Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is eternal security…

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
Is eternal security or perpetual state of justifying grace a reformed doctrine? Or a doctrine of reformed believers?

Thks

Its a biblical Doctrine, those whom The Shepherd gives Eternal Life shall never Perish says He Jn 10:27-30

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

30 I and my Father are one.

Jude 1:24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, 25 To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.

Free willers will say "yeah, He is able to keep you from stumbling as long as you keep yourself from stumbling.
Kinda takes away the whole message of the verse, don't you think?

1 John 3:9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

It means "cannot continue to keep on sinning." It means that they will eventually overcome.
1 John 5:4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. . . .

Notice all the times in Revelation, the letters to the 7 Churches uses the words "he who overcomes."

Rev. 2:7 . . . To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life which is in the Paradise of God.’
2:11 . . . He who overcomes will not be hurt by the second death.’
2:17 . . .To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna . . . .
2:26 He who overcomes, and he who keeps My deeds until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations
3:5 He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments . . .
3:12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God . . .
3:21 He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne . . .

But the problem is many come forward and give a confession of faith and are baptized and are thus declared to be Christians or born again and do fall away.
What is the logical answer.
It has to be that they were never born again, because John says it won't happen.

Whatever

1 John 3:9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

I can understand this in two ways, the one born of God cant sin the sin of apostacy, because that nature being born of God cant sin period, being born of incorruptible seed 1 Pet 1:23

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Or True Believers are the Seed of Christ, the Son of David, and God made an everlasting Covenant with David His Chosen, typical of Christ, that his seed would endure forever Ps 89:28-29,35,36

28 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him.

29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.

35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.

36 His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me.

The word endure means:

to abide, remain, continue

So 1 Jn 3:9 declares Christs seed, remains, continues, in Him

But the problem is many come forward and give a confession of faith and are baptized and are thus declared to be Christians or born again and do fall away.
What is the logical answer.
It has to be that they were never born again, because John says it won't happen.
Agreed
There are verses about continuing in the faith. Those with “true” faith will not fall away. The purpose of these verses is always to warn those who are thinking of falling away or have fallen away that it is a strong indication that they were never saved in the first place (1 John 2:19 They went out from our number, but they did not [really] belong to us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us. But [they withdrew] that it might be plain that they all are not of us.).

Fastfredy0

for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us. But [they withdrew] that it might be plain that they all are not of us.).

Correct because John knew the promise of them born of God 1 Jn 3 9

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Back