Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Intrusive thoughts

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I am looking for the Christian perspective about this. When I was younger I went through a period where I would constantly get bombarded by these violent, perverse obsessive thoughts. They basically came out of nowhere during a depressive stage I went through. The doctors classified it is a form of psychological OCD but I am not convinced now. Fortunately they subsided significantly and then altogether once I began my walk with Christ. I now believe that they were demonic in origin because of how sick some of them were. I should also add that they started up during a time when I used to smoke pot excessively and used psychedelic drugs sometimes, too. I could have possibly let some evil spirits into my life when experimenting with these devilish substances. Your thoughts or maybe similar experiences?

Well, the word "witchcraft" in Galatians 5:20 (King James Version) and "sorceries" in Revelation 9:21 and 18:23 (KJV) are translated from the original Greek word "Pharmakeia" That's the same word we get our English word "pharmacy" from. So there does seem to be some sort of connection between drugs and evil spirits.

This is not to say that using drugs to heal disease is bad. Clearly in both witchcraft and sorcery, there is an emphasis on spirits, not on healing a disease. But when drugs (even including alcohol and other common stuff like loads of caffeine in coffee and energy drinks) are used for the wrong reasons, it seems we are opening ourselves up to demonic influences.

Maybe this is why your symptoms disappeared when you became a Christian. Or maybe God healed you of a mental illness. Hard to say. But if I were you, I would definitely stay clear of drug abuse, alcoholism, and any spiritual activities that do not involve God!

I am looking for the Christian perspective about this. When I was younger I went through a period where I would constantly get bombarded by these violent, perverse obsessive thoughts. They basically came out of nowhere during a depressive stage I went through. The doctors classified it is a form of psychological OCD but I am not convinced now. Fortunately they subsided significantly and then altogether once I began my walk with Christ. I now believe that they were demonic in origin because of how sick some of them were. I should also add that they started up during a time when I used to smoke pot excessively and used psychedelic drugs sometimes, too. I could have possibly let some evil spirits into my life when experimenting with these devilish substances. Your thoughts or maybe similar experiences?

The word used for 'sorcery' in Scripture is the same root word we use for pharmaceuticals---drugs. Demons attach themselves to drug use. You are very correct in your thinking, but as you are undergoing a transformation in your life in Christ, these beings are repelled.

Sometimes they are completely displaced by the Lord in your life and other times people experience crisis and they will rear their ugly heads again, revealing that they have only been quiet.

Don't be dismayed if sometime in your future you have another go-round in a crisis. Being aware is being forearmed! You can renounce them and cast them out by the authority of Jesus Christ He gives you. Make sure you are free in Christ---free indeed!

Thanks for the comments. And yes, I have sworn to myself to never fall back into that type of lifestyle again. At my lowest point, and as an atheist, I had called out to Jesus for help and he immediately answered me. For the first time in months I had some peace of mind. Although I realized soon after this that I will need to abandon my sinful ways if I can retain spiritual clarity. Faith without works is dead...

Thanks for the comments. And yes, I have sworn to myself to never fall back into that type of lifestyle again. At my lowest point, and as an atheist, I had called out to Jesus for help and he immediately answered me. For the first time in months I had some peace of mind. Although I realized soon after this that I will need to abandon my sinful ways if I can retain spiritual clarity. Faith without works is dead...

God-Bless-You-1.jpg

That sounds a lot like the drugs you were taking, they can cause that. There are also forms of ADD that can cause that. But I think you're probably right about demonic influence.

There is a connection between deliberately harming the body (including the mind) and your spiritual life.

Mark 12:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

[FONT=arial,helvatica][SIZE=-1]1 Corinthians 6:
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

So Jesus commands us to love the Lord with the mind and Paul says that the body is the temple of the Holy Ghost. So going against these passages could allow demons to affect you somehow.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm also reminded of this verse:

And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient- Romans 1:28 (KJV)

God bless you as well, Alabaster. :)

I know a brother in Christ who thought that one day he would go to a Luciferian/Satanic community website and one of the major topics was how to get people hooked onto cigarettes because they believed they attracted demons. It just goes to show that you have to look after your body and not poison it.

Amen. My musical selection has changed because of this as well. I can't see how Christians can listen to metal or rock that is so blasphemous, and promotes immorality.

I think it was the Satanist Aleister Crowley who promoted the idea that if they wanted to get rid of Christianity they would just have to change the music in the Churches. Alot of the time the lyrics to the songs dont make sense or are irrational. I would recommend that you read the lyrics to a song and see if they are Biblical or not. I believe that God showed me to be careful to what i listen to.

If you want to break bad intrusive thoughts then just listen to sermons, hear the Word of God each day on audio and the bad thoughts should leave.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back