Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Anime a sin or does it have sinful roots?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Soldiers

Philippians 1:21
I like anime (my profile picture is of my favorite character Goku), but I've scarcely looked at the origins of anime, and they didn't look the Christ-like. Is anime sinful and/or have dark roots? Or is it fine?

I like anime (my profile picture is of my favorite character Goku), but I've scarcely looked at the origins of anime, and they didn't look the Christ-like. Is anime sinful and/or have dark roots? Or is it fine?
I absolutely love anime. (Not all of it, of course but who does.)

If you have a true faith gifted from God, He will show you what needs to be removed from your life. There is a LOT of anime that I would call inappropriate- and I don’t watch them if they are overly sexualized because that is definitely one thing that happens in some of the genre/ because of the culture - however, what I find is that I am able to watch the ones I choose because as an artist, I get inspired - also the STORIES can be so amazing…truly works of art. Even Paul references worldly things when preaching to non believers. We aren’t meant to be ignorant to culture / things people write / make, rather we are meant to be as aware as we can (as lead by God.) And the MUSIC in anime too can be sooo beautiful - and music is very important in my relationship with God (God invented music 😉 and I am neurodivergent and sound sensitive). ❤️

I have a few shows I consider gems 💎 that are my favorites, and most of them probably have a part or two that I’m like “hmm not my favorite part” BUT - think about the Bible - it does not shy away from the dark, wicked parts of history and acts that humans committed. This is part of the human existence. I think - for me anyway - that being able to watch things that other “believers” or people in general may “judge” me for with an open mind (also a mind guided by God) allows me to gain insight that I otherwise would not have - and be able to relate to people in ways that other believers may not be able to reach.

As long as it is not a stumbling block - causing you to sin - as long as you know in your heart it is not a sin, then it is not a sin.

If we give these things power - that’s the only reason they might have it. People trying to say “don’t do this” or “don’t watch this” tends to reek of legalism…

But, Romans 14 explains (using a dispute over food/sinful eating) that if we believe something to be a sin in our lives, then it is sin. If not, then it’s not. Romans goes on to say one person holds one day in higher regard than another (holidays) but to someone else, every day is alike. “Let each be fully convinced in his own mind” - the key is FULLY convinced, and not by/because of yourself, but God.

This is a very personal, very deliberate part of having a relationship with God. We have to ask ourselves what those things are in our lives that are sins and examine them. I would say: ask yourself why you might think watching anime is a sin (anime itself is not a sin, sins are committed by people, missing the mark of holiness. This earth is “fallen” and missing the mark constantly!)

I agree - some anime is not beneficial…this goes for nearly anything people make, honestly...But I certainly love some anime for many reasons and have no issue sharing that 🥰 because it only strengthens my relationship with God in a personal way - because it’s part of who I am as a person / artist / story lover / mom.

Hope that helps 🥰

The first anime I saw was back in the 1980s in a series called "Superbook." It was not called "anime" then; rather, it was termed "Japanimation." Later it took the term for animation used in Japan: anime.

Clearly Superbook was NOT sinful or dark as it was all Bible stories. So I think anime is in itself neutral. It is just an artistic style, like styles of music.

Is there evil in anime? Of course. There are false gods, demons and witchcraft. You can also get promiscuous and perverted sexuality. So I see it like anything else. Look at it and avoid the bad stuff. I am sure there are some wholesome animes out there somewhere.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

We use it Soldiers, cartoon characters have always appealed to children in ways that approaching them as adults cannot do. It makes it easy for us to fulfill our commission found at Deut 6:6,7

There are very few anime series a Christian can watch without violating the commands of God's word. Fan service, yaoi, hentai, common pedophilic/homosexual/bestial relationships, flagrant demonism and overtly occultic themes, hyper-violence, idiot life philosophies, and so on, makes anime, by-and-large, a very risky business for a Christian. If you take Philippians 4:8 at all seriously, it rules out 99% of all anime.

Psalm 101:3
3 I will set no wicked thing before my eyes...

Ephesians 5:8-12
8 For you were at one time in darkness, but now are you light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

I absolutely love anime. (Not all of it, of course but who does.)

