leave them out of the picture? We often fail to realize that perfection can be added to without end, as long as the whole system remains perfect. Imagine a geometric pattern with an endless variety of circles, as well as other shapes added, so long as they fit the overall theme or nature.

In a computer program, the information available as well as its function is limited only by time, space, and energy of the programmer, etc. As long as the end result is without error, the program will operate as designed. However, if an error does occur; if some component of the whole system misses its mark, then the system breaks down either slightly or completely and outside correction is required. In either dysfunction, the result is the same, as the perfect unity of the system is lost.

Since every system in this universe is chained to the entropic reality of the second law of thermodynamics, my illustration is obviously just an analogy. A computer and its software are not absolute (ultimately perfect). My thesis is for illustrating the common practice of denying the possibility of a non-entropic reality that underlies our existence. The key to such a reality is a power that is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and altogether unfailing; the glory of God.

Far from limiting humanity, the harmonious reality expressed in the Biblical word of God and fulfilled by Jesus Christ opens the door to observe a truth at work that transcends entropy, our finite universe, and unites all things into a divine order that has no limit. Not even death.

For simplicity, imagine again the geometric pattern that only gets richer and richer. The building of layers and dimension are as infinite conceptually as our conceptions of the infinite in any other area such as ‘space’. As long as the components are doing what they were designed to do, there is no limit to the additions of any sort provided they are achieved in unity with the whole. This denotes proper placement and order of things, not the demise or limitation of them. Clearly, the richness of our universe from the sub-atomic to the galactic reflects the incalculable potential for order to be expressed to an extent that transcends simple mathematical equations.

In such a system, time would evaporate as the process of decay may well not exist and the end would not threaten the individual parts. Perhaps it is more accurate to say that time would be transcended by eternity (a much different sort of measure). With proper (perfect) discipline, I see no reason to exclude any legitimate purpose or pleasure that exists in life within the parameters of such selflessness and commitment to order.

In light of that, our only danger (as we presently witness) would be to assume control of the whole, of which we are only part. There is no need to desire such control other than to bring glory to an individual part that belongs to another, or the whole. In fact, the only ‘real’ glory of any one dimension or part of a perfect system is in the fact that its proper place is realized and fulfilled. Then the part would actually be in concert with, and contributing to the divine wonder of the ever expanding horizons of being. Being perfect (real), it would not be possible for the part not to exist. Each part becomes essential and meaningful to the whole of existence. In Psalm 119; 96 king David delights in the boundless nature of the law of God and I believe we can understand the nature of the truth and its source that he is worshipping.

God is whole and complete and wills us to live in His reality that we were designed for. We were designed for perfection. We set our bar far too low without Him. Without Him, we cannot conceive of what is ultimately His vision (we wouldn’t expect to). We are commanded to be perfect and He intends to make us whole again if we let Him (He will not give us less). Only He is capable of that. We are so far removed from this reality of His that we do not even desire to attain such an existence. He only asks that we believe in His perfection and turn (repent) from expecting less. We must accept His offer and choose it by humbling ourselves. Fortunately, He has the ability to give us the strength to endure the transition. One only need ask Him for it. We can trust that our faith is well placed, as nothing can replace or outdo perfection. It is simply more real than anything else.

As a Christian, I believe based on empirical, rational, and personal experiential evidence, that we can see that reality even now ‘as through a glass’ by way of a personal relationship with Christ. The truth reveals itself and it’s opposition, and sets us free from any deception. As finite natural creatures, we miss the mark, but God does not. We need not have faith in ourselves, when we can have faith in the perfect one. It is in the pre-natural or super-natural that the answers are found; the infinite nature of the God’s truth.

His perfection is the reality we are so feeble to find on our own within our finite selves. What is reality? As G.K. Chesterton said, the only philosophy is the philosophy that is eternal (paraphrased). It is the absolute truth; the will of God. As Jesus said, ‘my kingdom is not of this world’, but He did in fact create it. He is the uncaused I/you relationship who said, ‘Let us create man in our image’. In Him, all things consist. We may very well discover, on the other side of this life that the invisible anti-matter theorized by so many physicists, is in fact the mighty hand of God. He spoke the universe into being, so that ‘being’ would not be limited to Himself or His glory. God did not choose to stay ‘in perfection’ as He always was in His triune nature, so being love, He chose to create ‘infinite perfection’.

