Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is Al Mohler Right?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

SolaScriptura

2024 Supporter
Al Mohler is a well know solid Evangelical leader, whose teachings I have been listening to for many years. He is a very gifted man, and greatly used by the Lord for His Kingdom.

I have seen online today, that Mohler, who has spoken out against women as becoming "pastors", actually endorses a woman as becoming president of the Conservative Southern Baptist Convention. This seems to me to be double-standards, as it puts a woman in the position of leadership and authority, over many men.

I am interested to see what others have to say on this

Al Mohler is a well know solid Evangelical leader, whose teachings I have been listening to for many years. He is a very gifted man, and greatly used by the Lord for His Kingdom.

I have seen online today, that Mohler, who has spoken out against women as becoming "pastors", actually endorses a woman as becoming president of the Conservative Southern Baptist Convention. This seems to me to be double-standards, as it puts a woman in the position of leadership and authority, over many men.

I don't see any issue or double standard. Likely, based on what Paul says in 1 Tim 2:12, Mohler would argue, as I would, that Paul is speaking of corporate worship only, not university classrooms, not Sunday school, not "Conventions."

I don't see any issue or double standard. Likely, based on what Paul says in 1 Tim 2:12, Mohler would argue, as I would, that Paul is speaking of corporate worship only, not university classrooms, not Sunday school, not "Conventions."

This Bible is quite clear, that in no place of Christian gatherings, can a woman have a position of leadership or authority, when men are present

1Co 14:34 The women should keep quiet in the churches, for they are not authorized to speak, but should take a secondary and subordinate place, just as the Law also says. [Gen. 3:16.] - Amp Bible

1Co 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.
1Co 11:8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man.
1Co 11:9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man

1Ti 2:8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting;
1Ti 2:9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,
1Ti 2:10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.
1Ti 2:11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission.
1Ti 2:12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

This Bible is quite clear, that in no place of Christian gatherings, can a woman have a position of leadership or authority, when men are present

1Co 14:34 The women should keep quiet in the churches, for they are not authorized to speak, but should take a secondary and subordinate place, just as the Law also says. [Gen. 3:16.] - Amp Bible

1Co 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.
1Co 11:8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man.
1Co 11:9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man

1Ti 2:8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting;
1Ti 2:9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,
1Ti 2:10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.
1Ti 2:11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission.
1Ti 2:12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.
Again, the context is that of corporate worship, not elsewhere.

then you are Biblically wrong!

Modern world-views have ZERO to do with what the Bible is very clear on!
What does that have to do with what I said? Please re-read my posts and, based on what I said, do you think that I think it's okay for women to be pastors? It's actually pretty clear.

#6 seems you are arguing for woman pastors
Not at all. In post #6 I'm only addressing the context that Paul is talking about, which is corporate worship, and means that I'm saying that women shouldn't be pastors. I also said there is no double standard because universities, conventions, etc., are not corporate worship. You cannot take what Paul says specifically of corporate worship and generalize it to other contexts.

Not at all. In post #6 I'm only addressing the context that Paul is talking about, which is corporate worship, and means that I'm saying that women shouldn't be pastors. I also said there is no double standard because universities, conventions, etc., are not corporate worship. You cannot take what Paul says specifically of corporate worship and generalize it to other contexts.

OK thanks. I misread you

Link not working.

I tried that link and brings me to a paywall.

I tried searching the Tennessean for the article but came up empty, also used key words in 2 different browsers to find any reference to Al Mohler on this.

Anyhow, I like Al and believe he is very solid.

I agree with Free that the context of the verses provided are for corporate worship.

However, I would like to know what responsibilities come with being President over at SBC.

Does the President elect Pastors/teachers, theologians?
Do they help create/change statement of faith, etc.
What can they bring to the table on Spiritual issues within the convention itself?

I may be way off base on my questions about the President of SBC, I am ignorant to this.

Without much knowledge on this it is hard to make an assessment. But I would say no, a woman should not be in that position.

You are correct in saying Mohler does not endorse woman in leadership positions within the church.

In the Old Testament Deborah led the Israelites. If Ruth had not married Boaz there would be no David.
In the New Testament Paul also writes about another woman who invited him to her home so he could teach her whole family about Christ. There is also scripture that describes that the women who followed Christ helped and supported Him as He ministered to others.

Finally, Paul lived (as we also live) in a male-oriented society that discounted the gifts God gave to women for many different pursuits in this life (which would include leadership). I believe that is a serious error because we know that God loves ALL His children (male or female). And gifts us (male or female) with His Gifts (one of which would be the calling to lead).

If we truly say we believe in Christ then we understand that Christ helped male and female when they humbled themselves to ask Him for His Help and we also need to help (and lead) according to the examples He taught us to follow.

In the Old Testament Deborah led the Israelites. If Ruth had not married Boaz there would be no David.
In the New Testament Paul also writes about another woman who invited him to her home so he could teach her whole family about Christ. There is also scripture that describes that the women who followed Christ helped and supported Him as He ministered to others.

Finally, Paul lived (as we also live) in a male-oriented society that discounted the gifts God gave to women for many different pursuits in this life (which would include leadership). I believe that is a serious error because we know that God loves ALL His children (male or female). And gifts us (male or female) with His Gifts (one of which would be the calling to lead).

If we truly say we believe in Christ then we understand that Christ helped male and female when they humbled themselves to ask Him for His Help and we also need to help (and lead) according to the examples He taught us to follow.

You say all of this. However God Incarnate the Lord Jesus Christ did not choose even one femail to be His Disciple! And then made them leaders.

Why do you think that Jesus didn't call even one woman?

It has nothing to do with time culture because Jesus did things against the traditions of the world!

His endorsement is unbiblical.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back