If you have a true faith gifted from God, He will show you what needs to be removed from your life. There is a LOT of anime that I would call inappropriate- and I don’t watch them if they are overly sexualized because that is definitely one thing that happens in some of the genre/ because of the culture - however, what I find is that I am able to watch the ones I choose because as an artist, I get inspired - also the STORIES can be so amazing…truly works of art. Even Paul references worldly things when preaching to non believers. We aren’t meant to be ignorant to culture / things people write / make, rather we are meant to be as aware as we can (as lead by God.) And the MUSIC in anime too can be sooo beautiful - and music is very important in my relationship with God (God invented music 😉 and I am neurodivergent and sound sensitive). ❤️

I have a few shows I consider gems 💎 that are my favorites, and most of them probably have a part or two that I’m like “hmm not my favorite part” BUT - think about the Bible - it does not shy away from the dark, wicked parts of history and acts that humans committed. This is part of the human existence. I think - for me anyway - that being able to watch things that other “believers” or people in general may “judge” me for with an open mind (also a mind guided by God) allows me to gain insight that I otherwise would not have - and be able to relate to people in ways that other believers may not be able to reach.

As long as it is not a stumbling block - causing you to sin - as long as you know in your heart it is not a sin, then it is not a sin.

If we give these things power - that’s the only reason they might have it. People trying to say “don’t do this” or “don’t watch this” tends to reek of legalism…

But, Romans 14 explains (using a dispute over food/sinful eating) that if we believe something to be a sin in our lives, then it is sin. If not, then it’s not. Romans goes on to say one person holds one day in higher regard than another (holidays) but to someone else, every day is alike. “Let each be fully convinced in his own mind” - the key is FULLY convinced, and not by/because of yourself, but God.

This is a very personal, very deliberate part of having a relationship with God. We have to ask ourselves what those things are in our lives that are sins and examine them. I would say: ask yourself why you might think watching anime is a sin (anime itself is not a sin, sins are committed by people, missing the mark of holiness. This earth is “fallen” and missing the mark constantly!)

I agree - some anime is not beneficial…this goes for nearly anything people make, honestly...But I certainly love some anime for many reasons and have no issue sharing that 🥰 because it only strengthens my relationship with God in a personal way - because it’s part of who I am as a person / artist / story lover / mom.

Hope that helps 🥰
Interesting. (Each Number represents each line)

1. Same, I can only do the action-based ones the other ones I can't take (and pls no gore)
2. Same, anime is an art, I wish wish WISH I could create my own, I already have all the storyboarding done and even how the anime characters look (kindaof), all the seasons are planned out. Anime has a way of bringing to reality what cannot be done in real life movies or art. I also do love music, although I try to stick to Gospel music, Ezekiel 28:13 says satan is a master musician, so any music not dedicated to Christ I am weary of, and music is cognitively proven to manipulate the mind, mood, and thought process.
3. Also with the amazing creativity anime can inspire it can also bring a world of non-amazingness, (most anime is probably made by non-committed-to-Christ individuals, many directors are actually very antichrist). Becoming all things to all men is very crucial in relating to individuals to win them over. However having an open mindedness allows anything to enter at will, and satan will be the first at the door, that's why we need God's discernment and know what is of him and what isn't. 1 Corinthians I believe says, "Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do unto the glory of God" and another verse that says, Psalm 119:37, Matthew 6:22, and Psalm 101:3, which instruct us to keep our eyes clean and not behold what is worthless, also if its clean then our body will be clean since it's the lamp to our bodies. Thats why I originally asked.
4. True, additionally as long as it never takes away from our relationship with God, if anything it should add.
5. Define your view of legalism if you may.
6. Not quite, God defines sin in his Word, then based on His Word he applies that to out lives, we have to beware of who is the Spirit and the one pretending to be the Spirit., we defining sin is what God the oxymoron of gay Christian, or Christian feminist, or I-dont-believe-Jesus-was-perfect Christian or God isn't the Trinity, etc.
7. Yes indeed

And lastly I am definitely in agreement with you, we need discrenment and discretion then once he got that we can go into the world and win souls! Thanks for your feedback, very helpful

most certainly, i have the amount of times ive argued this found it that practically all of these sketches contain vast elements of homosexuality, pedophilia, demonology and other degenerate issues that are glorified and even sneaked into the viewers mind as to accept them or glorify it
as i grew up watching dragon ball z - in which goku is from, i would say thats bordering on being just a cartoon and actual anime, it is manga correct?
by memory the only things i recall as being really bad in terms of christianity would be him turning himself into some type of god (blasphemy) and talking to a dragon, a serpent (a god? the devil??) to attain what, infinite power? this would sound a lot like selling your soul to the devil- hm. and then there was something about a monkey monster which again
ah yes, full moon, some type of warewolf that humanoids turn themselves into, this would bleed into the concept of satanism, satan is oftenly portrayed as half man half beast- worrying. this character would usually have red eyes and be in a psychotic frenzy, sounds very much like some type of possession

and this is glorified as being an "ultimate form", there are numerous other characters that morphs and gains power by for instance killing people, sucking out their life force- like a demon would parasite off a person
oh lord, and theres even a charater with a "M" on his forehead who has protruding horns and their race is called demons? they are well glorified and seen as "cool"
and this was just the "anime" they allowed on TV!
many such characters with demonic features, horns...