Hi Robsl: I'm not sure completely what your main point is, but I would agree with a number of points, namely: That God is completeness and perfection, and that all truth abides in Him and in His Son, Christ Jesus, our Lord; for all was in Him, before anything was created, and all is out of Him: Quoting Rom. 11:33-36 in the CV:

"O, the depth of the riches and the wisdom and the knowledge of God! How inscrutable are His judgements, and untraceable His ways! For who knew the mind of the Lord? or, who became His adviser? or, who gives to Him first, and it will be repaid him? seeing that out of Him and through Him and for Him is all: to Him be the glory for the eons! Amen!"

Comment: "all" in the last line above is literally "the all things."

I believe a Biblical definition of "perfect" or "perfection" etc, is necessary.
What definition do you have?

Using Young's Concordance: in the OT, the words generally translated "perfect", "to be perfect" or words to that effect, in the KJV, are from Hebrew words meaning: 'with understanding, completion, plain,
integrity, to be finished, completed.

In the NT: The various words from the Greek mean: "ended, complete, fitted; to fit throughly, adjust; to make an end of, complete; to end; exactness, accuracy."

As for 'the infinite nature of God's truth', I have found it in Christ Jesus, who says "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

And all who true Christians know The Truth.

You quote G.K. Chesterton. He uses the pharse "the philosophy that is eternal". High sounding words. But, if "eternal" means "without beginning and end", then who can know that kind of philosophy?

My friend, as you said "In Him, all things consist" which is from Rom.11:33-36 quoted above, and "it's in the pre-natural or super-natural that the answers are found." I would insist that the answers are found in God's revealed Word, the Scriptures.

In closing, a good verse is 2 Pet. 1:4, AV, "Whereby are given to us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world lust."

Bye for now, Bick

Your thread title:

Infinite perfection

Perfection is perfection, regardless how infinite it is. Infinite perfection is redundant. ;)

Yes I agree Novum. You are perfectly correct. So correct are you that you stated it with 100% absolute pinpoint accuracy. Which is infinitely much more better than what he said. :-?

mutzrein said:
Yes I agree Novum. You are perfectly correct. So correct are you that you stated it with 100% absolute pinpoint accuracy. Which is infinitely much more better than what he said. :-?

If you're going to disagree with me and argue that there are different "kinds" or "levels " of perfection, then do so. Without the sarcasm.

I believe a Biblical definition of "perfect" or "perfection" etc, is necessary.
What definition do you have?

Using Young's Concordance: in the OT, the words generally translated "perfect", "to be perfect" or words to that effect, in the KJV, are from Hebrew words meaning: 'with understanding, completion, plain,
integrity, to be finished, completed.

Hi Bick, I didn't have a definition per se, but the one you provided is certainly sufficient.

Sorry for any amateurish theology, I was simply trying to show that freedom and real life is within the bounds of God's will. So many, (including myself at one time) think that law or boundaries are restrictive. I now see that God's boundaries are what will enable us to experience eternal life.

As for the ending, I am sorry it was not clear. We are finite creatures who have become eternal in Christ. So... Before creation perfection was perfection and infinite. But it did not include the finite. Only God's Son was able to overcome the finite so that it too could become perfect.

Lord of heaven and earth...

I hope that makes it clearer. It is a difficult point, and a non-essential for sure, but it is as glorious a detail and perspective as any.

May God richly bless you, Rob

Novum said:
mutzrein said:

If you're going to disagree with me and argue that there are different "kinds" or "levels " of perfection, then do so. Without the sarcasm.

What? I wasn't disagreeing with you, as I said 'yes I agree Novum' and I would have thought that you could see that I was taking a light hearted prod at the author of the 'infinite perfection' statement by using similarly redundant words.

BTW - on a totally different issue - Do you speak or understand Hebrew?

Cheers

mutzrein said:
What? I wasn't disagreeing with you, as I said 'yes I agree Novum' and I would have thought that you could see that I was taking a light hearted prod at the author of the 'infinite perfection' statement by using similarly redundant words.

Fair enough.

BTW - on a totally different issue - Do you speak or understand Hebrew?

I was born and raised Jewish, Bar Mitzvah and all. Though I can assure you that, at this point in my life, any hebrew I may have learned or been able to read has been thoroughly forgotten. ;)

Back