so yes, even the most innocent anime dragon ball z is festering with demonic activity- anime is quite throughly very risky to watch if you want to be holy. you may study it closely to understand that it is indeed very bad and distance yourself appropriately

most certainly, i have the amount of times ive argued this found it that practically all of these sketches contain vast elements of homosexuality, pedophilia, demonology and other degenerate issues that are glorified and even sneaked into the viewers mind as to accept them or glorify it
as i grew up watching dragon ball z - in which goku is from, i would say thats bordering on being just a cartoon and actual anime, it is manga correct?
by memory the only things i recall as being really bad in terms of christianity would be him turning himself into some type of god (blasphemy) and talking to a dragon, a serpent (a god? the devil??) to attain what, infinite power? this would sound a lot like selling your soul to the devil- hm. and then there was something about a monkey monster which again
ah yes, full moon, some type of warewolf that humanoids turn themselves into, this would bleed into the concept of satanism, satan is oftenly portrayed as half man half beast- worrying. this character would usually have red eyes and be in a psychotic frenzy, sounds very much like some type of possession

and this is glorified as being an "ultimate form", there are numerous other characters that morphs and gains power by for instance killing people, sucking out their life force- like a demon would parasite off a person
oh lord, and theres even a charater with a "M" on his forehead who has protruding horns and their race is called demons? they are well glorified and seen as "cool"
and this was just the "anime" they allowed on TV!
many such characters with demonic features, horns...

so yes, even the most innocent anime dragon ball z is festering with demonic activity- anime is quite throughly very risky to watch if you want to be holy. you may study it closely to understand that it is indeed very bad and distance yourself appropriately
That's why I moved to Super... not fully free from that stuff, but Z was more wilder

Hey All,
What is the purpose of anime?
I see it as putting adult content into children's literature or cartoons.
Why? Why do children need this. Why are there so many adults into this? I see them on the news when they have their conventions. Seriously, there are adults who dress up like their favorite characters. I liked Roadrunner and Wil E Coyote, and/or Tom and Jerry. I don't dress up like them.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
What is the purpose of anime?
I see it as putting adult content into children's literature or cartoons.
Why? Why do children need this. Why are there so many adults into this? I see them on the news when they have their conventions. Seriously, there are adults who dress up like their favorite characters. I liked Roadrunner and Wil E Coyote, and/or Tom and Jerry. I don't dress up like them.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Anime isn’t all adult, it’s a medium. Anime means ‘Japanese Animation’, so any animation from Japan is anime, that includes many shows that look like an average American cartoon. Anime itself isn’t bad as it’s an umbrella term, but I know you’re referring to inappropriate and evil anime specifically. Japan’s biggest religions are Shintoism and Buddhism, so a lot of anime end up having elements of those in them, so that’s one thing. Many are inappropriate as well, but this is mainly because 1. A lot of anime has a cuter artstyle that, as a result, makes the characters often look younger, and that combined with the fact that Japan and east Asia in general has a p*rnography problem (specifically child p*rn), a lot of creepy Japanese guys blessed with artistic ability use their skill to draw teenage or adult characters that look like children in weird ways, resulting in the many disgustingly inappropriate anime out there. And 2. A lot of anime is made for adults, and it lists that on its age rating, but once it came over to the west parents would just put it on because it was a cartoon and theres this American assumption that all cartoons are for kids, when really animation is a way to show more creativity than you could in live action, whether it be more mature or not. As for the convention part, personally I don’t dress up but many people do, like how Star Wars, Star Trek, Sci-fi fans do, and I think that’s mostly because anime fans and Scifi fans are usually “nerdy” in a way so it’s just a pop culture thing that people do for fun. All in all, anime itself isn’t bad, you have to judge based of the show or movie. A lot have a lot violence too, but it’s almost always in a good vs evil way were you’re rooting for the good characters, and even then a big portion of anime is just casual romance or characters going about their daily lives and funny things happening.

Even though it doesn't specifically address the OP, the above post is informative for the OP so I will let it stand but I want to include a reminder that in this Q&A forum, the rules do not allow for debating or addressing other members. We must focus on answering the OP's questions only.

God and the bible have to come before entertainment. That is hard for Americans. We have so much entertainment. Just a quick prayer in the morning and a little bit here and there. Study the bible. Ask God to make you sensitive to the holy spirit. I'm making myself do these things as I Start my day. Discipline is never easy. Anything is better than nothing. Whatever works best for you. Sometimes people do these things before they go to bed. Just have a moment in a day or night to pour your heart out and listen to the holy spirit and God's word.

Back